got some PD brass have a few questions

ok. my buddy got me a bunch of brass from the police station he works at. the head stamps are
WIN NT 45 AUTO +P
WINCHESTER 45 Auto (nickel casings)
R P 45 Auto ( guessing Remington UMC)
CBC 45 Auto
all of these are obviously 45 ACP. the first head stamp is from Winchester ranger frangible ammo. the primer in it is much smaller than the large pistol primers in the Winchester white boxes that i have been reloading. im pretty sure they are small pistol primers. has anyone had any experience reloading this ammo?

I haven't run across any Win NT brass but my understanding is that they are small pistol primers. They should be reloadable but I'm not sure here to look for the load info.

Win-clean ammo (NT=Non-toxic?) use a SMALL pistol primer rather than the standard LARGE pistol primer that every other .45 ACP uses. This makes it an absolute pain when reloading. I use a Dillon SDB progressive press and I know when the press handle stops dead before reaching the top of the stroke (on .45 ACP) that there is something wrong with the primer seating. I immediately stop and remove the case from stage 2. It will invariably be Win NT which promptly gets tossed in the trash.
If I had that lot of brass, I'd sort those out before doing anything else.

My GF's son reloads 45 ACP on a single station manual press. He changes out the primer pusher-into thingie when he gets to those smaller ones, and switches over to small primers. It's not bad when running them on a single station press.

But, I would guess if you are running on a turret or progressive press, they'd not be worth the trouble.

I would say that depending on how hard up you are for brass, you'd either fight through them, or toss them into the scrap pile.

ok. my buddy got me a bunch of brass from the police station he works at. the head stamps are
WIN NT 45 AUTO +P
WINCHESTER 45 Auto (nickel casings)
R P 45 Auto ( guessing Remington UMC)
CBC 45 Auto
all of these are obviously 45 ACP. the first head stamp is from Winchester ranger frangible ammo. the primer in it is much smaller than the large pistol primers in the Winchester white boxes that i have been reloading. im pretty sure they are small pistol primers. has anyone had any experience reloading this ammo?

I have 200 Federal 45's with the small primers. I save them. If I run out of large primers I will still have these to load, if I have small primers.

I'd keep them aside and maybe use them for a special load...maybe something super hot or an oddball bullet. If you get enough of them they'll eventually take over for all that old brass you've been reloading time after time after time.

Winchester, Federal and now CCI is now starting to show up using small pistol primers in some of their 45acp loads.

It seems to be spreading. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Win NT brass right now is a waste of a small pistol primer. Weed it out and maybe make a run with it when the market rebounds a little.

-Mike

There's nothing wrong with the brass besides the fact that they use small primers.

If you use them just keep them away from your large primer brass.

Back
Top Bottom