• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

greetings from KB1MM

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Hi all,

relatively new here on the NES but been a ham for many years...about 28 to be exact...cripes, where does the time go?

I am an Advanced Class...kinda ran out of steam after I passed that test (this is when you still had to go to the Custom's Building in Boston to take the tests) so never got my Extra.

I used to have a station that took almost a full room but after working at HRO in Salem for 8 years back in the early 90's I got totally burned out on it and sold off all my stuff save an original IC706 I bought just before I left there and a Yaesu handheld I bought about 10 or so years ago.

I've been looking at getting back on the air again in a small way, not with the 2500 watt TenTec amp and 75 ft tower I used to have...just a simple dipole or maybe a G5RV.

I have a total house renovation looming in the not too distant future which means having to move out of my house for a few months...after this comes to pass, I will set up my small station and maybe see you guys on the air...

There's even a chance I may have run into some you guys while I was working at HRO.

So, your renovation plans include a custom shack....don't they? Golden opportunity.

BTW, welcome aboard! This forum was pretty quiet over the summer, but now that we are cooped up indoors dreading the snow shovel, there's a lot more chatter happening here. Newbs like me are glad to have real hams that know tubes and the code around to learn from.

Welcome, I'm also new to Ham and have been getting back into it. There's a few guys on here that have been VERY helpful on helping me understand things that I'm a little fuzzy on. I guess you're going to be getting some questions thrown at you. LOL!

anyone on right now? I'm listening to some guys working the big guns from South Africa

I'm not sure I'll ever have a big shack again...It's been so long since I've fired up the 706 I'm not even sure it works. When the house is finished, I'm hoping to have a "man cave" that will include a desk with a small station on it and a larger reloading area than I have now along with a shop where I can tinker with my electronic projects.

I have a small part time business repairing guitar amps and that helps pay for my toys. Right now one small bedroom houses my repair shop with my reloading stuff stuck in a corner but it's really too small for both. I will be moving my repair shop to a local music store as soon as the de-construction begins so I can continue keeping my customers happy. The reloading stuff will all go into storage for the time being.

Of course, I need to sell all this to my wife who, for her part, is quite longsuffering when it comes to all my hobbies. She just sighs and says that at least she knows where I am (most of the time).

I have a complete shack in my truck for mobile operation, from HF all the way up to 902, with the exception of 220. I don't have to worry about the shack being shut down at times.

>>this is when you still had to go to the Custom's Building in Boston to take the tests<<

Ah yes, remember it well. Took General & Advanced there myself. :)

===RUT=== (K1HS)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom