• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Equipment from a smoker’s shack

Shark_Cage

NES Member
I know a friend who is selling his dad’s HF amplifier. How much would you take off (%) if it was from a heavy smoker’s house? I want to pay a fair price but I will have to clean the shit out of it. Thoughts?

The inside is where the stink is. I have worked on smokers equipment in the past and it is gross. You will never get that smell out and tar from cigarettes is slightly conductive so in a tube linear it can cause leakage problems.

It’s an older Acom 1000.
ACOM-1000-696x355.jpg

We worked out a fair deal. Thank you everyone for the input.

Jim

Last edited:
That is a very nice amp. the only problem is it uses a 4CX800A tube and replacement tubes are scarce and expensive around $500.00ea. The good thing is it only uses one tube, and if not abused will last a long time.

I've had to clean desktop computers owned by heavy smokers before I could work on them without puking and it isn't quick or fun. I imagine this could be worse since it was probably owned and used longer than the average desktop computer. My technique took a lot of time, including vacuuming out all dust, delicately applying various liquid cleaners, drying with compressed air and ultimately utilizing a fan outdoors in fresh air for literally hours. Rinse and repeat if/when necessary. Most actually came out pretty good, although never quite perfect.

I've had to clean desktop computers owned by heavy smokers before I could work on them without puking and it isn't quick or fun. I imagine this could be worse since it was probably owned and used longer than the average desktop computer. My technique took a lot of time, including vacuuming out all dust, delicately applying various liquid cleaners, drying with compressed air and ultimately utilizing a fan outdoors in fresh air for literally hours. Rinse and repeat if/when necessary. Most actually came out pretty good, although never quite perfect.

Also, as someone who smokes cigars..... cigarettes are 100x worse than cigars. Doesn't help that most cig smokers end up smoking a lot in front of the radio either, and it sucks in all the smoke, etc.

My first "big kid" radio was a Kenwood TS440SAT, that was polluted by a smoker... it actually didnt fare too bad, at least for a 440. Problem with those radios is the PLL eventually goes to shit over time in them, it was a shame too, because those were otherwise built like brick shithouses.

-Mike

Also, as someone who smokes cigars..... cigarettes are 100x worse than cigars. Doesn't help that most cig smokers end up smoking a lot in front of the radio either, and it sucks in all the smoke, etc.

My first "big kid" radio was a Kenwood TS440SAT, that was polluted by a smoker... it actually didnt fare too bad, at least for a 440. Problem with those radios is the PLL eventually goes to shit over time in them, it was a shame too, because those were otherwise built like brick shithouses.

-Mike

Agree, the 440 was a great radio, ran one mobile for ten years.....shame on the engineers who designed the PLL/display circuits and then gooped them with that crap to stabilize them too. Kenwood should have been forced to recall and repair every single one of those rigs incluging shipping both ways.
Mine still works but takes an hour for the display to come up. I dont think its even repairable anymore.

Next rig if there is "a next" will be an Icom 7300.

Jim how did this amp work out? Was always interested in this brand.

-Mike
Got it home last week. It’s “airing out” in the garage right now. Gave it a good cleaning and blow out. Solidly built unit. When it makes it into the shack I’ll let you know.

Back
Top Bottom