GOP succeeds in blocking Sullivan from Permenant ATF job

Oct 13, 1:46 PM EDT

By DENISE LAVOIE
Associated Press Writer

BOSTON (AP) -- For more than two years, U.S. Attorney Michael Sullivan has been consumed by the latest entry on his resume: acting chief of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The Republican has been balancing both jobs while dealing with opposition to his ATF confirmation from members of his own party in the Senate. Now, with the presidential election a month away and Congress adjourned, Sullivan, 54, could soon end up unemployed.

"I am going to remain focused on these two positions until the time I decide or somebody else decides it's time for me to move on to something else," he told The Associated Press. "At that point in time, I will be looking for some level of employment."

With Congress in recess, there's virtually no chance Sullivan will be confirmed before the election. For now, he's overseeing an ATF staff of 5,100 with no pay except for a $3,150 per month housing stipend for his apartment in Washington. He draws his $149,000 annual salary for serving as U.S. attorney, a job he does mainly by phone, e-mail and weekly visits to the state.

None of the senators holding up Sullivan's confirmation returned calls seeking comment. They include Republican Sens. Larry Craig and Mike Crapo, both of Idaho, and David Vitter of Louisiana. The opposition is not to Sullivan personally, but focused on the belief that the ATF is overly aggressive in enforcing gun laws.

As U.S. attorney, Sullivan has taken a hard-line stance in drug and gun cases. One judge publicly criticized him for clogging the federal system with cases that could be handled by state prosecutors. At various times, he's been talked about in state Republican circles as a possible candidate for governor, state attorney general and the U.S. Senate.

The former state legislator became U.S. attorney in 2001, a week after two planes hijacked from Boston were used in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Three months later, Sullivan led the prosecution of would-be airplane shoe bomber Richard Reid when Reid's international flight was diverted to Boston.

In August 2006, Sullivan was appointed acting director of the ATF. He was nominated by President Bush for the permanent job in March 2007.

"When you come into these positions, first off, you're tremendously honored to be asked to serve, but you understand and appreciate that you serve at the pleasure of the administration," he said, declining further speculation on his future.

Sullivan estimates that he spends 80 percent of his time on ATF business and the rest managing the U.S. attorney's office in Boston.

As ATF director, Sullivan has focused on working with local and state authorities to fight violent crime, trying to stop the flow of illegal guns from the United States to Mexico and preventing explosives attacks within the United States.

Senate Democrats criticize Republicans for holding up his confirmation. Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., blamed Republican "ideologues" for stalling it.

"I think he's done a good job at ATF. I'm all for moving his nomination forward," he said. "We are going to have new appointments coming up very shortly, so I think it speaks to the inability of this administration to get its nominees through its own party."

Sullivan insists he has not felt hampered doing both jobs for so long.

"I can't say I've felt frustrated professionally or personally, but I feel a little frustrated for the bureau itself," he said. "I think it would be healthy for the organization to have a confirmed director."

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Po

From Wikipedia (not usually the best source but these are cited)

Sullivan's nomination is currently blocked by a Senate hold placed by Senators David Vitter (R-La.), Michael Crapo (R-Idaho) and Larry E. Craig (R-Idaho). They have expressed their concern that the ATF is hostile to small gun dealers, pursuing them overzealously for small paperwork infractions and driving law-abiding small retailers out of business. They feel that Sullivan has been indifferent to their concerns and "exhibits a lack of willingness to address these problems."[3]

Sullivan has been criticized frequently by one such affected gun dealer, Ryan Horsley of Red’s Trading Post, Twin Falls, Idaho, Idaho's oldest gun dealership.[3], who writes on the blog Red's Trading Post. Horsley says that the ATF has a long track record of abusive behavior and Sullivan, as Acting Director, has continued to defend the ATF's abusive actions without any indication of making changes.[4]

Sullivan was a keynote speaker and special guest at the 2007 Great Lakes Summit on Gun Violence conference.[5] This conference was organized by the International Association of Chiefs of Police and funded by a $375,000 grant from the Joyce Foundation.[6] The report of the conference was titled "Taking a Stand: Reducing Gun Violence in Our Communities" and called for the passage of several gun bans and gun control measures[5]. The National Rifle Association has criticized the IACP report, calling it "a rubber stamp, bought and paid for, of the pre-existing agenda for gun ban groups." The report was produced with assistance from the Joyce Foundation's Communications Director and with contributions from gun control advocates such as Kristen Rand and Tom Diaz of the Violence Policy Center. The NRA has called the Joyce Foundation an activist foundation whose "shadowy web of huge donations" leads "straight to puppet strings that control the agenda of gun ban groups".[7]

Sullivan's confirmation is opposed by gun rights groups such as the Gun Owners of America[8], Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms[9] and Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership.[10]. The NRA has not categorically stated its opposition to the confirmation of Mr. Sullivan but has expressed its concern over the ATF's "overly restrictive legal interpretations" and "overly zealous enforcement activities".[11]

In defense of Mike he is a very sincere,straight guy who likes to do things strictly by the book. I just recently sat next to him at a fuction and he is a good guy.
He would probably make an excellant govenor.

Not everyone is aware of what is going on here.

Basically, oiur US Attorneys office has been running headless since Sullivan was appointed tot he ATF. There are reports of disarray there, and no-doubt there are federal crimes that are not properly being worked on.

Sullivan could have resigned as U.S. Attorney on the first day, and that would have allowed for another to be appointed in his place to do the job.

Sullivan's problem, is that he can't get paid for the ATF job until he is confirmed by the Senate (he had been confirmed for U.S. Attorney).

Of course, he could have resigned the ATF job, and someone else could have been apppointed there.

By not choosing just one or the other of the jobs, he is screwing the US taxpayer by doing both badly -- regardless of the fact that he is incompetant for either one, anyway.

In defense of Mike he is a very sincere,straight guy who likes to do things strictly by the book. I just recently sat next to him at a fuction and he is a good guy.

Sorry, but anyone who prattles on about "gun violence" while cavorting with antis is pretty much an assmuppet.

Not that this matters much anyways, if Obama is elected, I'm sure Obama will nominate someone worse for the position, or at least, equally as bad.

-Mike

Yes and when I was 17 I sailed for the day as crew for Senator Ted (Fat Boy) Kennedy in a race at Marblehead. He is a very nice guy. One of the nicest guys you'd ever talk to. They say Adolph Hitler was very personable also. Even serial killers tend to be very nice guys. The point is just because someone is personally a nice guy doesn't mean you want them making the decision whose door to kick in at 3 in the morning.

"Sullivan estimates that he spends 80 percent of his time on ATF business and the rest managing the U.S. attorney's office in Boston."

And therein lies the problem.

He's spending too much time running an organizarion that is desparately trying to strip Americans of their rights, instead of spending time fighting the white collar criminals that effect the lives of hundreds of thousands of people with a pen, internet scams ect.

His priorities are completely assbackwards and I'm glad he won't be getting the job.

http://www.subguns.com/temp/guncontrol.wmv

I would just like to point out that I go running in the morning or the afternoon, etc.

I have seen Mr. Sullivan out running. I have seen him at the gas station, Blockbuster, town meeting, etc FOR YEARS. He went to my alma matter for law school.

He comes to town meeting. How many of you do?

So many have developed a negative image and made such unsupported derrogatory comments about him. I have not seen the basis for any of these comments.

Oct 13, 1:46 PM EDT

By DENISE LAVOIE
Associated Press Writer

BOSTON (AP) -- For more than two years, U.S. Attorney Michael Sullivan has been consumed by the latest entry on his resume: acting chief of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The Republican has been balancing both jobs while dealing with opposition to his ATF confirmation from members of his own party in the Senate. Now, with the presidential election a month away and Congress adjourned, Sullivan, 54, could soon end up unemployed.

"I am going to remain focused on these two positions until the time I decide or somebody else decides it's time for me to move on to something else," he told The Associated Press. "At that point in time, I will be looking for some level of employment."

With Congress in recess, there's virtually no chance Sullivan will be confirmed before the election. For now, he's overseeing an ATF staff of 5,100 with no pay except for a $3,150 per month housing stipend for his apartment in Washington. He draws his $149,000 annual salary for serving as U.S. attorney, a job he does mainly by phone, e-mail and weekly visits to the state.

None of the senators holding up Sullivan's confirmation returned calls seeking comment. They include Republican Sens. Larry Craig and Mike Crapo, both of Idaho, and David Vitter of Louisiana. The opposition is not to Sullivan personally, but focused on the belief that the ATF is overly aggressive in enforcing gun laws.

As U.S. attorney, Sullivan has taken a hard-line stance in drug and gun cases. One judge publicly criticized him for clogging the federal system with cases that could be handled by state prosecutors. At various times, he's been talked about in state Republican circles as a possible candidate for governor, state attorney general and the U.S. Senate.

The former state legislator became U.S. attorney in 2001, a week after two planes hijacked from Boston were used in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Three months later, Sullivan led the prosecution of would-be airplane shoe bomber Richard Reid when Reid's international flight was diverted to Boston.

In August 2006, Sullivan was appointed acting director of the ATF. He was nominated by President Bush for the permanent job in March 2007.

"When you come into these positions, first off, you're tremendously honored to be asked to serve, but you understand and appreciate that you serve at the pleasure of the administration," he said, declining further speculation on his future.

Sullivan estimates that he spends 80 percent of his time on ATF business and the rest managing the U.S. attorney's office in Boston.

As ATF director, Sullivan has focused on working with local and state authorities to fight violent crime, trying to stop the flow of illegal guns from the United States to Mexico and preventing explosives attacks within the United States.

Senate Democrats criticize Republicans for holding up his confirmation. Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., blamed Republican "ideologues" for stalling it.

"I think he's done a good job at ATF. I'm all for moving his nomination forward," he said. "We are going to have new appointments coming up very shortly, so I think it speaks to the inability of this administration to get its nominees through its own party."

Sullivan insists he has not felt hampered doing both jobs for so long.

"I can't say I've felt frustrated professionally or personally, but I feel a little frustrated for the bureau itself," he said. "I think it would be healthy for the organization to have a confirmed director."

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Po

I wish i could be the head of ATF.

I could seriously save us all a few tax dollars in payroll. .. and office supplies , and the phone & electric bill .. and the rent.

Given enough rope , I'd turn the overhead for the ATF down to zero , and then sell the office furniture.

I would just like to point out that I go running in the morning or the afternoon, etc.

I have seen Mr. Sullivan out running. I have seen him at the gas station, Blockbuster, town meeting, etc FOR YEARS. He went to my alma matter for law school.

So many have developed a negative image and made such unsupported derrogatory comments about him. I have not seen the basis for any of these comments.

As a gun owner you ought to be appalled at his behavior. Evidently personal interaction and
visual contact is enough to bring you over to the dark side as well. As for unsupported, how
about you refute the article (which by the way, documents the basis for such derrogatory
comments) rather than tell us all about his physical merits and his ability to gladhand
his way around the community. You are the one that needs to put substance in your
glorification of all things Sullivan.

If you were an FFL and your customers put Y/N instead of Yes/No on the 4473's and he tried to shut you down over it, what would you say?

BS. Just doing things by the book is the mark of a drone, not a leader. The simple reality is that no state or agency ever has the resources to do everything on the book by the book. Leadership requires establishing and implementing priorities, ensuring that subordinates adhere to those established priorities, and evaluating the effect of those priorities. The problem with ATF isn't, and never has been "overly zealous enforcement of gun laws" as the media would have one believe. It's a distorted priority that focuses on suspending and revoking licenses licenses for minor paperwork errors, usually for far less significant errors than ATF has been forced to admit it has in its own records. There's also a total lack of anything vaguely resembling due process in technical rulings, where the same people who issue formal rulings one day turn around and change their minds the next, after those attempting to follow the law have relied on those ruling, then demanding forfeiture of products or funds generated through that good-faith reliance. Sullivan hasn't indicated the slightest interest in establishing reasonable priorities or remedying any of these obvious problems. He seems the kind of guy who might be selected as the next head of Fanny Mae or Freddy Mac, walk in, take a quick look around and decide everything was just fine and proclaim business as usual.

BTW, without making any implications regarding Sullivan, I've read numerous first hand articles mentioning that people like Himmler and Goering were really nice guys on a personal level, nice to dogs and concerned about their families, children and neighbors. Hardly means I'd want their successors running things here.

Ken

Last edited:

He may be, and I'm sure is a wonderful man. I'm appaled by his politics though and because of that don't support his appointment. I haven't seen any attacks here on his person, merely his politics or his pofessional decisions.

BS. Just doing things by the book is the mark of a drone, not a leader. The simple reality is that no state or agency ever has the resources to do everything on the book by the book. Leadership requires establishing and implementing priorities, ensuring that subordinates adhere to those established priorities, and evaluating the effect of those priorities. The problem with ATF isn't, and never has been "overly zealous enforcement of gun laws" as the media would have one believe. It's a distorted priority that focuses on suspending and revoking licenses licenses for minor paperwork errors, usually for far less significant errors than ATF has been forced to admit it has in its own records. There's also a total lack of anything vaguely resembling due process in technical rulings, where the same people who issue formal rulings one day turn around and change their minds the next, after those attempting to follow the law have relied on those ruling, then demanding forfeiture of products or funds generated through that good-faith reliance. Sullivan hasn't indicated the slightest interest in establishing reasonable priorities or remedying any of these obvious problems. He seems the kind of guy who might be selected as the next head of Fanny Mae or Freddy Mac, walk in, take a quick look around and decide everything was just fine and proclaim business as usual.

BTW, without making any implications regarding Sullivan, I've read numerous first hand articles mentioning that people like Himmler and Goering were really nice guys on a personal level, nice to dogs and concerned about their families, children and neighbors. Hardly means I'd want their successors running things here.

Ken

Bravo........Well stated!!!

He's the cheif of probably the worst .gov agency on American soil.

Was it shit befor he got there? Yeah.
Did it get better? LoL, still going down hill like a bobsled team.

Hows that for a basis?

Back
Top Bottom