Gun Owners Deny Owning Guns, Say Researchers

”Believe it or not, people are reluctant to tell total strangers about their potentially controversial activities. In particular, Rutgers University researchers say, gun ownership is something many Americans decline to reveal when questioned by people they don't know. That's especially true of women and minorities newly among the ranks of gun owners amidst the chaos of recent years. Academics are unhappy that privacy-minded respondents impair their understanding of the world we live in, but such evasion is an inevitable consequence of decades of fiery debate and punitive gun policies.

"Some individuals are falsely denying firearm ownership, resulting in research not accurately capturing the experiences of all firearm owners in the U.S.," says Allison Bond, a doctoral student with Rutgers University's New Jersey Gun Violence Research Center and lead author of "Predicting Potential Underreporting of Firearm Ownership in a Nationally Representative Sample," published last month in Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. "More concerningly, these individuals are not being reached with secure firearm storage messaging and firearm safety resources, which may result in them storing their firearms in an unsecure manner, which in turn increases the risk for firearm injury and death."[i/]

😅😂🤣
A couple of years ago, a Boston mayor tried to get some law passed that mandated all health care professionals in Massachusetts "screen" their patients for gun ownership. The proposal went nowhere. Most savvy gun owners, licensed or not, would deny ownership. This is as it should be!

A couple of years ago, a Boston mayor tried to get some law passed that mandated all health care professionals in Massachusetts "screen" their patients for gun ownership. The proposal went nowhere. Most savvy gun owners, licensed or not, would deny ownership. This is as it should be!

The nurses where I go don’t ask that question. But one day the doctor did. I used the meme:

Dr. “Do you have guns in your home?”
Me. “Doc, I have one in your office”

Not sure I get your meaning. I'm doing it wrong by bringing my 7yr old daughter out shooting with me? As far as the girl scouts this was her first year. I really don't know much about it but I will be learning since my wife will be a troop leader starting next season. Maybe it is something on their list. IDK? If it is then I have zero issue bringing them out for a day.

I didn't say I kept me owning guns a secret to her friends parents. I've mentioned it. Some seem interested and others not so much. What I don't want to be is a barrier to her making and keeping friends. If people are not interested I don't bring it up again.
So you’re reading the room, that’s good. You may be in the wrong room though.

310df4d3-8546-4698-8c42-5edec0f0d611_text.gif
Thank god!! I got a little worried there for a minute!

I remember when that started. They were already asking if I wore a seat belt. The Health Tech asked "Is there a gun in your house?".

Me: **crickets**

3-4 seconds pregnant pause

Health Tech: Ok then...had any falls recently?

”Believe it or not, people are reluctant to tell total strangers about their potentially controversial activities. In particular, Rutgers University researchers say, gun ownership is something many Americans decline to reveal when questioned by people they don't know. That's especially true of women and minorities newly among the ranks of gun owners amidst the chaos of recent years. Academics are unhappy that privacy-minded respondents impair their understanding of the world we live in, but such evasion is an inevitable consequence of decades of fiery debate and punitive gun policies.

"Some individuals are falsely denying firearm ownership, resulting in research not accurately capturing the experiences of all firearm owners in the U.S.," says Allison Bond, a doctoral student with Rutgers University's New Jersey Gun Violence Research Center and lead author of "Predicting Potential Underreporting of Firearm Ownership in a Nationally Representative Sample," published last month in Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. "More concerningly, these individuals are not being reached with secure firearm storage messaging and firearm safety resources, which may result in them storing their firearms in an unsecure manner, which in turn increases the risk for firearm injury and death."[i/]

😅😂🤣

When I receive a pollster call, I disconnect and block the number. I don't think that's really unusual for conservatives. Liberals are like Vegans. They also are afraid of guns and don't own any.

Accordingly, something like 97% of the people actually polled are libs.

If they ever got an accurate poll, they'd discover the truth, that Americans collectively own over a BILLION guns, and are present in 62% of American homes.

Even the "published" numbers are amazing.

American civilians own at least 400 million guns.

All the militaries in the entire world, including the US, Russia, China and all the others, own about 133 million guns.

I hope a liberal reads this, realizes it's true (other than the obvious hyperbole at the beginning) and has a stroke.

When I receive a pollster call, I disconnect and block the number. I don't think that's really unusual for conservatives. Liberals are like Vegans. They also are afraid of guns and don't own any.

Accordingly, something like 97% of the people actually polled are libs.

If they ever got an accurate poll, they'd discover the truth, that Americans collectively own over a BILLION guns, and are present in 62% of American homes.

Even the "published" numbers are amazing.

American civilians own at least 400 million guns.

All the militaries in the entire world, including the US, Russia, China and all the others, own about 133 million guns.

I hope a liberal reads this, realizes it's true (other than the obvious hyperbole at the beginning) and has a stroke.
"Allegedly" im only on this website because how else am i going to find video of a woman molesting a duck.. master electrical advice...threads about the ukrainian war with incredible insight and stupidity 3 posts apart...and threads about befriending squirrels in the deep woods of maine instead of getting laid. All in the same place

"Allegedly" im only on this website because how else am i going to find video of a woman molesting a duck.. master electrical advice...threads about the ukrainian war with incredible insight and stupidity 3 posts apart...and threads about befriending squirrels in the deep woods of maine instead of getting laid. All in the same place
Ginger Squirrely Dan GIF by Crave

When I receive a pollster call, I disconnect and block the number. I don't think that's really unusual for conservatives.
When I get pollster calls I get out a die and my nice loud dice tower.

Them: "Will you vote for Hitler or Stalin for President in the next election?"

Me: "Let me think..." *Clackity clackity clackity* "Um, 4, that's even, so... Stalin."

Them: "Whose policy on cannibalism do you more closely align with? Hitler's or Stalin's?"

Me: "Let me think..." *Clackity clackity clackity* "Um, 1, that's odd, so... Hitler."

One should be able to say “F*ck off” in a variety of ways, from direct/crude to indirect/polite, depending on the circumstances. When people I know ask me if I own an AR-15, I usually say “An AR-15, as in one?” When they pause, understanding my meaning, I then say “Guns and skeletons in the closet are family business not discussed in polite company.” One Progressive Left VP at work said “You guys from New Hampshire all own AR-15s, right”? I said “We don’t talk about guns, bibles, politics and sex toys at work, David.”

BTW, the paper is behind a $40 paywall. The authors could have paid an Open Access fee to allow free access, but chose not to do so. How ironic they rue lack of availability of information to do their gun violence research but make their work inaccessible.

Perhaps they explain in the paper why they used 2010 census demographics to conduct their study. Having expressed concern about changes in demographics of gun ownership in recent years, why not use 2020 census data?

One should be able to say “F*ck off” in a variety of ways, from direct/crude to indirect/polite, depending on the circumstances. When people I know ask me if I own an AR-15, I usually say “An AR-15, as in one?” When they pause, understanding my meaning, I then say “Guns and skeletons in the closet are family business not discussed in polite company.” One Progressive Left VP at work said “You guys from New Hampshire all own AR-15s, right”? I said “We don’t talk about guns, bibles, politics and sex toys at work, David.”

BTW, the paper is behind a $40 paywall. The authors could have paid an Open Access fee to allow free access, but chose not to do so. How ironic they rue lack of availability of information to do their gun violence research but make their work inaccessible.

Perhaps they explain in the paper why they used 2010 census demographics to conduct their study. Having expressed concern about changes in demographics of gun ownership in recent years, why not use 2020 census data?
They spent all their grant budget on wine and paying for publication ;)

I don't follow politics...What is it that Liberals want with guns in Mass?

Start on page 1 of the comments. Then read to page 56.

Back
Top Bottom