Glock and USPSA Production

Is it production legal to put a Caspian G34 slide on a Gen 2 G17 Glock frame? I'm trying not to spend a small fortune on a G34 and was hoping this would work.

Eric

I would have guessed no... but I just checked the rule book and it looks like it is ok:

APPENDIX D4 — Production Division (Contd.)
Special conditions:
21 Authorized modifications
(Strictly limited to these
items and their stated
guidelines)

•After-market slides and barrels – provided they are
the same length, contour, and caliber as original factory
standard.

I can understand going that route considering the stupid money G34s are going for.

Dumb question... is a G34 legal in production with the stock 3.5 lb connector, or do you have to up it to 5+ ?

-Mike

It doesn't look like it. Best thing is to email the NROI and ask them for a clarification.
http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2009_Production_Rules_Revisions.pdf

I'm reading those as if you can use the Caspian slide here:

"SLIDES: Current rules remain in effect –
You may replace the slide with an OEM or
aftermarket slide which is of the same
length, contour and caliber as the original
slide for that model of gun."

I would contact NROI through John Amidon. I've asked him a few questions and he got back to me within hours.

Triggers can be as light as you can get them without showing any external modification.

Steve, the big question is where the word Model is concerned. Eric wants to fit it to a 17, not replace one on a 34. That's why an official word in required. I do seem to remember that installing a 9MM barrel in a Glock 35 is a no go.

I think as long as the combination of frame/slide is as it was originally configured (9mm, .40 etc) it is ok. There is an NROI rulling on the Lone Wolf slide (no go), but not the Caspians. I know some people feel like no modifications should be allowed in production and if I could get a G34 I would, but the MA premium makes me choke.

Came across this....

Ruling from Amidon effective 3/8/05 states "This clause is not meant to prohibit exchanging external parts from one approved model handgun to another approved model handgun. Exchanging external parts from one approved model handgun to another approved model handgun from the same manufacturer is allowed, providing that the parts are original manufacturers parts and offered in their catalogs or on their handguns that otherwise meet division criteria.

I totally understand about the premium prices. Not to mention some models, Glock or otherwise simply are unavailable for the most part. Such as the M&P 9L or Pro.

This question has been asked before on other forums and it is not legal to put a 34 slide on a 17 lower. Sounds stupid I know since the lowers are identical, and no one would ever know, but technically it is not allowed.

Just found this on the NROI page...

5) I have a Glock-17, and I know that the Glock-34 is an approved gun in the same caliber. May I put a Glock-34 barrel into my Glock-17?

ANSWER: NO. Glock has never offered a Glock-17 with that barrel length. Using a Glock-34 barrel would make your gun a “new/unapproved model” which would not be legal for USPSA Production Division.

USPSA is usually well composed but they've really missed the boat on this. If somebody had a Gen 3 frame (or even a Gen 2.5) and put a 34 slide on it how could anyone tell. (I know the OP specified he had a Gen 2). If anybody questioned the serial numbers (which I seriously doubt would ever happen) the response is "I bought it as is". If somebody got nailed on this they would have to be the unluckiest guy/girl in the world or they just beat the world's biggest d#%k trying to take the win on a technicality.

It is actually not worth doing if you are able to buy the G34 new. I priced out the top end and it would be around $450 -$500. Oh well, I'll just use the 17 until I move out of Taxachusetts.

5) I have a Glock-17, and I know that the Glock-34 is an approved gun in the same caliber. May I put a Glock-34 barrel into my Glock-17?

ANSWER: NO. Glock has never offered a Glock-17 with that barrel length. Using a Glock-34 barrel would make your gun a “new/unapproved model” which would not be legal for USPSA Production Division.

Aren't you able to use barsto, kkm, and lonewolf barrels in production though? So why wouldn't you be able to cut a G34 barrel to fit a G17?

Not being allowed to replace the top end does make sense, though good luck to anyone in checking every gun to make sure the bottom/top match.

It's so funny just how tough the rules seem to be with Glocks, but it's simply because it's the most popular production gun out there. [thinking]

It is actually not worth doing if you are able to buy the G34 new. I priced out the top end and it would be around $450 -$500. Oh well, I'll just use the 17 until I move out of Taxachusetts.

That is possible. If you are dead set on a 34, I still think it could be worth doing. For instance, if you already have a great trigger in your 17 lower to use, or if you assume that in buying a 34 you would buy aftermarket sights and barrel right off the bat. In that case, it would be buying a slide and a barrel vs buying a whole 34, sights, a barrel, and trigger work.

That's concerning a barrel, which, I believe would extend beyond the G17 slide. Does that also include the entire 34 top end, particularly aftermarket parts.
I'm sorry, I'm not up on all the finer points of Glocks.

I would have guessed no... but I just checked the rule book and it looks like it is ok:

APPENDIX D4 — Production Division (Contd.)
Special conditions:
21 Authorized modifications
(Strictly limited to these
items and their stated
guidelines)

•After-market slides and barrels – provided they are
the same length, contour, and caliber as original factory
standard.

I can understand going that route considering the stupid money G34s are going for.

Even at "stupid money" prices for a G34 it must be cheaper than the cost of a G17 plus new slide & barrel. Before I went that route I would just shoot the G17 and spend the extra money on practice ammo.

Or, spend the money on tricking out the G17 like the one GaminGoddess shoots. That looks very cool.

BTW GaminGoddess, sorry I didn't hang around long enough to check out your G17 Sunday. You looked deeply involved at the chrono and I didn't want to interrupt you just to check out your gun. I'll catch up with you at another match as I want to feel the stippling you have on your grip.

-Cuz.

Last edited:
It's crazy just how high Glock prices go in MA. I always wanted a G27 or G26 and remember seeing one last year when I was in NM for $350...remember thinking, "ahhh I can get it cheaper." Boy did I pass a good opportunity...

I say just go for a G34..don't bother converting anything. Isn't 2 guns better than 1 anyway? [smile]

Cuz, just meet up with me in any of the future matches and I'll show you the grip, sorry I missed you at the chrono, I was too engrossed in hoping that I made my major and minor PFs!

The G17 and G34 are virtually equal in this sport IMO. I use the G34 because I just started with that. My back up for major matches is a G17 with the same exact set up. The G34 offers longer sight radius but the G17 is noticably more agile out of the holster, etc. Weights are almost the same as well.

I made the mistake of adding a G35 (Caspian) slide to my 22, intending to use it in Production. The nice man at Caspian even said it was legal. Further research indicates after market slides are a no no in Production. I guess I will have to shoot the gun in Limited.

Is that an open G17. Do you shoot major out of it?

Yup, it's an open G17 from SJC customs. I see a lot of DIY open glocks that perform very well in 9mm/40 S&W too. This one does make major. My lowest PF at the chrono Sunday was 167 and my average PF was 170-172 PF. Obviously since it is a glock, the recoil is greater than the other open guns, but unless I win the lottery I don't see myself getting a non-glock open gun anytime soon. [grin]

Yup, it's an open G17 from SJC customs. I see a lot of DIY open glocks that perform very well in 9mm/40 S&W too. This one does make major. My lowest PF at the chrono Sunday was 167 and my average PF was 170-172 PF. Obviously since it is a glock, the recoil is greater than the other open guns, but unless I win the lottery I don't see myself getting a non-glock open gun anytime soon. [grin]

Gamingoddess,
Are you loading your own ammo for that G17? I'd be curious to know your load info.

-Cuz.

Lugnut hit the nail on the head with one caveat: I think the increased sight radius of the 34 is more important than the decreased draw time of the 17 in USPSA. If we were talking IDPA - Lugnut would've said it all but USPSA's got those occasional 50 yd targets and more than occasionally 25 yd targets. Nothing beats sight radius on those targets.

That's why I was looking into getting the top end, but it looks like it's a bust. New Bedford was my 5th match (2nd shooting production), so maybe I'll just see how it goes with the 17.

7.2 grn WSF
121 IFP Montana Gold
Federal Primers
What ever brass I can find...

Got the load from BE site and it has been working fine for me.

Diana

Are you running that year round? I would imagine those are a little stout in the winter time????

From my experience WSF is very temperature sensetive. Right now i am running 6.8 grn of WSF in the winter and 7.1 grn in the summer topped with a 124 zero JHP. This makes major in both climates and comes right from SJC. I had a buddy who learned this the hard way. Was making major with some to spare in cool Maine with 6.8 grn and then shot a match in SC in 90 degree heat and came in under PF.

Edit: my receipe is with Federal Rifle Primers so that may be where we differ.

Back
Top Bottom