Great Story on a black bear Hunt, with a gun you won't believe.(bear pic)

yanici

NES Member
I was at the Gun Club yesterday and while waiting for the N. Andover Police to finish up their training I got to talk with another club member. He was telling about his friend who he goes bear hunting with annualy up to Canada. Well, last year, I think it was, his friend brought his Quackenbush .458 cal. air rifle that develops 500 foot pounds of energy. This club member that I was yaking with actually saw his friend take the black bear with one shot of the air rifle. Here are the pic and the story below.

The pic and story can also be seen at the Quackenbush Rifle web page http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/ along with other interesting info.

It all started at the Canadian border with one of Dennis' LA .457's. Went in to register it. The inspector came out to get the serial number off of the gun. The number 813 is stamped on the riser as we all know. Well the officer said it was not valid as it has to go on the main part of the rifle (for a firearm). I told him it was an air rifle and was not considered a firearm in my state. He looked at me like I had 3 eyes. He says Air Rifle!. Yup would you like me to discharge some air? He said yes!. After making sure it was unloaded I let one rip under the canopy. BOOM! , in a flash all the agents that were inside came running out shouting is everything ok? The officer with me hollers back , it's ok , it is just an air rifle. He was sure surprised. After a laugh, off I went. In Canada anything over 450 fps has to be registered as a firearm. (By the way he could not believe the bore size).

Got to camp in another hour and got settled in. Later that afternoon I went to my blind at 4:00. It consisted of a pile of boulders. I snuggled in for the long wait. Legal shooting time ended at 9:43. Well at 8:45 I spotted him coming towards the bait from my left side. I got down low and kept trying to keep an eye on him. He disappeared. Twenty minutes go by and I am wondering where he went. I looked to my right and there he was again. He had circled around me from behind. He was very cautious as he made his way by me. My heart was pounding. He headed towards the bait again and stopped. Seemed like he was not going to come any closer. He started moving again. Again he stopped and looked all around. Finally he committed himself and moved towards the bait again. He was about 25 yards from the bait and around 35 yards from me, as he came into full view I raised the trusty .457 and let him have it. KA BOOM , he spun around and bolted off. It was only a few seconds and I could hear him thrashing behind the bait around 50 yards or so. I loaded another slug and went looking for him. It was not long before I found him piled up. The 422 gr. Robert Vogel hollow point went clean through both shoulders. When my guide came to pick me up he could not believe I was successful with a BB gun as he called it. Needless to say we had lots to talk about that evening. Was a hunt of a lifetime. I have taken many bear with bow, & rifles. This was a fun hunt.

Thank you Dennis for making such a fine hunting rifle, and Robert for such a fine slug! (Gun has not been modified at all except for the two cocking knobs)
Dave P.

20z1qog.jpg

If you're into guns I think most of you would find the Quackenbush web site, listed in the opening post, very interesting. The owner and builder, Quackenbush, hand builds each gun. He only has modest prices for what you get. Very difficult to get an order in though. He only opens his site periodically to take orders and will only take so many at a time. You have to be quick and vigilante to watching his site in order to get a gun.

After reading the topic, I was fully prepared to open the thread and witness a story of someone downing a bear with a 9mm.

I was disappointed, but killing a bear with an air rifle is right up there!

Lewis and Clark had an air gun with them in 1803. Don't know if he killed a bear, but he did bring down game with it.

Lewis and Clark had an air gun with them in 1803. Don't know if he killed a bear, but he did bring down game with it.

FRom what I've seen about the Lewis & Clark air rifle, I understand that was a 20 shot repeating gun. Also, it took about 1500 strokes of the pump, similar to a bicycle pump, to fully charge the bladder. The rifle so impressed the Indians with it's 20 shot capacity that they were in fear of the gun and was a big reason why the expedition wasn't attacked.

I believe there is a pump similar to a bike pump, but much higher pressure, that you can use to recharge some air rifles like that. I have seen them used on smaller guns, but I have no idea about a big bore.

I dunno. Probably true, but not having experienced bear shooting myself, my three sons have taken brown, Kodiak and black bears in Alaska over the years. They use .338 win mag and .375 H&H. Multiple hits have been the norm. These are heavy calibers, but the big bears are hard to put down. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom