Gun sale/possession in CT

GSG

Just a quick question for those in the know here.

I know a man in his 90's who lives in Connecticut who has an old shotgun and pistol that he's had since forever. He's not a prohibited person of any kind, but he wants to sell the guns legally.

I know there's a permit to purchase/LTC in Connecticut, and he doesn't have either, but I'm wondering two things:

1. Is any law being broken?

2. How can he legally sell the guns, and what are the regulations for him to sell through FTF or FFL?

Thanks for the help, searching hasn't given me any answers on this particular area of the law.

Thanks. He didn't have any permit revoked, as far as I know he's had these guns since the 30's when life with guns was a whole lot different than it is today.

Based on my reading of CT law it seems like it'd be legal for him to have them in the house or to transport them to an FFL to sell, but I really don't know for sure, I'm not well versed on the specifics of these CT laws.

Nothing in CT for long gun transfers. For Handgun transfers you need to complete a DPS 3 form and call the state for an authorization number. If he does not have a pistol permit, then they will ask for some of his personal information to complete the transfer.

Nothing in CT for long gun transfers. For Handgun transfers you need to complete a DPS 3 form and call the state for an authorization number. If he does not have a pistol permit, then they will ask for some of his personal information to complete the transfer.

OK, great, thanks for the info.

It's an 1870-ish pinfire revolver, so since it's pre-1899 does it still need the DPS 3 form?

see bolded section:

Sec. 29-33. Sale, delivery or transfer of pistols and revolvers. Procedure. Penalty. (a) No person, firm or corporation shall sell, deliver or otherwise transfer any pistol or revolver to any person who is prohibited from possessing a pistol or revolver as provided in section 53a-217c.

(b) On and after October 1, 1995, no person may purchase or receive any pistol or revolver unless such person holds a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (b) of section 29-28, a valid permit to sell at retail a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (a) of section 29-28 or a valid eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to section 29-36f or is a federal marshal, parole officer or peace officer.

(c) No person, firm or corporation shall sell, deliver or otherwise transfer any pistol or revolver except upon written application on a form prescribed and furnished by the Commissioner of Public Safety. Such person, firm or corporation shall insure that all questions on the application are answered properly prior to releasing the pistol or revolver and shall retain the application, which shall be attached to the federal sale or transfer document, for at least twenty years or until such vendor goes out of business. Such application shall be available for inspection during normal business hours by law enforcement officials. No sale, delivery or other transfer of any pistol or revolver shall be made unless the person making the purchase or to whom the same is delivered or transferred is personally known to the person selling such pistol or revolver or making delivery or transfer thereof or provides evidence of his identity in the form of a motor vehicle operator's license, identity card issued pursuant to section 1-1h or valid passport. No sale, delivery or other transfer of any pistol or revolver shall be made until the person, firm or corporation making such transfer obtains an authorization number from the Commissioner of Public Safety. Said commissioner shall perform the national instant criminal background check and make a reasonable effort to determine whether there is any reason that would prohibit such applicant from possessing a pistol or revolver as provided in section 53a-217c. If the commissioner determines the existence of such a reason, the commissioner shall deny the sale and no pistol or revolver shall be sold, delivered or otherwise transferred by such person, firm or corporation to such applicant.

(d) No person, firm or corporation shall sell, deliver or otherwise transfer any pistol or revolver, other than at wholesale, unless such pistol or revolver is equipped with a reusable trigger lock, gun lock or gun locking device appropriate for such pistol or revolver, which lock or device shall be constructed of material sufficiently strong to prevent it from being easily disabled and have a locking mechanism accessible by key or by electronic or other mechanical accessory specific to such lock or device to prevent unauthorized removal. No pistol or revolver shall be loaded or contain therein any gunpowder or other explosive or any bullet, ball or shell when such pistol or revolver is sold, delivered or otherwise transferred.

(e) Upon the sale, delivery or other transfer of any pistol or revolver, the person making the purchase or to whom the same is delivered or transferred shall sign a receipt for such pistol or revolver which shall contain the name and address of such person, the date of sale, the caliber, make, model and manufacturer's number and a general description of such pistol or revolver, the identification number of such person's permit to carry pistols or revolvers, issued pursuant to subsection (b) of section 29-28, permit to sell at retail pistols or revolvers, issued pursuant to subsection (a) of said section, or eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver, issued pursuant to section 29-36f, if any, and the authorization number designated for the transfer by the Department of Public Safety. The person, firm or corporation selling such pistol or revolver or making delivery or transfer thereof shall give one copy of the receipt to the person making the purchase of such pistol or revolver or to whom the same is delivered or transferred, shall retain one copy of the receipt for at least five years, and shall send, by first class mail, or electronically transmit, within forty-eight hours of such sale, delivery or other transfer, one copy of the receipt to the Commissioner of Public Safety and one copy of the receipt to the chief of police or, where there is no chief of police, the warden of the borough or the first selectman of the town, as the case may be, of the town in which the transferee resides.

(f) The provisions of this section shall not apply to antique pistols or revolvers. An antique pistol or revolver, for the purposes of this section, means any pistol or revolver which was manufactured in or before 1898 and any replica of such pistol or revolver provided such replica is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition except rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and not readily available in the ordinary channel of commercial trade.

Awesome, just what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.

So to sell the shotgun FTF, he'd just have to confirm that the buyer was over 18, correct?

I know there is no min age in CT to possess a long gun..and after looking through the CGS i don't see any age on selling a long gun at all..just 18 for sale by an FFL....

The Fed GCA has the min age covered for us. Why duplicate effort? The more state laws on gun control = more trees cut down for paper to write laws down = more bald eagles without a home = more deceased bald eagles. See? Gun control is un-patriotic in so many ways....

I know there is no min age in CT to possess a long gun..and after looking through the CGS i don't see any age on selling a long gun at all..just 18 for sale by an FFL....

Huh, that's interesting. Thanks.

The Fed GCA has the min age covered for us.

That only applies to dealer sales. It's perfectly legal for an 18 year old to buy a handgun FTF in Florida (if they're a resident), and other states as well. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom