GSSF in Savannah this past weekend; success.

allen-1

NES Member
Glock brought their GSSF match to Savannah this past weekend, it was at my local club, 17South. It went amazingly well. If you're involved in GSSF, there are posts at glocktalk.com in a couple of different threads.

* Edited to provide proper site: [GSSFONLINE.COM is the official GSSF page]

My club has never hosted a GSSF match before and I've never shot one before. Our match director has a fair amount of experience shooting the matches and he did an extraordinary job. Our owners went to a couple of matches to see what was involved, and they did an awesome job too, as well as all of their staff.

The staff from Glock was incredible, a real joy to work with. They're a traveling road show and they've got this down.

We setup on Thursday and some of the RO's shot then. I entered three guns in five divisions and managed to shoot two stages Thursday afternoon, shot the final stage Friday morning. As I said, I've never shot a GSSF match before; it's easy to shoot. All starts from a low-ready, no reloads on the clock, simple stages.

I felt pretty good about my plate rack times. That is until I watched Andrea clean them in under 2 seconds. Seriously. Consistently. That's humbling.

We had 918 entries, we think just over 400 shooters. We had stages set up in all five of our practical pits, including a practice stage for plates, plus stages on our fifty yard pistol range, our 100 yard rifle range and our 100 meter rifle range.

As far as I know, we had no serious issues at all. We have a few things we can do better next year. One thing is providing transportation for mobility limited shooters. It's a big range and and we can do better. Another is better signage, some things weren't as clear as they could be.

We're listening to the forums, soliciting feedback, we're doing it again next year.

Last edited:
Yep, I remember going to Glock Shooting Sport Foundation matches @ Harvard and up in NH back in the day. (for Uzi2)
Great fun!
Good on you and your club for hosting.

Another thing to clarify..........What is GSSF?

Think of it as a marketing program for Glock. They bring a match to your range. They bring plate racks, expert personnel, scoring sheets, prizes. You supply the facility, target frames, targets, RO's and shooters.

They also supply an insane amount of prizes. Lots of gun certificates among the prizes.

There are shooters who travel from city to city following these matches. I spoke to one couple who'd shot about 30 of them. They were working as RO's at this match. We had shooters from Florida, Alabama, North and South Carolina of course. Then one couple flew in from Vegas...

I'd never seen, heard or shot one of these before. Walked into the club house Thursday morning and said "Okay, tell me what to do". If your MD's organized, as ours was, it's pretty straight-forward. Lot of logistics involved in setting it up. Just shooting it is pretty easy. Working it as an RO is pretty easy. Basic safety and the scoring is easy.

These matches are lots of fun and can be quite competitive. Obviously a different format than IDPA but the timed 25 yard shots tell you about your long-range pistol skills. I shot the new Scarborough, ME match this year. Will definitely be back next year. Also Scarborough is a lot closer than the Fulton, NY match I was driving to!

Yep, I remember going to Glock Shooting Sport Foundation matches @ Harvard and up in NH back in the day. (for Uzi2)
Great fun!
Good on you and your club for hosting.
My father won a G20 at a match at Harvard. That was the last year they gave Firearms as prizes

My father won a G20 at a match at Harvard. That was the last year they gave Firearms as prizes

I won a certificate for a Glock of my choice at this match.
Through pure luck, not skill. Random drawing.

They gave away a bunch of certificates.

I now have a G31, 357Sig sitting in my safe along with my 9mm's.
Going to play with loads for it to see what kind of pin gun I can make out of it.

Back
Top Bottom