• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

glocks, anyone shoot reloads in theirs?

Yes always plated or jacketed for me out of the 9mm, 40sw, and 45 glocks. Never an issue.

I do prefer not to load 9mm, so the G17 sees less reloads than the 22 and 21.

IIRC there was some concern about lead bullets fouling the barrel because of the way Glock rifles theirs.

Back in the day guys would use a KKM or Lake City drop in barrel of they were going to shoot unjacketed or soft reloads

I can't say I have seen it as a topic here in quite a while.

I've read that too. The polygonal rifling supposedly collects lead fouling easier and could lead to overpressure in the chamber. But I've yet to read anything suggesting this has been a direct cause of a catastrophic failure. Although, I'm also assuming most who experience catastrophic failures using reloads assumes the reload itself was the issue, not the barrel.

If I weren't an idiot, yes.
But I didn't realize what had actually happened, and there was a second shot fired.
Good news from that is you'll never do that again. With my reloads it's RARE that I get a failure to fire type situation but when that happens I always stop clear the gun and check the bore. I've had 3 squids in my 4 plus years of reloading (not counting the bad batch of 2400 powder that was a nightmare). All of them were no powder in the case. 2 in a revolver 1 in my 1911. All 3 I was able to tap the projo out. I'm cautious beyond belief at the bench now and haven't had a squib in 2 years. I load on a turret......I size/deprime.......prime......then flair.......then remove the shell from the press and drop powder using a powder drop thar is next to my press......then look in the case for powder......place the projo on the case.....then put the shell back into the press to seat and crimp. Haven't had a squib since I started doing it that way.

Gunpowder compounds are pretty sophisticated these days. For example, CFE Pistol has some kind of ingredient that helps with copper fowling. Is there something similar for lead?

I've read that too. The polygonal rifling supposedly collects lead fouling easier and could lead to overpressure in the chamber. But I've yet to read anything suggesting this has been a direct cause of a catastrophic failure. Although, I'm also assuming most who experience catastrophic failures using reloads assumes the reload itself was the issue, not the barrel.

As @Michael J. Spangler indicates if the bullets are sized properly this isnt an issue. IMHO if you make your own lead bullets, Glocks are easy to deal with. Make a test batch, go to the
range, pop a few shots, look for excessive leading, if fail, then make appropriate size adjustments and try again.

I generally hate shooting lead through autos period (because of all the shit/filth it leaves everywhere other than the barrel) but the BS about lead and glocks is mostly BS. Particualrly if you're casting your own bullets.

Theres also another corrolary here anyways, theres no point in shooting lead unless you're casting your own anyways. I mean if you're going to skinflint you gotta go all the way, otherwise why bother? You're not getting max flinting unless you cast your own. if you're still ordering bullets from people, then just buy jacketed or plated bullets instead.

As @Michael J. Spangler indicates if the bullets are sized properly this isnt an issue. IMHO if you make your own lead bullets, Glocks are easy to deal with. Make a test batch, go to the
range, pop a few shots, look for excessive leading, if fail, then make appropriate size adjustments and try again.

I generally hate shooting lead through autos period (because of all the shit/filth it leaves everywhere other than the barrel) but the BS about lead and glocks is mostly BS. Particualrly if you're casting your own bullets.

Theres also another corrolary here anyways, theres no point in shooting lead unless you're casting your own anyways. I mean if you're going to skinflint you gotta go all the way, otherwise why bother? You're not getting max flinting unless you cast your own. if you're still ordering bullets from people, then just buy jacketed or plated bullets instead.

Agreed. Unless you like the smell of bullet lube then you might as well just buy plated or jacketed. The cost is so close nowadays that buying commercial cast that is most likely going to have bad lube and the wrong size teamed up with too hard of an alloy makes zero sense

Back
Top Bottom