$%&!!@*! Graf's

gws1063

NES Member
Sorry, I just needed to vent. I just got off the phone with Graf's. They called to tell me thay will not ship to MA unless I have a reseller's tax ID. When did that start?

No brass, NO DIES, no anything! They won't even ship to an out-of state address if I have a MA billing address.

OK - primers, powder, bullets & brass (maybe), BUT DIES, too?

ARRRGH!

-Gary

Keep a record of all purchases you make from Midway, and send it to them as an Excel spreadsheet. Let them see what they're losing.

Get REAL!

Midway was one of the FIRST to bail out of Mass. - a fact which has been noted on this forum on more than one occasion.

I am surprised by Graf. I used to get a LOT from them, including, IIRC, the .50 BMG rounds I got for paperweights.

Get REAL!

Midway was one of the FIRST to bail out of Mass. - a fact which has been noted on this forum on more than one occasion.

I am surprised by Graf. I used to get a LOT from them, including, IIRC, the .50 BMG rounds I got for paperweights.

Graf was targeted by the AGs Office and settled by changing their practices to resellers only. They stated it was an easier business decision to cave than it was to fight

Get REAL!

What part of no brass, no dies didn't you understand in the op's post? Please try to read a little more carefully before you make an ass out off yourself even more! If you'd like, I'll email you the invoice from the order that I placed with Midway yesterday, that included .45ACP dies, and is currently in transit. [slap]

That's too bad for you guys. I get most of my reloading stuff from Graf's. Best deal was a case of 5000 WCC .223 brass, primed, for under $400. Wish I had bought two cases.

What part of no brass, no dies didn't you understand in the op's post? Please try to read a little more carefully before you make an ass out off yourself even more! If you'd like, I'll email you the invoice from the order that I placed with Midway yesterday, that included .45ACP dies, and is currently in transit.

I read it quite completely, thank you. What part of "no anything" did YOU miss?

If you - or anyone else - received dies from Midway any time in the past half-decade, you did VERY well. I used to get virtually all my supplies from there, until it over-reacted and refused to ship pretty much anything that could go in or on a gun to Massachusetts.

Many others have made the same complaint about Midway, including specifically its refusal to ship dies, as well as other, even more innocuous, items (like screwdriver sets with a gun maker's name thereon!).

The bottom line is that if Graf's won't ship it to this state, it's a near-certain bet that Midway won't. My remarks stand accordingly.

Actually, this is the third set of dies from Midway within a year. As I got those, and gws1063 can't get "no anything", I guess it's pretty clear where each company stands on the "totem pole". My remarks also stand.

I've rec'd dies (from Midway) as well as a ton of other reloading supplies- except for brass, bullet, powder or primers.

I've been of two minds about all of this.

On the one hand, I have some sympathy for the mail orders. That business works (if at all) only if it can sustain volume and keep overhead low. It seems a bit much to expect an out-of-state mail order house to commit business suicide to subsidize our battles.

Then again sometimes I'm inclined to say, "Well, folks, that shows how much (or how little) you care about my business." In fact, I received a "birthday" greeting from Midway (from whom I used to buy a TON of stuff) and returned it with a temperate letter expressing more or less this sentiment, and suggesting that they delete me from their mailing list. (That was a couple of years ago; still waiting for a reply.)

But ultimately I just shrug and make another road trip up to Riley's. One, it's a nice ride (assuming you pick a sunny day). Two, Riley's prices are comparable to Midway's, and there is no shipping (except the cost of gas (DIY shipping?)). So far, there isn't anything I've wanted that Riley's didn't either have in stock or order for me (and then take the time to make a phone call to say that it was in).

Well said RKG- Riley's is a great place and like you said- assuming a nice day- a nice ride. Sometime however I get the implulse to buy things and Midway is a great place with lots of items in stock.

Personally though- I can't blame anyone for not wanting to put up a legal battle with this fine state's AGs. I'm quite sure they can figure out what the loss of business is relative to the potential legal costs... we are talking about reloading supplies and ammo only. I can't imagine it's too much to any mail order business. Sucks yes. Makes some sense yes. Fair to us... no, but it's our AG's fault.

As others have said, I can understand why some (most?) mail order vendors have decided to cave in to Sturmbannfuhrer Reilly's intimidation - it's their business and their business decision. That said, there remain a few vendors who haven't caved and it's my business decision to support them, even for items that Midway and others of that ilk would send to PRM, and even if it costs me a bit more. I also like to take the drive to Riley's, or even KTP, which may not be the gun hobbyist's paradise that it was 20 years ago but still maintains enough inventory to make for a pleasant afternoon of bargain hunting.

I bought some RCBS cowboy dies not long ago for 45 Schofield and I just got mounts and rings for my AR 2 weeks ago all from Midway. There's another place that will send all but bullets brass etc PM me if you wish for info

As others have said, I can understand why some (most?) mail order vendors have decided to cave in to Sturmbannfuhrer Reilly's intimidation - it's their business and their business decision. That said, there remain a few vendors who haven't caved and it's my business decision to support them, even for items that Midway and others of that ilk would send to PRM, and even if it costs me a bit more. I also like to take the drive to Riley's, or even KTP, which may not be the gun hobbyist's paradise that it was 20 years ago but still maintains enough inventory to make for a pleasant afternoon of bargain hunting.

Dick- have the "others" just not been challenged by the almighty AG or are they ignoring them and haven't been "tested"? See what I'm saying? I suspect they are very similar in reality.

Dick- have the "others" just not been challenged by the almighty AG or are they ignoring them and haven't been "tested"? See what I'm saying? I suspect they are very similar in reality.

Yeah, I do understand the point you're making. The answer, of course, is that I don't know about the "others", but one of them that I regularly buy components and even loaded ammo from is large enough (i.e., their paper catalog is well over 200 pages) that I can't believe they're flying under the radar.

I still do business with Midway, but to a much lower extent. I bought a set of 300 win mag Lee dies, and bullet lube last mo. and Kroil, along w/ a few other things this mo. My only major bitch is their s&h charges. Around $9.75 per shipment. Except for unusual things, Riley's is the place to go.
I also hear good things about Four Seasons.

I still do business with Midway, but to a much lower extent. I bought a set of 300 win mag Lee dies, and bullet lube last mo. and Kroil, along w/ a few other things this mo. My only major bitch is their s&h charges. Around $9.75 per shipment. Except for unusual things, Riley's is the place to go.

I was less than thrilled with Midway's addition of shipping charges, as my orders ALWAYS exceeded their minimum for free shipping. Then Midway started refusing to ship pretty much anything I wanted to MA, a policy which other posts indicate has ameliorated somewhat.

The bottom line for me is that anything Midway has which I want I get locally or, in the case of ammo and components, from online suppliers that still have a pair.

In short, despite Midway's "birthday presents" and other importunings, it has been replaced.

...a policy which other posts indicate has ameliorated somewhat.
Ok Scriv, time to put the brakes on. No fair using words us mere mortals have to look up in order to understand. This is a shooters forum dammit. There's no room for words like "ameliorated" around here.

:)
-Cuz.

And the way in which it's delivered as well. (yes, you may take that as a nudge towards a reminder to tread softly)

Hi Lynne,
I'm confused, who are you asking to tread softly, Scrivener? Or the person that attacked him?
-Cuz.

Back
Top Bottom