Got busted this morning

Got in at dark, at about 7:00 this huge 8 pointer is creeping around the opening I need him to walk into. He dosent, starts coming in at a total different angle than expected. He gets about 15 yards and I draw and hold... Don't like the shot so I let down. He goes around a big rock and I loose him, then he pops out the other side. All this time, he doesn't see me. Now he's behind me, too thick to even think of a shot so I turn around. I can hear him still moving slowly. I turn to take a peek, and he's right under my stand!! We lock eyes, he wheezes and up with the tail and gone in a flash!!!

Now I'm not sure I want to sit in that stand again tomorrow, do you think it's a good idea or am I busted out at that spot.

That SUCKS! I hate that feeling.

He won't be back there again. At least not for some time.
They don't get big by being stupid and making the same mistake twice.

Whitetails crouch at the sound of a bow because they are loading their mussels to flee. The sound of the bow travels approximately 1100fps, the average bow shoots an arrow about 250-300fps. Deer are a very nervous animal by nature, most prey animals are. There are two sense the deer rarely ever ignores, it's nose and it's ears. No matter how fast your bow is there is always a chance that it could "jump" the string. When you bleat or whistle to stop a deer you put it on alert increasing the chances of this happening. Your best shot will be the one where it stops and stands still naturally, but if you hunt long enough it will happen.
Give your stand a few day's before you hunt it again. You may never see that buck again, but if it is his core spot and you leave him alone he will be back. He WILL check out your stand completely before he walks past it now though. So you better be on your best behavior up there from now on.
Good luck hope you get him.

Thats why I close my eyes when they look at me. Ive had several look straight up at me, I always close my eyes and dont move. Never had one spook yet.

Dude, you could have made history. Jump out da tree, land on the deer, ride him a bit and bring him down with yo bare hands!

You coulda been a contender, dude!!!

First one didn't duck in those vids, it was just a shot too high. The other two... they way they loaded to spring, definitely a crouch. Especially the third one who arched his spine. Amazing stuff. Never bow hunted, so never thought that through, but you'd have a hard time anticipating that.

Neat vids.

Cool vids. Knowing that I can't hit the side of a barn with an arrow, I'll stick to my shotgun.

i don't hunt and have had my fair share of close encounters with those buggers. i always think to myself "damn, i wish i had my AR right now" [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom