Good day to hit the Range

Two days from now marks four weeks from rotator cuff surgery. I was told ten weeks until i can shoot a match. Went to the range today to see how much work i have to do.

Ended up shooting 7 mags before swapping to the ar. So 154 rounds.

From seven yards, starting with holstered pistol, hands “relaxed at sides”, (uspsa).

1 - draw and put one shot on target. Sub-second consistently.

2 - draw, one shot on target, transition, one shot on second target. Most 1.6 to 1.8. Couple just over 2

3 - draw, two on target, transition, two on target. Sub 3 consistently.

I tried a couple of raised hands facing uprange - slow and yanked the shot. Shoulder’s not ready for that.

14 shots outside of the down zero. 11 of them i called as i shot them.

I’m not unhappy. Much further along than I thought I’d be at this time.

IMG_4972.jpeg

Brought my Daughter out today for some practice.
Ruger 10/22 Compact.

Attachments

• IMG_0721.jpeg
    IMG_0721.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0728.jpeg
    IMG_0728.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0725.jpeg
    IMG_0725.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0719.jpeg
    IMG_0719.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0715.jpeg
    IMG_0715.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0735.jpeg
    IMG_0735.jpeg
    749.6 KB · Views: 31
Rotator cuff surgery four weeks this past Tuesday. Shot a USPSA match today, first match since the end of January, almost 3 months.

Good news is that I didn't suck. Too badly.

114 Alphas
25 Charlies
2 Deltas
3 Mikes and one FTSA, (yeah, that's where two of the mikes came from)

Need to practice now that I can shoot, need to move faster, I was sloppy. Time off from shooting shows.

EDITED

I've had a chance to look in depth at my stage scores. Movement is definitely still the issue, I take too long to shoot the stages.

We had two static stages, and I did okay on them.

One - facing three targets, draw and put three in the body, one in the head; Virgina (limited).
10 alpha, 6 charlie in 6.11 seconds.
Probably should have taken a little more time, four of my body shots were an inch below the A-zone.

Two - "El Presidente" classifier - Facing away from three targets, turn, draw, 2 on each, mandatory reload, 2 on each; Virginia (limited).
10 alpha, 2 charlie in 9.16 seconds, same problem with shooting low and my reload sucked.

Last edited:
Hit the range after work to try out/break in my new AR22. It's a Bear Creek Arms 22 upper on a dedicated lower I built for it. Magpul grip and CMC 2.5 lb drop in trigger. Here's the specs on the upper. BC-22 | .22 LR Right Side Charging Upper | 16" Black Nitride Heavy Barrel | 1:16 Twist | Blowback Gas System | 15" MLOK
SKU: 9007N-UASCH22LHB16116M-15M3

BCA1.jpg BCA2.jpg

Ran it wet as they suggest and the good news, about 250 rounds without a hiccup. Phew, that was my biggest concern. I ran 4 different types of ammo and 4 different mags.

BCA3.jpg BCA4.jpg

Accuracy varied with the different ammo, but as the clouds rolled in and skies opened I got one 10 shot group off with the Federal auto match. About an inch at 25 yards,(ignoring the low one i figure was my fault) so not great, not awful, but I have some good SK and Eley I'll try next. The exciting part is it ran perfect. Jury is out on whether it's Appleseed worthy but if not, I think it did pretty good.

BCA5.jpg

Last edited:
2a collevtive at my range. Helped out as SO.

Shot DD’s H9 plus a couple of their carbines.

Did a little night shooting but most monitored with an insane pair of night vision binoculars. That pic was taken in full dark. Downside - they’re about 30K

Attachments

• IMG_5029.jpeg
    IMG_5029.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5028.jpeg
    IMG_5028.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5042.jpeg
    IMG_5042.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5044.jpeg
    IMG_5044.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5045.jpeg
    IMG_5045.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5052.jpeg
    IMG_5052.jpeg
    617.5 KB · Views: 36
I did the first day of a two-day Pistolseed in Dunbarton, NH this weekend.

One of the shots got away from me on the 100y scaled target, so I really took my time with Pitcairn's Button and nailed it.

IMG_3669.jpg

Last PQT of day one and I earned the Pistoleer Patch (G17, iron sights).

IMG_3688 edit.jpg

Good times!

Last edited:
Handgun training today with the 10mm. Fun fact. My wife's g17 fit perfectly in my g20 chest holster. My 9mm reloads cost me 9 cents, which makes practice drawing from the holster pretty cheap.

I really like that g20. Manages recoil nicely and the sights make acquiring the target easy. I know a lot of people think they are cheap. And the probably are. But it just works.

Last edited:
Im not. Ive been to a few Appleseeds over the years but I never knew they did pistol courses.
This was the first Pistolseed in NH, and I believe maybe the first one in New England?

The Shoot Boss came from Michigan to run the NH Red Hats through the qual in preparation for an IBC.

This was the first Pistolseed in NH, and I believe maybe the first one in New England?

The Shoot Boss came from Michigan to run the NH Red Hats through the qual in preparation for an IBC.
I did skim through the schedule a little while ago and didnt see anything else listed in MA or NH this year.

there was one in CT last year iirc.
not many instructors around for them from what I am told. been keeping my eyes open for one to attend.

Back
Top Bottom