Good local tackle shops in SE Mass.?

Quite_Exasperated

NES Member
Give me some names of good local tackle shops in the Boston/Warwick/Cape Cod triangle. Disillusioned with the BPS overpriced cheap Chinese crap purchased by a buyer in NYC who has never fished in xer life. Would like to give business to a local shop that stocks a good selection of tackle, bait and equipment. Fresh/salt/Large/Small fish all good. Figure there are some small shops out there who still offer a good selection on-site..

The one in Middleboro - Bobs? Damn. What's it called???? Hold on. . . .

TOM'S! Tom's Bait & Tackle. Rt 28 in Middleboro SOUTH of the Rotatary. Small shop. Mostly for bait. But a good place for lures and tackle that works here. He has a decent line of BICO jigs. If you haven't used a BICO, you need a BICO. Made in Norton. (TO THE MOON, ALICE!) They have good soft plastics and such. I'm an old-school guy. So soft plastics. Jigs. Spinners. They might have more. I just don't know b/c I don't look at anything else in terms of lures/tackle.

Tom passed away earlier this year. He was kind of a curmudgeon. But knew his stuff. He will be missed in the area.

Toms in middleboro, cms new bedford, Johns on acushnet river nb/acushnet line , main street wareham is a small shop , red top buzzards bay, few places in Fall Riv and there are even more in RI.

Some shops are more bait supply than anything, others carry everything and a couple will spin up a custom rod if you want.

I picked up a couple Falcon rods from Johns years ago, havent been there in a few years so not sure if they still carry them..

And if you want a challenge , give fly fishing a try. bears den in taunton for that.

Last edited:
Is Bear's Den still open???? Is it still right on the river south of hte Green on 140???? Never been in but I drove by it a few thousand times years ago. Then I found a saner way to get from my office in FR to my house in Taunton without having to drive on 140. Gosh I hate that road.

Try the Sportsman's Den in Quincy on Southern Artery. They deal in guns and ammo as well as bait and tackle. I've never actually shopped any of the fishing gear there, but the owner Ron is a good guy to deal with for the guns/ammo.

There is also a bait and tackle shop at the Fore River Bridge rotary on the Quincy side, but I've never been there.

Is Bear's Den still open???? Is it still right on the river south of hte Green on 140???? Never been in but I drove by it a few thousand times years ago. Then I found a saner way to get from my office in FR to my house in Taunton without having to drive on 140. Gosh I hate that road.

Bears Den is in the Standish Industrial park off of 495 in a huge space building. I haven't been in there in a few years, but they are good to deal with and will set you up right.

Yes, that stretch of 140 sucks, but I think they are repaving it as we speak.

@sig shooter - yes, M & D . I'd been there a couple times, but couldn't remember the name of it.

Oh. I know what building you're talking about. With the welding place. Right near my house. LOL

I don't fly fish, so no reason to go. But good to know.

They repaved. And in typical Taunton fashion, they did the absolute SHITTIEST job of it. It'll be torn up in the next couple of winters. There is a section about 200yds long where you can see the patch they put UNDER the finish coat. Like they never brought it all to grade. ???

Back
Top Bottom