Going to MFL with MA permit/firearm

So as I wait for my application to the local club be approved, I was thinking about taking my .40 up to MFL. What's the policy for a MA LTC-A holder? Obviously no CC - I assume no OC as well? Is it legal to disassemble the gun, drive to MFL, put it back together, use it, then disassemble it again for the drive back to MA?

So as I wait for my application to the local club be approved, I was thinking about taking my .40 up to MFL. What's the policy for a MA LTC-A holder? Obviously no CC - I assume no OC as well? Is it legal to disassemble the gun, drive to MFL, put it back together, use it, then disassemble it again for the drive back to MA?

Although this question has been asked and answered a million times, here goes one million and one.
Your MA LTC don't mean beans in NH.
NH statutes tell you what you cannot do.
Without a NH PRL (Pistol & Revolver License) there is one thing you cannot do and that is to carry a loaded pistol/revolver concealed upon your person.
In a car is considered concealed.
Done.

I've from MA with LTC-A and I was told I needed a non-resident permit from NH if I wanted to bring a handgun into the state, loaded or otherwise. Cost is about the same as LTC I was told.

I don't think it matters if you take it apart, as long as you have all the pieces I believe that would be constructive possession.

I've from MA with LTC-A and I was told I needed a non-resident permit from NH if I wanted to bring a handgun into the state, loaded or otherwise. Cost is about the same as LTC I was told.

I don't think it matters if you take it apart, as long as you have all the pieces I believe that would be constructive possession.

You need no permit, license or permission slip from your mom to possess a handgun, long gun, muzzleloader or BB gun in NH, whether you're a resident of NH, MA, or the moon......just not concealed or in a car while loaded.

/thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

This is just wrong, see post above yours

You have no idea what in the hell you are talking about. Please, for everyone's safety, stay in Mass.

Very often the worst part of gun laws is the part where people make shit up!!!

Very often the worst part of gun laws is the part where people make shit up!!!

Indeed. Oftentimes what I read is so stupid that I just "pass on by" instead of wasting my time trying to correct it.

Exactly.

+1
The laws in NH are simple enough that it's usually easiest to read them for yourself instead of random stuff people post on the Internet.

This!

Is it legal to disassemble the gun, drive to MFL, put it back together, use it, then disassemble it again for the drive back to MA?

Guys, guys, you didn't answer his actual question!

Is it legal? Yes.

Necessary? No.

Stupid? Hells ****ing yes OPEN-CARRY THAT **** LIKE A BAWSE IN NH AND DON'T LOOK BACK.

You were told wrong...period...like it has been previously stated: in New Hampshire you can possess a handgun without a permit or license. You cannot carry it concealed on your person. You may open carry it. You cannot have a loaded firearm in your vehicle without a license... put your unloaded firearm in your trunk. how much more simple an explanation do you need? Do your research and give a prayer of thanks that a poster named Scrivner can no longer post here. [horse]

You're overthinking it. Unload the gun, drive to NH, shoot, enjoy yourself. No need to disassemble anything, use stupid ****ing locks, etc. NH does none of that shit. Long as the gun is unloaded you're good to go.

Loaded OC is legal by default but its pretty worthless as you still need the permit to keep a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle.

-Mike

The things MA does to peoples' thought process...it is truly horrifying. No sarcasm at all. That state has people thinking that it is NORMAL to have these sorts of rules regarding a chunk of plastic and metal. They think that nonsense is what is supposed to happen in America.

I weep for our future. How can we ever have a free country when so many don't even know what one looks like? Positively Orwellian.

The things MA does to peoples' thought process...it is truly horrifying. No sarcasm at all. That state has people thinking that it is NORMAL to have these sorts of rules regarding a chunk of plastic and metal. They think that nonsense is what is supposed to happen in America.

I weep for our future. How can we ever have a free country when so many don't even know what one looks like? Positively Orwellian.

It's the laws written here to say what we CAN do. Not what we CAN'T do. Completely different thought process. And very un American.

It's the laws written here to say what we CAN do. Not what we CAN'T do. Completely different thought process. And very un American.

Wrong. Even in MA the gun laws are written to be explicitly restrictive- EG, anything not restricted by the law is legal. We just happen to have more complicated and shitty laws that gives the impression that the law provides a direct narrative for what is legal, but that isn't the case. Besides this isn't what Nicole is talking about at all, really.... rather the mindset that authoritarian level gun laws are "normal" and the only way you would get that kind of mindset is if you lived in a craphole like MA, NY, NJ, etc... and never realized that most of the rest of the country doesn't live under 95% of the BS we go through WRT guns.

-Mike

Last edited:
You have no idea what in the hell you are talking about. Please, for everyone's safety, stay in Mass.

Lighten up! The licensing officer at my PD is the one who told me this back in December when I renewed, not something I made up out of thin air. Get a grip

Lighten up! The licensing officer at my PD is the one who told me this back in December when I renewed, not something I made up out of thin air. Get a grip

It might as well be. LEOs are very frequently not very well versed in gun laws, contrary to popular belief. A lot of them make up and believe stupid shit they heard from some other blowhard about gun laws. They're not lawyers so they have no built in intuition to actually do the whole "trust, but verify" thing.

-Mike

It might as well be. LEOs are very frequently not very well versed in gun laws, contrary to popular belief. A lot of them make up and believe stupid shit they heard from some other blowhard about gun laws. They're not lawyers so they have no built in intuition to actually do the whole "trust, but verify" thing.

-Mike

while your advice is certainly sound, I think the more important thing - in this particular thread anyway - is that both jpm and I asked questions/made comments that were met with some level of vitriol. it's like, fine maybe he was wrong, maybe my question was asked a million times. big f'ing deal. if you don't want to answer the question, then don't. too many hardos in this forum who seem to only chime in when they can ridicule someone's lack of knowledge. like I give a **** if some dude - who is banned - would jump all over me for my question? buncha interweb tough guys. "stay in MA," STFU.

while your advice is certainly sound, I think the more important thing - in this particular thread anyway - is that both jpm and I asked questions/made comments that were met with some level of vitriol. it's like, fine maybe he was wrong, maybe my question was asked a million times. big f'ing deal. if you don't want to answer the question, then don't. too many hardos in this forum who seem to only chime in when they can ridicule someone's lack of knowledge. like I give a **** if some dude - who is banned - would jump all over me for my question? buncha interweb tough guys. "stay in MA," STFU.

I don't really care much but I think the reason people get in a twist is because when people ask questions thinking they half know the answer instead of just saying "What do I need to do legally to do X?" then the responses you get are going to be different. If you start talking about stuff like taking apart guns people are going to make an inference that perhaps, someone has tried to pollute the questioner's brain already, and that said pollution has to be undone before being able to give something resembling a correct
answer. Let's engage in a graphic illustration.

What do I need to do to properly take a right turn on a red light in MA?

Versus:

What do I need to do to take a right turn on a red light in MA? A cop once told me that if I honk the horn in three half second pulses, stick my left hand out the window and give all other drivers in the vicinity a middle finger, and then step on the accelerator pedal as hard as I can, I'm good to go legally. "

Which one of those do you think is going to cause someone to go "WTF?" more? [laugh] The second one, because the responder is going to be thinking the whole time "Hey I wonder what else this guy believes too, I should save him from himself."

Nothing against jpm, but the tone of his post may have mislead someone to believe that what he repeated was actually legitimate. It's like if someone on here decides to say something like "Someone told me that it's OK to lock my pistol in the glove box, so you're probably OK." they're going to get jumped on, and for good reason.

-Mike

responder is going to be thinking the whole time "Hey I wonder what else this guy believes too, I should save him from himself."

Nothing against jpm, but the tone of his post may have mislead someone to believe that what he repeated was actually legitimate. It's like if someone on here decides to say something like "Someone told me that it's OK to lock my pistol in the glove box, so you're probably OK." they're going to get jumped on, and for good reason.

fair enough. though I find the forum much more useful when people provide actual information vs. "<SIGH>Let me go out of my way to either condescendingly answer a question or not answer a question but try to make someone else feel stupid." I have no problem when someone corrects a misstatement but doing so in a caustic manner or just being a d-bag helps no one.

Kodiak,

It's all in the way you posit the question and frankly why not do more than a "cursory search" like the NH State website or packing.org ? Might not a better question be: where might I find information regarding non-residents carrying handguns in NH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if search results are listed haphazardly or by relevance, but my first two searches, "carrying in NH" and "NH ccw laws" didn't provide a result in which the title made it clear the info I was looking for was contained therein. maybe you have time to search numerous threads, I didn't. I figured I would ask those who know. sorry if my firearms question ran afoul of your firearm forum rules...

You may not have time to search various threads but you certainly have time to articulate how people responded to your inquiry. An interesting time management perspective IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MA law forum has 27 sticky threads, NH forum has one unreadably long one.

The New Hampshire Laws forum has 1 sticky thread, the Massachusetts Laws forum has 27 sticky threads. The answer to the OP's question was buried somewhere in the 175 replies on that thread.
[thinking]
Maybe we can break down and add a second sticky thread here?

fair enough. though I find the forum much more useful when people provide actual information vs. "<SIGH>Let me go out of my way to either condescendingly answer a question or not answer a question but try to make someone else feel stupid." I have no problem when someone corrects a misstatement but doing so in a caustic manner or just being a d-bag helps no one.
I kill two birds with one stone -- make them feel stupid by linking to the actual RSA answering their question.

The New Hampshire Laws forum has 1 sticky thread, the Massachusetts Laws forum has 27 sticky threads. The answer to the OP's question was buried somewhere in the 175 replies on that thread.
[thinking]
Maybe we can break down and add a second sticky thread here?

Maybe I will create a "Traveling to NH with guns?" one... but it is going to be the shortest FAQ I have ever written. It could probably fit on a cocktail napkin. Half of the space will be wasted trying to communicate the fact that "if there isn't a law against it it's legal"

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom