• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good places for shotgun shooting in eastern MA?

daveshrews

NES Member
I've recently decided to pull my shotguns out of the safe and blow the dust off in hopes of putting a few rounds through them. I'm a member of Mass Rifle in Woburn, and I know that only slugs are allowed from shotguns on the main (Loeb) range. My main shotgun has a full choke barrel, and I don't feel totally comfortable putting slugs through a full choke, and I've gotten a lot of mixed information from folks on whether or not that's ok. I'd rather not take any chances.

I'm aware of MRA's trap / sporting clays shoots on Wednesday's and Sunday's (where you can use bird / buckshot obviously), but unfortunately those days don't work very well for my schedule.

Does anyone know of another range somewhere within an hour of Boston where I could put some bird or buckshot downrange at my convenience? I'd prefer somewhere that I wouldn't have to join and could just pay by the hour... MFS in Framingham perhaps?

Even better, I'd love a nice open field where I could set up my own targets and have some fun. Perhaps I should start looking at land in NH... :)

Thanks!

The Fin Fur and Feather club in Millis, MA is open on Saturdays for public skeet. The other ranges are members only, but skeet and trap is open.

Holliston Sportsman's club has a very active trap program and is pretty casual. People are friendly and its open to the public. Breakfast and coffee as well.

Every Saturday rain or Shine, 10 AM.

I've recently decided to pull my shotguns out of the safe and blow the dust off in hopes of putting a few rounds through them. I'm a member of Mass Rifle in Woburn, and I know that only slugs are allowed from shotguns on the main (Loeb) range. My main shotgun has a full choke barrel, and I don't feel totally comfortable putting slugs through a full choke, and I've gotten a lot of mixed information from folks on whether or not that's ok. I'd rather not take any chances.

I'm aware of MRA's trap / sporting clays shoots on Wednesday's and Sunday's (where you can use bird / buckshot obviously), but unfortunately those days don't work very well for my schedule.

Does anyone know of another range somewhere within an hour of Boston where I could put some bird or buckshot downrange at my convenience? I'd prefer somewhere that I wouldn't have to join and could just pay by the hour... MFS in Framingham perhaps?

Even better, I'd love a nice open field where I could set up my own targets and have some fun. Perhaps I should start looking at land in NH... :)

Thanks!

I feel your pain on the three slug rule at MRA. I don't know why considering you can come in with as much of any other caliber.

Lawrence Rod & Gun has open trap shooting on Friday morning, Woburn Sportsmans Assoc has open trap on Wednesday and Saturday mornings. Tewksbury Rod & Gun has open trap on Saturday morning....

I feel your pain on the three slug rule at MRA. I don't know why considering you can come in with as much of any other caliber.

Wait, 3 slug rule? What rule is this? I haven't even heard of that one. The only one I know of for shotguns is no shot other than slugs.

Thanks everyone for all the great responses - I'll see what works best for me and then give it a try!

Thanks!

FWIW I have a fixed full choke mossy 500 and I put slugs through it all the time and have never had an issue.

FWIW I have a fixed full choke mossy 500 and I put slugs through it all the time and have never had an issue.

Good to know - thanks. I just don't have a ton of experience with shotguns so I've asked around, and people tend to have very mixed opinions about whether it will screw up your barrel or not. Some say it's fine, and some say it will blow up in your face. My knowledge of engineering leads me to believe it will be fine but I haven't wanted to take the chance yet.

I approve of your avatar pic, by the way. :)

Good to know - thanks. I just don't have a ton of experience with shotguns so I've asked around, and people tend to have very mixed opinions about whether it will screw up your barrel or not. Some say it's fine, and some say it will blow up in your face. My knowledge of engineering leads me to believe it will be fine but I haven't wanted to take the chance yet.

I approve of your avatar pic, by the way. :)

My mossy also throws a slug very well I might add. Hits about 2 inches left of point of aim at 75 yards.......very predictable. Can hit moment of paper plate (yeah......I'm pretty back woods with my technology) which to me is enough to hit the vitals of a deer at 50 yards so good nuf for deer season in Massachusetts woods! My boxes of remmy "sluggers" even says "safe for all chokes" on the packaging......and I've put at least 100 of em through that gun over the last 2 years........no problems.

I loaded that avatar yesterday. It's supposed be an animated one.....it does not "animate" on my screen......is it moving on yours?

Unfortunately, no....

Damn! THis is what you are supposed to see! Anyone know how to make that my avatar and have it animated? I have it in my photobucket account/
U0JFAJK.gif

Last edited:
Nashoba sportsman's club in Acton used to have a trap shoot every Sunday morning, not sure if it is still going on.

As far as shooting slugs through chokes, I would check the fun or ammo manufacturer

Wait, 3 slug rule? What rule is this? I haven't even heard of that one. The only one I know of for shotguns is no shot other than slugs.

Thanks everyone for all the great responses - I'll see what works best for me and then give it a try!

In Loeb you are limited to slugs only and three at a time.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom