Gongs from shootingtargets7.com

Mbous

NES Member
I bought some 3/8 gongs made with AR500 steel from shootingtargets.com, took them to the range today. I have to day the targets did wonderful, the mounting kits sucked. I recieved my order very quickly from vendor and only required a little sanding to remove any little burs or specks from the cutting process. A few coats of rustoleum in white then red and they were set. The mounting kits came free with purchase of the targets. I replaced a few of the nuts with nuts with nylon inserts that hold better. Shooting at the range only caused some of the paint to flake off initally. The 5th or so hit on the largest gong I had caused it to suddenly hang from 1 chain instead of 2. The target next to it on the next shot also lost one chain. Further review showed the carriage bolt missing most of the head. My shooting buddy was guessing the bolt was pulled hard enought that it sheared the head off. I was leaning more towards I might have just had bad luck and shot the head off of the bolt. Looks like I'm going to have to place some more washers around it and use some hardened bolts. Thought the target in the picture may also have taken a round close to the bolt. The other target didn't have any damage near the bolts but the carriage bolt looked the same. The targets held up though getting shot with 7.62x51 ball ammo at 100 yards.
Bolt shear close up.jpg Gong with shear bolt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom