• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Sales Increase with Mass Shooting Events

MaverickNH

NES Member
MSvsBGC.png "The findings of this study suggest an association between mass shootings and changes in gun purchases, observed on a comprehensive timescale. Identification of media coverage and fatalities as significant factors underlying this association invites further study into the mechanisms driving gun purchase changes, holding implications for public health response to future gun violence."
A Time-Series Analysis of Firearm Purchasing After Mass Shooting Events in the United States. - PubMed - NCBI

"Before October 2011, there was no statistically significant sustained effect of mass shootings on sales (except Col[umbine]); however, since a statistically significant proportional spike in sales occurred in the months immediately following every single deadliest mass-shooting event. Every year since 2012, CA has strengthened gun laws in response to mass shootings yet sales have risen immediately preceding enactment of these laws each January... The number of fatalities from a shooting was significantly associated with a decrease in handgun permits, with an increase of 1 fatality from a shooting reducing the odds of handgun permit decreases by a factor of 0.73 (95% CI, 0.53-1.00; P = .049)."
Effect of Mass Shootings on Gun Sales - A 20 Year Perspective. - PubMed - NCBI

Sales of air conditioners rise in the summer and spike before, during and after a forecast heat wave. Why would gun sales differ with mass killings and new gun laws?

Last edited:
They got me figured out! Bought AR #2 after Sandy Hook and an AK after Paris attacks (11/15)
Hell, if they really want to slow the sale of guns, they should figure out a way to make mass shootings illegal! Brilliant

To me it looks like they had the graph and just added the events in. There’s as many on the downslope of purchases as on the upslope. A lot of them aren’t even well known.

I want to see a study done and a corresponding graph for gun and ammo sales spikes after Democrat politicians open their stupid mouths about anything. Hilary sold more guns than anyone, ask any LGS or dealer!

In other words, water is wet. I'm sure there was a ton of liquor-buying in the lead-up to Prohibition.

Back
Top Bottom