Gun Owners Deny Owning Guns, Say Researchers

MaverickNH

NES Member

”Believe it or not, people are reluctant to tell total strangers about their potentially controversial activities. In particular, Rutgers University researchers say, gun ownership is something many Americans decline to reveal when questioned by people they don't know. That's especially true of women and minorities newly among the ranks of gun owners amidst the chaos of recent years. Academics are unhappy that privacy-minded respondents impair their understanding of the world we live in, but such evasion is an inevitable consequence of decades of fiery debate and punitive gun policies.

"Some individuals are falsely denying firearm ownership, resulting in research not accurately capturing the experiences of all firearm owners in the U.S.," says Allison Bond, a doctoral student with Rutgers University's New Jersey Gun Violence Research Center and lead author of "Predicting Potential Underreporting of Firearm Ownership in a Nationally Representative Sample," published last month in Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. "More concerningly, these individuals are not being reached with secure firearm storage messaging and firearm safety resources, which may result in them storing their firearms in an unsecure manner, which in turn increases the risk for firearm injury and death."[i/]

😅😂🤣

More concerningly, these individuals are not being reached with secure firearm storage messaging and firearm safety resources, which may result in them storing their firearms in an unsecure manner, which in turn increases the risk for firearm injury and death

lol, resistance to scrutiny. My AK-48 assault bat is safely at the bottom of the sea. Safe and sound. Right next to that submersible thing designed by interns.

Last edited:

”Believe it or not, people are reluctant to tell total strangers about their potentially controversial activities. In particular, Rutgers University researchers say, gun ownership is something many Americans decline to reveal when questioned by people they don't know. That's especially true of women and minorities newly among the ranks of gun owners amidst the chaos of recent years. Academics are unhappy that privacy-minded respondents impair their understanding of the world we live in, but such evasion is an inevitable consequence of decades of fiery debate and punitive gun policies.

"Some individuals are falsely denying firearm ownership, resulting in research not accurately capturing the experiences of all firearm owners in the U.S.," says Allison Bond, a doctoral student with Rutgers University's New Jersey Gun Violence Research Center and lead author of "Predicting Potential Underreporting of Firearm Ownership in a Nationally Representative Sample," published last month in Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. "More concerningly, these individuals are not being reached with secure firearm storage messaging and firearm safety resources, which may result in them storing their firearms in an unsecure manner, which in turn increases the risk for firearm injury and death."[i/]

😅😂🤣
Mexico What GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

Doesn't surprise me at all. Take myself as an example. My kid is 7. She is making new friends all the time from school, the boys and girls club, girl scouts, and various sports she is involved with. I want her to be able to maintain those friendships without one of my hobbies scaring away those that are ignorant to what we actually do with guns. I put holes in paper. It is like when I tell people I used to race motorcycles. First question is always how fast do you go. I tell them I have no idea. I'm too busy looking ahead to where I'm going to look down at the dash which is wrong anyway.

Every now and then I toss out a feeler. Let them know I'm a member of a club where we can go fishing, do archery or shoot guns. Let them know my daughter both fishes and shoots my 22s. If they seem interested then we move on from there. I don't offer up what I actually have in my safe. It is none of their business and if they are anti then I could be bringing unwanted attention my way. If they don't seem interested then I don't bring it up again. On a side note we waited a bit to have kids. I find it odd sometimes I'm normally the old man in the room even though I may not look it.

Now if some random person came up to me and asked if I owned guns I might say no. Never know what kind of craziness is coming along. At the most I may offer up that I hold a LTC in this state. They can take that to mean whatever.

There are 4 things I have learned never to discuss with people.

Religion, politics, gun ownership, and The Great Pumpkin

and that's the problem because effectively gun ownership becomes fringe and abnormal, meanwhile pedos are normalizing themselves.

no one is asking people to become martyrs for the cause, but being quiet is an acceptance and an invitation for more tyranny. Most people here won't see it happen, but most our kids will.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Take myself as an example. My kid is 7. She is making new friends all the time from school, the boys and girls club, girl scouts, and various sports she is involved with. I want her to be able to maintain those friendships without one of my hobbies scaring away those that are ignorant to what we actually do with guns. I put holes in paper. It is like when I tell people I used to race motorcycles. First question is always how fast do you go. I tell them I have no idea. I'm too busy looking ahead to where I'm going to look down at the dash which is wrong anyway.

Every now and then I toss out a feeler. Let them know I'm a member of a club where we can go fishing, do archery or shoot guns. Let them know my daughter both fishes and shoots my 22s. If they seem interested then we move on from there. I don't offer up what I actually have in my safe. It is none of their business and if they are anti then I could be bringing unwanted attention my way. If they don't seem interested then I don't bring it up again. On a side note we waited a bit to have kids. I find it odd sometimes I'm normally the old man in the room even though I may not look it.

Now if some random person came up to me and asked if I owned guns I might say no. Never know what kind of craziness is coming along. At the most I may offer up that I hold a LTC in this state. They can take that to mean whatever.
You’re doing it wrong.

We have our Cub Scout, you read that right, Cub Scouts, qualify as junior marksmen. Not all of the parents are gun people, but they all appreciate it. We’re a small town and we have two recon marine parents in cub scouts (very small troop). Even the few non-gun people appreciate the instruction.

I’ve made some great new friends by inviting other parents from our kids sports teams and scouts over for some pew-pew-pew. Some experienced, some not, whatever. Not anyone was offended, I’d know who to keep my kids away from!

So, Reason missed the opportunity to use "closeted" language (or even our local favorite, "the gun safe") to describe the behavior. A shame. I'm sure the researchers can't possibly see the parallel.

More concerningly, these individuals are not being reached with secure firearm storage messaging and firearm safety resources, which may result in them storing their firearms in an unsecure manner, which in turn increases the risk for firearm injury and death.
Yeah, that for sure isn't happening but I like the way they twisted that.

You’re doing it wrong.

We have our Cub Scout, you read that right, Cub Scouts, qualify as junior marksmen. Not all of the parents are gun people, but they all appreciate it. We’re a small town and we have two recon marine parents in cub scouts (very small troop). Even the few non-gun people appreciate the instruction.

I’ve made some great new friends by inviting other parents from our kids sports teams and scouts over for some pew-pew-pew. Some experienced, some not, whatever. Not anyone was offended, I’d know who to keep my kids away from!

Not sure I get your meaning. I'm doing it wrong by bringing my 7yr old daughter out shooting with me? As far as the girl scouts this was her first year. I really don't know much about it but I will be learning since my wife will be a troop leader starting next season. Maybe it is something on their list. IDK? If it is then I have zero issue bringing them out for a day.

I didn't say I kept me owning guns a secret to her friends parents. I've mentioned it. Some seem interested and others not so much. What I don't want to be is a barrier to her making and keeping friends. If people are not interested I don't bring it up again.

Some of the comments on the Reason site are spot-on.

Gozer the Gozarian 10 hours ago

This is excellent news! Now we can point to this one study and use it to nerf any anti-gun statistics because, as we’ve all known for some time, it’s all f***ing wrong.
When your data is feeble, your hypotheses are shit too.

Longtobefree 10 hours ago

I will happily lie to anyone trying to determine my home defense capabilities. I figure they are thieves trying to determine my ability to thwart their evil schemes.
You want to know if I have a gun? Stick your head through my bedroom window in the middle of the night.
Since the US constitution guarantees the right to keep and bear arms, the correct way to gauge firearm ownership is to go with 100%.

Spiritus Mundi 10 hours ago

“More concerningly, these individuals are not being reached with secure firearm storage messaging and firearm safety resources
Oh my word! Where are my pearls!

Nardz 9 hours ago

View: https://twitter.com/lone_rides/status/1676564816201228290?t=bOsMoi_ZiAy5iPujLU-x5Q&s=19

“Why do you need an AR-15??”
So when blue helmets start knocking down doors because someone used the wrong pronoun or posted correct but unapproved science facts, we can welcome them in an appropriate manner.

I don't think this researcher planned for such a response. Not many panty-wetters on her side there

Person who doesn’t know me - “Do you own guns?”

Me - “What are guns?“
This

I act stupid all the time. Never admit to anyone new. If they bring it up, I just nod my head. Plus it’s a personal matter to me and not really their business. You never know the intentions of these liberal lunatics around us.

”It should be emphasized that the report authors didn't conclusively identify anybody who denied gun ownership as a gun owner. Instead, the report dealt in probabilities, with the researchers building profiles of confirmed gun owners. They then applied the profiles across their sample of 3,500 respondents to estimate who was likely fibbing about not owning guns. The results depend on the probability threshold applied, but they came up with 1,206 confirmed owners, between 1,243 and 2,059 non-owners, and between 220 and 1,036 potential but secretive owners lying about their status.”

This means they looked at factors that correlate with admitted gun owners and figured between 6% and 30% were gun owners but said they were not gun owners. The huge range of 6-30% indicates their analysis was really poor, likely why it was published in a no-name journal. I’ve reviewed and rejected papers from Anestis submitted to top journals, but they just keep going down the list until someone is willing to publish just for the pages charges. Yes, the authors had to pay $3990 to publish their paper.

I wouldn't answer some rando asking me if I had gold and silver at my house either.

“There are several reasons some firearm owners might feel uncomfortable disclosing that they own firearms,” said Michael Anestis, executive director of the New Jersey Gun Violence Research Center and senior author of the study. “These results serve as an important reminder that we should not assume we know everything about who owns firearms and that we should ensure that our efforts to reach firearm owners can resonate with broad audiences we might not realize would benefit from the message.”

The funny thing, is that Anestis DID assume we know everything about firearms owners - that’s how they came up with estimates of firearms owners who deny owning firearms. The lead author, Alison Bond, was publishing her PhD project before moving on to cadge grant money from the Leftist foundations (Joyce, MacArthur, etc.) The state throws in a few bucks and the researchers are supposed to pull in Bloomberg/Soros money.

Back
Top Bottom