• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good day to hit the Range

Beautiful wood on that
Thanks. It’s all laminated wood (plywood) so nothing fancy but I dig the color.

Pistol grip is a little narrow for my hands and not very grippy so it will be interesting when my hands are sweaty.

Spent about 150 rounds working on grip and recoil control with my 9mm 1911. I was doing the Stoeger doubles drill, which is draw as fast as your can, but get a good sight picture and shoot 2 shots as fast as you, but you have to be able to call your shots. You can't just fling 2 shots and hope for the best. So even if you miss the A zone, and you called the miss, you are good because you can learn from the mistake. But if you get 2 As but didn't call them, then you didn't learn anything and its a failure

I found it to be a real interesting drill. Running 22 split is where the wheels were falling off for me, meaning I would walk up to the target and the 2nd hit was not where I expected it to be. but a 27 splits I was pretty confident walking up to the target... amazing what 5/100 of a second gets you.
22 splits I definitely felt my attention go from my sights to my trigger, I was more conscious of my trigger speed than the sight. 27s got that conscious thought back to the sights. Definitely a difference in the tension also.

25yards.jpg

Your weak hand shooting is good.
Thank you.

Spent about 150 rounds working on grip and recoil control with my 9mm 1911. I was doing the Stoeger doubles drill, which is draw as fast as your can, but get a good sight picture and shoot 2 shots as fast as you, but you have to be able to call your shots.
A few months ago I was at Dialed In Training Class and we did a "call your shots" drill.

25 yards, B8, 5 shots, 2 possible points per shot.

Each shot is called in/out of black and clock position call.

1 point for correct in/out and 1 point for clock value (+/- 1 hour).

An advanced version of the dill substitutes scoring ring value call for in/out.

I really liked the drill because it gave a quantitative way to determine how well the shootist is at calling shots.

Last edited:
Haven’t been to the range since late July and was able to sneak out today with the wife and baby gone lol.
Tested out the DW 357 after installing a factory 9lb hammer spring. No light strikes so far 🤞🏻

Also shot a couple mags through the FEG AK. I think I’ll save the brass cased x39 ammo for the AR. I forgot how far AK’s fling the cases. Could only find half of em 😂

Unfortunately did more talking than shooting. A friend was there who I haven’t seen in awhile. Couldn’t just go shoot and leave. Ah well, still nice to have some alone time. IMG_2746.jpeg

Combat Classic Evaluation: By Ken Hackathorn

Best of three runs (#2).

I didn't have an IDPA target, so I used a B-8 replacement center for the head target.

Head shot (circled hit is from the first run).

second run headshot.jpg

Target.

Hits outside the center scoring area were from the SHO & WHO stages.

second run score.jpg

Glock 17k with irons and WWB 9mm.

Eval Details:

Combat Classic Evaluation

By Ken Hackathorn via Blue Press

Target IDPA (AIM mod – Aim target center)

All start positions low ready, all strings start on signal

Stage Range Desc Time limit

1 3y 2 rounds 1.5 Seconds

2 5y 2 rounds to body, one to head 3 seconds

3 7y 2 rounds, repeat 2 Seconds (ea)

4 10y Start with 2 rounds in gun, fire 2 – reload – fire 2 8 sec (auto) 10 (rev)

5 10y Fire 2 freestyle, 2 SHO, 2 WHO

(Aim mod start ea pair separately) 9 sec (AIM – 3 sec ea)

6 10y fire 1 rnd (repeat 4 times for total of 5) 2.5 sec

7 15 Fire 6 rnds 8 sec.

Total Rounds fired= 30

150 pts Possible

Hard chrome anyone?…
Figured I’d get familiar with the Henry 44 for deer in a few weeksView attachment 806167
That right there is a beautiful gun. Mixed feelings about a score on a lever actoin though. It's screaming for an iron sight with a peep 😁

I think it's awesome you plan to hunt with it. I have a 357 and have been awful tempted to do the same. Someday I will.

That right there is a beautiful gun. Mixed feelings about a score on a lever actoin though. It's screaming for an iron sight with a peep 😁

I think it's awesome you plan to hunt with it. I have a 357 and have been awful tempted to do the same. Someday I will.
I tried not to go too crazy on the scope. It’s a nice lightweight Leupold 1.75-6x32. Discontinued a number of years ago.

I also have a stainless Skinner peep sight mounted in the rear sight dovetail below the front end of the scope. The aperture is removed to make room for the scope lol.

Got out on Veterans day with my son.

First time he out shot me... probably the first of many days. I'm happy and sad about that.
I blame my misses on testing different ammo to see what my rifle likes :cool:

It was a good day with the KYL and these battleship targets I picked up

rangeday.JPG
battleship.JPG

Yesterday I went to Twin Ponds range here in the Charleston, SC area. Brought a few handguns and 3 rifles. I wanted to run my 2 new lever guns - Henry Big Boy Color Case Hardened Carbine .45LC side gate and a new to me 1969 Marlin JM stamped 1894 in 357/38. I also brought my relatively new Colt 6940 M4 monolithic with a new Vortex 1x8 scope. I've attached a picture of my target from 75 yards with the Colt AR. You can see the first 2 shots at the bottom of the target as I walked it up to the center of the target. I think with a little more patience and match ammo this rifle would shoot very, very good groups.

The 2 lever guns were great also with the Henry at 50 yards hitting the bullseye every time. The Marlin dead on also. Just the standard sights on these 2 rifles. It was a "good day at the range!"

target colt.jpg

Colt 6940 before I mounted the optic.

colt_6940_02.jpg

Last edited:
I was able to sneak out to the range today for the first time in almost 2 months. Nothing crazy. Just shot some steel with the AR from various positions. Then shot some 357 mag.
Also shot the last of my Walmart 2019 firesale 15 cent per round 223 😂🤪 IMG_3394.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom