Gun Show Price question...

Hi all. I'm heading to the Plymouth show this weekend and was wondering what to expect for prices. Yes this will be my first show. I am mainly interested in finding a good deal on an AR either complete, complete upper or kit - lower.

What I am wondering is if I will be able to find something for around the same price I would pay to order a basic kit online. Online the base model kits run around $450-550 depending on the configuration. My goal is to come home with a platform I can build on without having to wait several months for the online store to build head space and ship my order. I'm hoping some of you who went to the Oct show in Plymouth will chime in and let me know what you were seeing for prices. Or any general "gun show pricing rules" that I don't know about. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chad

BTW: I already stopped showering 2 days ago and am thinking cowboy boots w/ ACU shorts a wife beater and Kevlar helmet out to have me fitting rite in LOL...

Bought an AR in Marlboro last year, I was surprised that they wouldn't move much on their prices, talked to almost everyone there selling AR's. I probably spent about $40-$50 OVER what I could have bought it somewhere else but all the local shops were back ordered and I had to have it TODAY! I think they realize we have that addiction and when you see something you want the price almost doesn't matter.

Don't expect much , a lot of firearms are over priced by more than 50 bucks but there are some good deals. I bought a ballester molina 45acp for a very very good price at the Plymouth show in October

The absolute best way to approach the show is as though you do not expect to buy anything at all.
If you go there with the intension of buying then you will not look around enough to take it all in and appreciate what is there.
Also the usual murphy's law applies here and that is when you are not in a position to buy and just do not have the money you will see and find the most increadable deals you ever saw.
Now when this happens you need to just go for it anyway.
Keep this in mind, ask yourself how many guns you own now and then think back to when you bought them.
It was never what you planned, it was never the right time, and you did not actaully have the extra cash BUT you seem to have done it anyway.
Now just repeat that and all is well.
Have you ever met someone who sat down and told you all about there perfect plan of when they bought their house and when they had their first child and how it was all perfect and according to the plan.
I F-ING HATE THESE PEOPLE But we have all met at least one and guess what they are lying to you and it was all bull s..t
GO to the show HAVE lots of fun and BUY what ever you want now while you still can
Remember Tomorrow may not ever come
I hate people that say "well we'll see" or hey this is just for now.
As for the price, most of the gun shop guys out there are fighting every day just to stay alive in this business so if it looks like a good deal and it is in your hand now then take it and help keep them alive in this game.

I go to gun shows to find rare, hard-to-find items like specific replacement parts that are no longer manufactured. You always look for the bargains (and be prepared to swoop in with the cash if you see them), but they are few and far between.

Getting run-of-the mill, standard guns and parts at a gun show is like doing grocery shopping at the local Quickie-Mart. Sure, they have what you're looking for, but plan on paying significantly more for the convenience of buying it on the spot.

Vendors have to pay their bills too, so I don't hold it against them. But If they are charging more than a slight premium over what you can get online, it's not worth the "convenience premium."

Add to all this the results of the recent election and the sudden rush to gear-up, and you have a receipe for world-class price-gouging.

Best advice - know what you're looking for, be prepared to negotiate for the best possible price, and if the premium is not worth it - walk away. Some vendors will get it, and move their prices down to meet expectations. Others will remain firm - they're the ones who keep bringing the same stuff to the shows over and over again. It's like they don't really want to sell anything - they just want to show you all the neat guns they have!

Good luck at the show - I'll be there too. I really have everything I need, so it's more for the entertainment value.

Cash is king......I went to the one in Wilmington last time it was there, found a tactical shotgun I wanted. Offered to pay cash, got a $100 taken off the price. Just be smart about what you're after, do your homework. Know what something is worth so you know a deal when you see one. Remember everything is open to negotiation, and don't be afraid to walk away from it.

Thanks for the responses. Plenty of useful info here. I didn't really find what I was looking for as far as ARs go so I went with #2 on the wish list and picked up a sweet 92FS from Precision Armament. Overall the show was as expected. The wife was a real trooper patiently checking every table with me. Thanks again for the info all...

Back
Top Bottom