• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Grain mill (Manual and electric in one?)

doobie

Banned
Does anyone have a recommendation for a grain mill? I'd like one that can be powered or manual. I have one, but the base doesn't easily fit onto my counter top (my counters are pretty thick) and when I did get it on I had to take the plastic protector off and it left a mark in my counter.

EDIT: I'd like something no more than around $200-400.
TIA!

Last edited:
I already had a juicer so I bought an attachment for $80 or so that allows me to do the wheat. I know others have done the same thing for certain mixers and food processors.

I also have two cheap hand crank grain mills. They require a lot of work and I've only tested them a few times. I paid $50 for one and $20 for another I found in a second-hand shop.

I always thought the ones that could be used for both manual and electric were too expensive.

If you go to the Walton Feeds website, they have a section comparing grain mills, hand and electric, and the different types...and how they are suited to different types of grains, some can do oily beans, some can't, etc..

My long term goal is to get a Country Living one........$$$$$$

OK, found it...here is link to web page at Walton Food, for Grain mill info...

http://waltonfeed.com/blog/showCategory/category_id/34

Last edited:
I recently bought the Family Grain Mill from these people: http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/family_grain_mills.aspx The grain mill with hand crank base was $119 shipping included. It grinds nice fine flour without too much effort... probably 10 mins for 4 cups of flour. I wanted a hand crank for grid down use. They offer a KitchenAid attachment, which I'll probably get, as well as a motorized base.

The Belchertown Co-op mentioned elsewhere here is a great source of wheat. The last bunch I got was $18 per 50lb bag plus $8 per bag shipping. They also offer food grade pails w/lid for $5.

I recently bought the Family Grain Mill from these people: http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/family_grain_mills.aspx The grain mill with hand crank base was $119 shipping included. It grinds nice fine flour without too much effort... probably 10 mins for 4 cups of flour. I wanted a hand crank for grid down use. They offer a KitchenAid attachment, which I'll probably get, as well as a motorized base.

The Belchertown Co-op mentioned elsewhere here is a great source of wheat. The last bunch I got was $18 per 50lb bag plus $8 per bag shipping. They also offer food grade pails w/lid for $5.

+1 on the family grain mill. I have the motorized base as well as the crank for emergencies. Motor is made by Bosch and the whole thing is made out of solid ABS plastic with Stainless steel blades. Given the choice I'd buy it again. It also has several other grinding attachment options for vegetables, meat etc. . I too bought mine from Pleasant hill Grain . Great company to do busines with. Get yourself a Zojirushi Bread machine some Montana Wheat Prairie Gold, one of these mills and you're good to go!

Back
Top Bottom