Gripcap installation

Beretta92FS

NES Member
Can anyone recommend me a skilled gunsmith that can install a gripcap on my Mauser M03? There is literally no room for error on this project, make a mistake and the wood is ruined. The problem is that some wood need to be carved out so that the grip cap can sink into the wood.

IMG_3135.JPG

IMG_3136.JPG

IMG_3137.jpg

Patrick McManus can do it. He does some mean hand-checkering as well. ;). (Those were fully columns/books.)

You can remove too much wood UNDER it because you can always fill it. The trick is getting a good deep line on the tracing from the get-go. Most of the field could be done with a Dremel or similar. Then the real work is getting the edges done. I'd probably get close and then use a blade. Dremel is too risky. Chisel won't get the curve right. Get close and undercut with a knife and you'll at least get it off the surface. You can screw it all up underneath as long as you keep the surface pristine.

I'd vote woodworker. The skills of a gunsmith, per se, are not those of a wood expert. Find a guy that is good at really specialty stuff. Inlay and the like.

Back
Top Bottom