Good place to live/shoot in NH

Hi All. I live in the Boston area and am considering moving to New Hampshire. I want to buy a home in a small town (but near enough to a larger city to shop), and which has an active sport shooting community and a nice range! [grin] Any ideas?

Thanks!
Karben17

Find a place you have a few acres and you can shoot for free on your land...

Derry seems to be a gun friendly town but thats not always the case,especially along the Mass border. A neighborhood group of transplanted Ma**h***s recently fought to close a local gun club because they didn't like the noise. If you find a town that looks good, call the police dept and ask about getting a permit for concealed carry. In Derry the policy seems to be if you ask for it,they issue it. If you get a more restrictive answer, I'd keep looking.

All towns are gun friendly, if they aren't, we just need a bunch of gun owners to make it gun friendly.

NH is gun friendly. You do not have to have any permits for guns (unless they are federal). There is no need to call the police to ask about Pistol Permits (NH's concealed gun permit) as they have to issue them if you're not crazy, etc. Basically, if you can buy a gun, you can get a NH Pistol Permit. They have to issue it in 14 days and it's $10 for 4 years.

For ranges they are just about everywhere. Check out http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Links/fish_and_game_clubs.htm

Hi All. I live in the Boston area and am considering moving to New Hampshire. I want to buy a home in a small town (but near enough to a larger city to shop), and which has an active sport shooting community and a nice range! [grin] Any ideas?

Thanks!
Karben17

How important is a good school system?

I highly reccomend Hollis; its a little pricier- but has top notch schools, preserves its farmland/old ways, and is generally a great place to live. Also conveniently located for commuting.

I live in Derry. Nice town. I joined Chester for the indoor range (best ventilation) and Pelham for the outdoor turning target pistol range.

Nashua has just re-done the indoor ventilation and have a 25 yard indoor range. They need to figure out hot to keep the range warm in the winter though.

They have a 600 yard rifle range and a half-way decent outdoor turning target range.

Hi! I don't need to live close to Boston...would be glad to go north of Concord maybe. I'm planning to work at home. Schools are not an issue, as I have no children. I would like a warmer spot (relatively)...not too high in the mountains! Thanks for all the responses so far...please keep sending them.

It's been a while, but I believe you pay the normal Mass. income tax. I've always lived in NH, but worked in Mass. for a few years, litterly one mile over the boarder (I could see NH from my office window). I still payed a few grand a year in MA taxes. I know that you can deduct for days that you work outside of MA, but that is only if you are actually working in a different state.

Romoman, if you live in NH and work in MA, what kind of income tax do you pay? How does that work? Thanks!

The company still withholds MA taxes as it would normal if you were a MA resident. If you work out of state you can deduct the number of days you worked out of state. I had 5 weeks of business trips to the left coast and worked from home 2-3 days a week. Unfortunately it is capped at 60% out of state for m4 based work.

Ashland N.H or any of the towns around it are really good.

When I went to get my Pistol license in Ashland the Chief told me to come back in the Afternoon to get it.

http://www.pelhammessageboard.com/phpbb/index.php
This is a link to Pelham's on-line message board. You can learn a lot about the town by reading some of the residents' comments, esp in the "General Topics" forum.
The voters have not been kind to the people who want big schools, new taj fire stations, expanded police depts, etc. Many people feel the town lags far behind other nearby towns in....status. If the taxes get much higher, I, for one, will have to sell (or raise the rent on my son and his family.)

Back
Top Bottom