• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GUN BAN INCREASES CRIME IN CANADA?

Interesting article from ccrkba.
Canada's billion-dollar boondoggle – the national gun registration scheme – has proven itself an abysmal failure, as that country's violent crime rates are double those reported in the United States, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (CCRKBA) noted today.

"We looked at violent crime rates per 100,000 population in both countries, using the most recent available data," said CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb, "and we were not surprised at what we found. Since Canada started this ridiculous and costly program, violent crime has gone up dramatically, at the same time that crime in the United States has declined. Yet, there are people in the states who think Canada's gun legislation should be the model for America.

Sounds believable, but I wish he (A. Gottlieb) listed his sources for the raw data.

Ray,

Contact him via his website. Alan is a very approachable person and I'm sure that he'd be more than willing to share the data (or update his website if need be).

LenS; I did so after reading his news release on the CCRKBA site.

I have no doubt on the validity of his data. I do believe it is best for all of us for a pro-gun writer to offer citations or links to source data. This keeps us miles above the anti-gun groups which have demonstrated a willingness to distort & OUTRIGHT LIE in an effort to spread their diseased message.

This was exactly what happened in Britain, making it fully predictable in Canada. Serves them all right.

There's an article in this months American Rifleman that talks about this..

Gun controls in the British Isles took hold at the end of a 500-year decline in violent crime. After 50 years of those laws, Scotland is now the most violent country in the developed world.

Pretty amazing that the short sightedness of the gun control freaks REFUSE to see these FACTS!

"They are now screaming for Knife Control in the UK."

Soon to be followed by a ban on Pointy Sticks! [roll]

Scrivener said:
"They are now screaming for Knife Control in the UK."

Soon to be followed by a ban on Pointy Sticks! [roll]

And will be follwed by a ban on Wedgies.

I had a fairly interesting, although brief, discussion with a Canadian (who witnessed the shooting in Toronto the day after Christmas) and an ex-Army liberal on the other forum I frequent about gun violence in Canada. I won't post the link, as you have to register for the forum to see it, but I suppose if anyone's interested I could cut and paste the discussion...

Pretty amazing that the short sightedness of the gun control freaks REFUSE to see these FACTS!

Your model is all wrong, since it proceeds from the assumption that anti-gun types:

1. Want crime reduced;
2. Believe gun elimination will reduce crime; and
3. Therefore lean toward gun reduction.

Some anti- people fall into this category, and they are approachable. Convince them that the minor premise (Point 2) is wrong, and they change their conclusion.

However, for the bulk, the thought process is quite different:

1. Want guns eliminated;
2. Think crime reduction would make a good sounding reason for eliminating guns; and
3. Therefore advocate eliminating guns to reduce crime.

Convincing these people (or proving) that Point 2 is wrong only leads to the substitution of a new rationalization: reduction of accidents, reduction of domestic abuse, reduce hearing loss, improve the trade imbalance (since so many guns today are manufactured outside the United States), be nice to birds, whatever.

These people are non-approachable on a rational basis because their conclusion is not syllogistically derived.

The GFW's will always be GFW's.

The Power Hungry Politicians that are afraid of the public will always be afraid of the public.

You've got to remember that there are people in this country that advocate overthrowing the government and taking over. And more than a few of them are in the Senate and House of Representatives.

LenS said:
Ray,

Contact him via his website. Alan is a very approachable person and I'm sure that he'd be more than willing to share the data (or update his website if need be).

Mr. Gottlieb sent me the links this evening. The data came directly from FBI and Canadian governmental sites. With cruddy weather promised for Sunday, I can sit at the computer and play comparative statistics! Yea!

The data for the U.S. side is from the 2003 UCR Table 1 published by the FBI. It is available as an MS Excel spreadsheet at:

www.fbi.gov/filelink.html?file=/ucr/cius_03/xl/03tbl01.xls

The data for the Canadian side is from the Juristat: Canadian Crime Statistics, 2003, Volume 24, No 6 as published by the Canada Center for Justice Statistics. This report is available at:

www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/040728/d040728a.htm

Skald said:
They are now screaming for Knife Control in the UK.
Correction: They already have knife control; they're now screaming for stricter knife control.

Carrying or transporting any knives outside the home is already subject to severe criminal penalties, with no regard for intent. There was a case recently where a carpet installer was sentenced to a prison sentance on the order of 10 years for having three carpet knives in his car. The judge was willing to accept him having one for his business and was even so generous as to accepting a second as a spare, but decided that there was no legitimate reason for anyone to have three knives. The discussion they're having right now is about restricting kitchen knives in the home. The control freaks are saying that only licensed, professional chefs need anything more than round-point table knives and perhaps a single small, pointed paring knife.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom