Glock 34 still SSP for IDPA?

So I finally broke down and picked up a G34 for IDPA but can anyone confirn that it is still SSP and I don't have to jump up to ESP?

I looked through the rule book and see that the extended slide and mag release are ok since they are from the factory and specifically mentioned for the G34.

So I finally broke down and picked up a G34 for IDPA but can anyone confirn that it is still SSP and I don't have to jump up to ESP?

I looked through the rule book and see that the extended slide and mag release are ok since they are from the factory and specifically mentioned for the G34.

You're good to go. I use a G34 all the time for SSP.

Yup. Same here. G34 in SSP

I think you can still use those (ext mag release and slide lock) on a 17 etc because they can come from Glock that way. They are not after market parts.

Yup. Same here. G34 in SSP

I think you can still use those (ext mag release and slide lock) on a 17 etc because they can come from Glock that way. They are not after market parts.

Negative. Glock does not ship them out like that, it would not be "factory stock".

I'd have to double check. But I though that as long as it cod be ordered from the manufacturer that way, it was ok.

Think my modded 17 could pass for SSP? :)

[video=youtube_share;NaJ6IX_Ej1c]http://youtu.be/NaJ6IX_Ej1c[/video]

The extended slide release is legal on any Glock model for SSP. I prefer the flat one anyway, because when I grip the gun with the extended release, it won't lock back on the last shot. It is just as easy to use the flat release.

Winter, go check the rulebook under Permitted Modifications (Inclusive List), Page 20.

"The slide releases and magazine releases that are standard on the Glock 34 and 35 models are available as a factory option on all Glocks available in the USA. Because of this, that type of slide release and magazine release are legal on all Glocks for SSP"

Winter, go check the rulebook under Permitted Modifications (Inclusive List), Page 20.

"The slide releases and magazine releases that are standard on the Glock 34 and 35 models are available as a factory option on all Glocks available in the USA. Because of this, that type of slide release and magazine release are legal on all Glocks for SSP"

They are standard on the 34/35 but do not come from the factory on any standard model.. Damn libs messing everything up.

They are standard on the 34/35 but do not come from the factory on any standard model.. Damn libs messing everything up.

Can you not read or something? You can order them as a factory option, therefore they count as factory, as stated in the rulebook section quoted in your post. This has nothing to do with politics.

Can you not read or something? You can order them as a factory option, therefore they count as factory, as stated in the rulebook section quoted in your post. This has nothing to do with politics.

I took it as a interesting comment on the state of funding for education, contrasting the financial cost of widespread public education with the social cost of skimping on the same.

Where can you order it as a factory option and when did they start doing this? I talked to Glock GA around 2009/2010 and at that time they stated that was not possible.

Where can you order it as a factory option and when did they start doing this? I talked to Glock GA around 2009/2010 and at that time they stated that was not possible.

As stated the Glock 34/35 come with the extended controls standard from the factory. Because they come standard on the Glock 34/35 from the factory, according to IDPA rules you are allowed to purchase the extended controls and add them to any Glock that does not have it standard from the factory and still have it remain in SSP.

EDIT: From what I have seen, you cannot order any Glock except for the 34/35 from the factory with the extended controls. What most people end up doing is buying these parts after the fact and installing it themselves.

Last edited:

Negative. Glock does not ship them out like that, it would not be "factory stock".

The extended slide and mag release are without a question ok for SSP on the G17 and G34. This has long been decided by IDPA.

What you do need to be careful of is the recoil spring rod. If you have a metal guide rod in the gun, then that definitely bumps you out of SSP and into ESP.

So if I could ask a question please...I currently have the G19 and like it, but you know how it is and the grass always seems greener on the oher side. I have read so much about the G34 and how good they are for competition and target shooting that I really want to get one. Has anyone here had the opportunity to shoot both the G19 & G34 and if so could you give me your thoughts please?

So if I could ask a question please...I currently have the G19 and like it, but you know how it is and the grass always seems greener on the oher side. I have read so much about the G34 and how good they are for competition and target shooting that I really want to get one. Has anyone here had the opportunity to shoot both the G19 & G34 and if so could you give me your thoughts please?

I own both. I first got the 34 for competition and love it. I decided to ditch the (carry gun) SR9c for a G19 so I could have commonality between platforms. I have a tougher time clearing the plate rack with my G19, but it is still a good shooter. My 34 has a much lighter trigger so it does make it easier to shoot.

If you shoot IDPA, USPSA, or Steel Challenge, a G34 is a good choice.

I realize this now. It is just a little bs and gaming it up, like OWB 3 o'clock holsters.

The extended slide and mag release are without a question ok for SSP on the G17 and G34. This has long been decided by IDPA.

I don't shoot glocks, but I can compare my M&P experience. I've carried an M&P 9c for years and shoot a M&P9 Pro (5") for IDPA/USPSA. Going from the 3.5" compact to the 4.25" full size I borrowed for a few matches felt like switching to easy mode. Going from the 4.25" to the 5" pro was a bit easier to shoot accurately at speed, but not nearly as big a difference.

If you go out and shoot a few matches with your G19, someone would probably be happy to let you try out their 34 for comparison.

Thanks guys for all your input I appreciate your opinions.

It is a good excuse to get another gun...especially one that you can 'dedicate' to competitive shooting while leaving a G19 that you could carry relatively untouched.

I have a G34 and a G19.
For me the difference (after modding the G34) is really sight radius due to longer slide and barrel.

Back
Top Bottom