Going to be flying with my handgun, a few questions.

I am going to FL soon and want to take my handgun with me and carry it while I am there. I have a MA LTC ALP and will have a FL CCW Permit. I will be flying from Boston to FL directly and then back directly.

From reading other threads I have learned the following:
-Gun needs to be unloaded in a locked container.
-Ammo needs to be in original box and locked in a container as well. Can be the same container as the firearm.
-When I get to the airport when I check in, I tell the agent that I need to declare a firearm. They open the container, check to see if it's unloaded, then close the case and lock it again. They then will put it under the plane with the rest of my luggage.
-When I get to the airport in FL the case with the gun in it will be picked up just like the rest of my luggage will.

Upon return trip:
Do the exact same things I did while heading down.

Is all this the correct procedure for flying with a firearm or am I missing some stuff? Should I call the airline to check what they say about flying with my gun?

Thanks!

You've got it damn near perfect. Just a few minor points...

1. Make sure you use a NON TSA APPROVED (regular) lock, and a hard sided container.

2. After you open it for the counter person, they will place a declaration tag INSIDE the container. Then, they will have you bring it to the TSA staff, where they will put it through the X-ray. You may have to provide the key (or combination) if they need to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after it's cleared.

3. Yes, I would check with your airline, as individual policies vary (in regards to ammo in the same case, the amount of ammo allowed, etc.).

Other than that, you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Great advice so far. I would also print out both TSA page already linked in this thread and corresponding page about traveling with firearms for the particular airline you are flying with. Just in case you get that special person that does not know the rules or tries to make new ones as he/she goes.

Non-TSA locks on the gun case, and I usually use non-TSA lock on the luggage the gun case goes into as well. Just write your cell phone number on the lock (no guarantee that it won't be cut off anyway, but it is only few bucks).

When you are flying out of Logan - agent will usually take you the TSA for inspection. Depending on what airport you are flying out of in Florida, they might just take your bag after declaration/tagging and tell you that they will call you on PA iif TSA needs you to open the locks.

You got it down just fine. Traveling with firearms is more intimidating than actually a hassle. As long as you're legal, there won't be any issues and you've got the procedure down pat.

However........... Allow me to just add two bits that I personally do and have expereinced. As much as we don't want to think about it, there is always a chance your luggage will be lost, even on a non-stop flight. tI happened to my firearms! I went to Pittsburgh, my rifles decided to go to Charlotte. Duh! Trust me. it's good to be prepared in that event because you'll be livid. Worse, if your luggage is trifled with, you'll want to be prepared, too.

First of all, as you've said, the TSA will look at your handgun, place the label inside, and close up your luggage. At that point here's what I do. I have a 'zip-tie" that I ask the TSA to insert through the locking rings on my luggage. Now, if someone has to get in there (another TSA for example) they will simply cut it and put a note inside your bag. If, however, you get to your destination and that zip tie is missing and there' s no notification in your bag, you'll know someone has opened it illegally. Just something that I've begun doing rather than "investing" in tiny locks. Zip ties work great for this.

Now onto the subject at hand.

First of all, if your luggage arrives as it should, before you leave the terminal, you should most definately but covertly open your bag and make sure the boxes are still there. Don't make a big deal of it. Just check. Don't assume they are there; look at them. If they are, go on your merry way and have a good time.

If they aren't, you've got to be prepared to handle this. You're going to be upset so preparing for this unlikely event ahead of time is a good thing to do. It takes only a minute and you wont' have to think much.

1) Take out a business card right now, flip it over, and write down the serial number and caliber of your handgun along with any other distinguishing marks or features and also the brand, color, distinguishing marks of your luggage along with the bag tag number when you get it. Also, write down the phone number of the BAFTE below that. Stick that info in your wallet. If your luggage disappears, you'll be able to provide important and immediate information to the people on the other end. The brand, color, size, of your luggage is also critical info. We take them for granted until someone asks us to describe it, even using a chart. Any distinguishing features will assist the airline with finding it quickly.

2) Should the worst happen: your bag is lost or has been tampered with, you'll want to demand.......not ask.....for a supervisor and even a LEO to be present at baggage claim. Be extremely firm but professional and tell them that you are calling the BATFE and reporting it stolen unless they can find it for you immediately. If your luggage is lost, it can be found by their computer quite quickly and they'll be sure to get it to you. IF, however, your luggage is tampered with, you'll be able to give them all the pertinant information quickly and also contact the BATFE with the information as well. They act on this stuff and take it very seriously. The airlines don't like Agents poking around.

I know, I know.........some of you think this is a buzzkill but if you don't want to be fumbling around stammering as your blood pressure spikes, having that info will keep you cool. You'll be able to provide the authorities with important info that might work in your behalf and quickly.

Just a suggestion that doesn't cost a penny.

Rome

Another little tip, Pelican cases and other high end lockable cases draw attention from thiefs. I always place my pelican case inside an average looking suitcase of a similar size so when it comes off the plane and on to the carousel it wont draw attention

DO NOT let them keep the key!

One lady tried to do that to me. NO WAY.

It's not that hard. Just declare it and they will walk you through the steps. I use a hard pistol case and keep my ammo in a separate box within the same checked baggage.
The people at the counter will freak out a bit and then take you over to TSA who might freak out a bit as well. No big deal. Just tell them it's unloaded (make sure it is first)

Thanks for all the info, it does seem pretty easy to do.
I was thinking about using my Pelican case and putting 2 locks on the case, maybe I should rethink this due to the comment above about theft.
Also thanks a lot for the info on what to do if my case gets lost, or stolen, or tampered with. Good to know now what to do then when it happens.

Unrelated question. I am taking my DSLR camera down with me and that is also in a Pelican case, identical to the gun case, can I carry this on board with me or does it have to be checked? What can I carry on with me?
I also should note I have NEVER been on a plane before.

when you land go right to the area to get your firearms, it happen to a guy he went to the mens room when he then he went to get his firearms there where gone some one stole them,he report them a month later he got them back.

Generally, you are allowed 1 "carry-on" bag, and 1 "personal item" (briefcase, camera case, laptop, etc.)

Here is Delta's policy for example:

Carry-on Baggage

All Delta passengers are allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item that meet the criteria below. See Security Check-in for liquid and gel restrictions.
Size and Weight Restrictions

If your carry-on bag doesn't meet these size restrictions it must be checked, and all checked baggage rules will apply. Your bag must:
* Not exceed 45 inches (length + width + height), or 115 cm.
* Fit easily in our SizeCheck® unit (approximately 22"x14"x9", or 56x36x23 cm).
* Fit in an overhead bin or underneath the seat in front of you.
Personal Items

You're allowed one personal item from this sample list:

* Purses, briefcases, camera cases, and diaper bags
* Laptop computers (can’t be checked and must be carried on)
* Items of a similar or smaller size to those above

Other Carry-on Items Allowed

You may also bring these items onboard. They do not count toward your personal item.

* Food items for immediate consumption
* Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or crutches
* One box or bag of duty free merchandise
* A coat, jacket, or umbrella

Exceptions

Additional restrictions to carry-on baggage may exist due to available space and limitations on certain flights.

Call or check your airline's website for their individual policies, as they vary slightly.

Back
Top Bottom