Going on a hunt of a lifetime this November

I was invited by a friend to join in a self guided Elk hunt in New Mexico. We all pulled tags and are scheduled for September. Good luck with your hunt in Montana!

Here's the guide service we are using: http://www.kiowahunting.com/self-guided-drop-camp-elk-hunts

-kg

Congrats and good luck! I have heard great things about New Mexico. Looking forward to hearing about your success!

Also, as an aside, I picked up my ammo for the trip today. Bought 3 boxes.

Last edited:
Congrats and good luck! I have heard great things about New Mexico. Looking forward to hearing about your success!

Also, as an aside, I picked up my ammo for the trip today. Bought 3 boxes.

Awesome. Mine is a bow hunt, so I will be tuning the bow and shooting between now and then.

-kg

Sir Gawain -

In doing some on line searching, I found your post about your November Hunt with Medicine lake Outfitters November 12-19.

I am from Vermont and am doing the same hunt with my Brother on Nov 21-29 (Thanksgiving Week). I am a teacher so this is the only week that I can go. It should be cold and snowy, but I look forward to the challenge.

I have had very similar conversations with Tom Heintz in prepping for the trip, and just talked with him yesterday. He has set up the camp for the Oct 25 season start and has LOTS of big bulls! Can't wait to go. I hope that we can communicate after your return, I would love to know how your hunt went. ma1819

Sir Gawain -

In doing some on line searching, I found your post about your November Hunt with Medicine lake Outfitters November 12-19.

I am from Vermont and am doing the same hunt with my Brother on Nov 21-29 (Thanksgiving Week). I am a teacher so this is the only week that I can go. It should be cold and snowy, but I look forward to the challenge.

I have had very similar conversations with Tom Heintz in prepping for the trip, and just talked with him yesterday. He has set up the camp for the Oct 25 season start and has LOTS of big bulls! Can't wait to go. I hope that we can communicate after your return, I would love to know how your hunt went. ma1819

No kidding! Maybe we will cross paths when we are leaving. What part of VT are you from? One of the guys I am going with is from Rutland.

Good to hear about the Bulls!

Will definitely share our experience, planning on posting here as well.

Good luck to you, I can't wait eirher!

Last edited:
Hit the road Sunday....Man I can't believe the trip is already here! Double checking my gear tomorrow morning than double checking again! Can't wait to hit the trailhead.

I am sure you will have an amazing time. Post up lots of pics when you get back. Hunts like this are incredible, have a great time!!

Pack your woolies...we're getting smacked with an Alaskan storm. The cold front ought to be gone by the time you arrive but you should expect to be camping below zero most nights...Enjoy the hunt!

Thanks. Just made it to our hotel in bozeman. Icy weather yesterday halted us in rapid city at about 9pm. Head to the trail head tomorrow at 10am for the 9 mile treck to camp. Wind chill can have it to -30 tomorrow so all the gear will be on. It's 1 degree here now with night time Temps down to -17. It's going to warm back up later this week, but this weather is stellar for getting the heard on the move. We got to see an amazing amount of mule deer and antelope on out drive today. Exhausted but excited. Just threw down a nice rare steak for dinner and a few beers. Off to my room now to sort through some more gear.

I love the back country and the cold temps but damn that's cold :). Out last DIY in Idaho had us sleeping with the water bottles in our sleeping bags because they would freeze solid :). And it was only in the mid teens. Good luck and enjoy the back county, it doesn't get any better than that IMO

Finally made it back home! Hunt details to come later, feeling too lazy to do a write up just yet! More picture to follow later as well.

ELK Down Day 1 by yours truly!
650lbs 6X6
8200'
-15 degrees

Mule deer Down
both in the 230lb range
both 5X5
-5 degrees

Does it have horns?! [mg]

Finally made it back home! Hunt details to come later, feeling too lazy to do a write up just yet! More picture to follow later as well.

ELK Down Day 1 by yours truly!
650lbs 6X6
8200'
-15 degrees

Mule deer Down
both in the 230lb range
both 5X5
-5 degrees

Does it have horns?! [mg]

Awesome! Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom