Glock vs. S&W

I'd like to get some opinions on these two makes in 9mm.
I'd mostly want to use the gun for sport shooting(local IDPA \ USPSA) in production class and too stash a home defense weapon.
Not set in stone, these are the two guns I'm looking into now:
Glock 17
or
S&W 910

thanks

More accessories around for the Glock, which also has a uniform trigger pull. This compares well to the S&W "crunch-n-ticker" trigger, with its double-action initial pull.

I have a CS 9 for carry; if I was shooting production, I'd probably go with the Glock.

Assuming, of course, that you're "p'ofeshnul enuf to carry da fotay Glock....."

I prefer the feel of Glocks over just about every S&W semi pistol I have tried. But that is my preference. Yours may vary of course.

The S&W has a crap trigger??..hmm Maybe I should get up to Springfield and shoot one. I did shoot a Glock 9mm once(about 20rds), I remember the triggering to be very nice.

The S&W has a crap trigger??..hmm Maybe I should get up to Springfield and shoot one. I did shoot a Glock 9mm once(about 20rds), I remember the triggering to be very nice.

Trigger on the S&W M&P9 is better than the previous Sigma triggers (after a trigger job, of course, to get rid of the 10+ lb trigger pull). Even with the trigger jobs, most dislilked the Sigma triggers. YMMV.

Trigger on the S&W M&P9 is better than the previous Sigma triggers (after a trigger job, of course, to get rid of the 10+ lb trigger pull). Even with the trigger jobs, most dislilked the Sigma triggers. YMMV.

He is in CT, no 10+ trigger. You might want to check out the M&P's, I can't say enough good things about my M&P45.

The linked model is an alloy framed traditional double action pistol, not the polymer frame M&P. That's what Scrivener was referring to trigger-wise, the heavy double action pull followed by the the light single action pull.

ETA: I agree that the M&P is more closely comparable to the Glock. Glock vs M&P has plusses and minuses to both sides. I think they boil down to shoot both and buy the one that fits your hand better, though in MA the availability of pre-ban Glock mags may sway things a bit.

Before work this morning I shot over to a local gun shop just to "look" ..peices fell into place...#1 being that as soon as I had the M&P 9 in my hand I knew it was the gun for me, add to that a price of $499 and a promo starting Fri ($30 MIR or two free mags) The sales guy was very helpful and professional, which was another big plus. I jumped on it. I put $100 down and will p/u on the 15th so I can get the promotion.

Last edited:
Before work this morning I shot over to a local gun shop just to "look" ..peices fell into place...#1 being that as soon as I had the M&P 9 in my hand I knew it was the gun for me, add to that a price of $499 and a promo starting Fri ($30 MIR or two free mags) The sales guy was very helpful and professional, which was another big plus. I jumped on it. I put $100 down and will p/u on the 15th so I can get the promotion.

you've made a wise choice obe-wan

If you end up NOT liking it, put up on the classified (here) or consignment AFTER you get your magazines... they tend to sell year round just like Glocks.

I picked up mine (compact) on a day where the local gun shop sold 10 of them... that's in ONE day. the M&P's are the greatest seller of all time at this gun shop, according to their website. right now, they 4ea., M&P9mm's on the used page... that should tell you something right there.

I've yet to see a compact on the used page for more than a day..

Nice, I have the M&P40 and like it a lot. Call Gregg Derr and get a trigger job!

I picked up mine (compact) on a day where the local gun shop sold 10 of them... that's in ONE day. the M&P's are the greatest seller of all time at this gun shop, according to their website. right now, they 4ea., M&P9mm's on the used page... that should tell you something right there.
He had 4 standard and 2 compact in the store and could not guarantee they'd be still be in stock by Friday and knew for sure they would all be gone by Saturday once the special hit. I secured mine on the spot...
I highly doubt anyone will be seeing this weapon in the classifieds [wink]

I can't stand Glocks myself, but if you're going to shoot IDPA then of the two I would think the Glock is the way to go.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I was pressed for time yesterday(one of those filled to the brim days), I went to a gun club for a .22cal "plate shoot" (what a total blast ) but I managed to squeeze in range time with the M&P on my way down to the shoot.
I got ~80 rounds through and its very impressive, the trigger is smooth through out the travel (no grinding what so ever) with, imo, a perfect engage pressure, its comfortable, light and controlls well. In the short time I had with it, so far I feel it groups well at both 25' and 50', the Novak sights don't hurt either

Back
Top Bottom