• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gold and silver prices are down

Don’t you mean bulls?

When I posted that I was looking at Apmex who shows the bid price rather than spot, so it was over $1800. But the point was that bears weren’t able to trigger a sell off below $1800 as they hoped.

Not sure gold will go to $1680-1700 anymore, miners look like they’ve bottomed, and they are the best indicator of gold’s direction. Miners didn’t go down much despite the $50 gold move.

Tomorrow might be crunch time for gold bears.

True. I was actually looking at the MS coins vs random year mint stuff. Few hundred difference.

Ebay sucks now since the Bucks deals are gone. APMEX occasionally has a good sale, if you can combine that with 5% Bucks to get $100 off.

I used to use the Bucks to buy silver but now silver prices are a joke there. So Bucks aren’t that useful anymore.

Ebay sucks now since the Bucks deals are gone. APMEX occasionally has a good sale, if you can combine that with 5% Bucks to get $100 off.

I used to use the Bucks to buy silver but now silver prices are a joke there. So Bucks aren’t that useful anymore.
Ah, reminiscing the days before the 2008 crash. My favorite years.

Seriously though. What kinda guitars do you play? I play guitars. I am not a guitar player, 😁
I'm looking for my 1st [laugh]. I've been a fan of guitar forever. I just never got around to actually doing it. I've got more time now, so I'm consuming info. I'm on Sweetwater every day.
I'm leaning towards a Gibson Les Paul standard/studio? Not much Gibson in stock at SW.
Kinda like silver [rofl]

I'm looking for my 1st [laugh]. I've been a fan of guitar forever. I just never got around to actually doing it. I've got more time now, so I'm consuming info. I'm on Sweetwater every day.
I'm leaning towards a Gibson Les Paul standard/studio? Not much Gibson in stock at SW.
Kinda like silver [rofl]
I play acoustics and classical exclusively. Don’t know anything much about electrics but always wanted to own one. Gots lots of rare 70’s Japanese guitars with Brazilian Rosewood and other CITES restricted stuff.

Go for it! Silver Les Paul. Once you cross the plateau you will enjoy it immensely like I have.

That’s like $360/oz over spot

Yeah, forgot they are .9675 of an ounce. But for a coin over 100 years old in BU condition... priceless!

:)

Gold spot is $1815
Two of these coins cost $2084
.9675 * 1815 = $1756
Cost over spot = $328, or $164/coin

I was comparing the price of these coins to the price of gold American Eagles today and the premium over AGE's for an old, nice coin was not much.

Yeah, forgot they are .9675 of an ounce. But for a coin over 100 years old in BU condition... priceless!

:)

Gold spot is $1815
Two of these coins cost $2084
.9675 * 1815 = $1756
Cost over spot = $328, or $164/coin

I was comparing the price of these coins to the price of gold American Eagles today and the premium over AGE's for an old, nice coin was not much.

Now 5% Bucks - so the deal is a little better. There's also this, which would get $100 Bucks.

Not really good enough deals for me, since Ebay bucks aren't worth what they used to be (when silver was cheap).

Interesting history of silver price as referenced in a book I’m reading about the history of Hubbardston by John Stowe, 1881.

“During all these years the families of soldiers were faithfully provided for at the expense of the town. They received no state aid, as in the War of the Rebellion. As early as 1777, a committee was appointed to provide for these families, and 100 pounds raised for the purpose. Each succeeding year, during the war, some action was taken in relation to this matter, and several appropriations were made, but such was the state of the treasury that few of the bills were presented before 1782. A few specimens of these accounts are inserted here to show the names of some of the soldiers, and how their families were taken care of.
-Town of Hubbardston indebted to me for supplying the women whose husbands were in the service of the U. S.,for 1778.
Delivered to the wife of Asa Church 5 1/2 Bushels of Indian corn, 8 bushels of Rye, 117 lbs of fresh pork and 100 lbs of Beef.
Delivered to the wife of Israel Mead 7 Bushels Indian corn 4 1/2 Bushels Rye 38 lbs. cheese 83 lbs. Beef one pair Shooes 1/2 Bushel malt one peck salt 5 Bushels Potatoes.
Delivered to the wife of Andrew Barber 2 Bushels Indian Corn 1 Bushel Rye 7 1/2 lbs cheese which I delivered in behalf of the town, for which I now pray for allowance for the same.
WILLIAM MAREAN. Hubbardston, October 8th, 1781.
"The above account was voted as it stands without any price anext to sd articles."
At the same meeting it was voted to allow " Capt. Adam Wheeler for geting three Beriels of Sider by the Desire of the Selectmen for Mr. Stephen Churchs wife at 3s. per Beriel 9s.
For transport of sd Sider from Rutland 4s."
Besides the calls for men as stated above, and the expense of providing for their families, frequent demands were made upon the town to furnish beef for the army, In 1780, the General Court sent an order for 3420 pounds. The town voted to comply with the request, and the currency had so far depreciated that they raised 5130 pounds to pay for it, which would make the cost over seven dollars per pound. On the 1st of January,

So HISTORY OF HUBBARDSTOX.
1 78 1, another committee was chosen to purchase beef and I0,000 pounds was raised to pay for it. This would make more than $60,000 raised in less than a year, for the purchase of beef. In estimating the sacrifices of those times we must remember that this money had cost them as much as good money costs in ordinary times. Several other calls were made for beef, and were met, and accounts were allowed for driving cattle to Rutland, for the army - . Some of the men who took these Contracts for beef, and received pay in continental money, were totally ruined. The currency continued so to depreciate in value, that at one time the town voted to allow one silver dollar for $75 paper money. Then it decreased so that $90 would pay only one dollar taxes, and finally the town voted not to receive any more paper money.”

Interesting history of silver price as referenced in a book I’m reading about the history of Hubbardston by John Stowe, 1881.

“During all these years the families of soldiers were faithfully provided for at the expense of the town. They received no state aid, as in the War of the Rebellion. As early as 1777, a committee was appointed to provide for these families, and 100 pounds raised for the purpose. Each succeeding year, during the war, some action was taken in relation to this matter, and several appropriations were made, but such was the state of the treasury that few of the bills were presented before 1782. A few specimens of these accounts are inserted here to show the names of some of the soldiers, and how their families were taken care of.
-Town of Hubbardston indebted to me for supplying the women whose husbands were in the service of the U. S.,for 1778.
Delivered to the wife of Asa Church 5 1/2 Bushels of Indian corn, 8 bushels of Rye, 117 lbs of fresh pork and 100 lbs of Beef.
Delivered to the wife of Israel Mead 7 Bushels Indian corn 4 1/2 Bushels Rye 38 lbs. cheese 83 lbs. Beef one pair Shooes 1/2 Bushel malt one peck salt 5 Bushels Potatoes.
Delivered to the wife of Andrew Barber 2 Bushels Indian Corn 1 Bushel Rye 7 1/2 lbs cheese which I delivered in behalf of the town, for which I now pray for allowance for the same.
WILLIAM MAREAN. Hubbardston, October 8th, 1781.
"The above account was voted as it stands without any price anext to sd articles."
At the same meeting it was voted to allow " Capt. Adam Wheeler for geting three Beriels of Sider by the Desire of the Selectmen for Mr. Stephen Churchs wife at 3s. per Beriel 9s.
For transport of sd Sider from Rutland 4s."
Besides the calls for men as stated above, and the expense of providing for their families, frequent demands were made upon the town to furnish beef for the army, In 1780, the General Court sent an order for 3420 pounds. The town voted to comply with the request, and the currency had so far depreciated that they raised 5130 pounds to pay for it, which would make the cost over seven dollars per pound. On the 1st of January,

So HISTORY OF HUBBARDSTOX.
1 78 1, another committee was chosen to purchase beef and I0,000 pounds was raised to pay for it. This would make more than $60,000 raised in less than a year, for the purchase of beef. In estimating the sacrifices of those times we must remember that this money had cost them as much as good money costs in ordinary times. Several other calls were made for beef, and were met, and accounts were allowed for driving cattle to Rutland, for the army - . Some of the men who took these Contracts for beef, and received pay in continental money, were totally ruined. The currency continued so to depreciate in value, that at one time the town voted to allow one silver dollar for $75 paper money. Then it decreased so that $90 would pay only one dollar taxes, and finally the town voted not to receive any more paper money.”
So as someone new to gold and silver investing. What coins or bars or rounds would you recommend someone start with if they had a couple grand to invest?

So as someone new to gold and silver investing. What coins or bars or rounds would you recommend someone start with if they had a couple grand to invest?
I’m a simple guy. Get the 99.99999% pure stuff like Gold Buffalos or Canadian Maple Leafs. Get the same type of coins for 99.99999% silver content.

There are many guys here who like certain coins whether vintage or otherwise with certain percentages of precious metal content. If I would have changed one thing I would have bought a lot more silver bullion like the Apmex silver eagles in the roll of 20 in addition to the gold I have. Those Apmex rolls were going for like $440 during the NY’s sale. I’m kicking myself for not buying deep then 😢

I’m a simple guy. Get the 99.99999% pure stuff like Gold Buffalos or Canadian Maple Leafs. Get the same type of coins for 99.99999% silver content.

There are many guys here who like certain coins whether vintage or otherwise with certain percentages of precious metal content. If I would have changed one thing I would have bought a lot more silver bullion like the Apmex silver eagles in the roll of 20 in addition to the gold I have. Those Apmex rolls were going for like $440 during the NY’s sale. I’m kicking myself for not buying deep then 😢
Thanks. So you see zero issue with resale value of Canadian mint gold vs US?

Thanks. So you see zero issue with resale value of Canadian mint gold vs US?

Commodities are valued as commodities, not by the branding. Only comes into play if you are buying and selling based on the numismatics, whereas the bullion market is based on purity and weight of the commodity.

If you are buying physical metal for the purpose of holding metal, I would recommend going with whatever you can get with an eye to minimizing the:
  1. Premium paid over the current spot price
  2. Likelihood of being fake
Maple leaf and Eagles are both the most popular and highest premium bullion coins in North America and also the most commonly encountered fakes.
If you're not looking for fancy proofs and slabbed (graded) coins, you might prefer 22k over "pure" gold, so you can actually stack your stack and hear the "clink".

Why not pure? Because "pure" coins are more prone to damage than their ~90-92.5% pure alloy counterparts. If you're paying a premium for pristine uncirculated eagles, you're not going to want to damage them by playing Scrooge McDuck.

Commodities are valued as commodities, not by the branding. Only comes into play if you are buying and selling based on the numismatics, whereas the bullion market is based on purity and weight of the commodity.
The consumer resale market is driven purely by the amount of precious metal contained, if the coin contains 1 troy ounce of gold and a bit of base metal alloy, then it won't be worth less than a maple leaf which is labeled as .99999 fine gold.

This does get a little more complicated when you start talking about "melt value" and silver, where there is much more of a market for buying "junk" and melting it down.

Last edited:
The consumer resale market is driven purely by the amount of precious metal contained, if the coin contains 1 troy ounce of gold and a bit of base metal alloy, then it won't be worth less than a maple leaf which is labeled as .99999 fine gold

Yeah maybe it didn’t come across in my post but that was why I didn’t just say “weight” but said “purity and weight”

1lb of 99.99999% silver is worth roughly the same as 2lb of 50.00% silver.

Weight on a scale is only relevant If the purity is known.

The currency continued so to depreciate in value, that at one time the town voted to allow one silver dollar for $75 paper money. Then it decreased so that $90 would pay only one dollar taxes, and finally the town voted not to receive any more paper money.”

We’ve lost our common sense.

Gold and silver eagles, Maples or Buffalos, any year, don’t buy the MS70 etc just buy the cheapest ones from reputable vendors like APMEX. Coins are more recognizable and harder to fake then bars or rounds so I just buy coins from the mints. I would trust bars or rounds from APMEX, but your future buyer is buying from you, not APMEX.

Back
Top Bottom