• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 30S vs 30SF

my advice is to wait a bit until gen5 will be out. gen5 ergonomics are much better and closer to SF without backstrips. it handles much better than gen4.

Unless the grooves bother him and he needs an ambi release Gen5 is not even worth fussing over, frankly.

ETA: and I say that as someone who, as of right now, has 5 Gen5 pistols and likes them, but if they didnt exist I would have had Gen4s in that role, easily....

Let's just say, if all goes according to plan I'll post a range review tomorrow.

Unless the grooves bother him and he needs an ambi release Gen5 is not even worth fussing over, frankly.

ETA: and I say that as someone who, as of right now, has 5 Gen5 pistols and likes them, but if they didnt exist I would have had Gen4s in that role, easily....
I never liked grooves. Dunno, Gen5 just clicked with me.

They both shoot well, but I have a fondness for the regular Gen4 30SF Fathead model. The only reason the 30S even exists is a bunch of hipsters started asking for it
because they were taking G36 uppers and dropping them on G30 frames and going "Y DOESNT GLOCK DOO DIS?" etc. So they responded by "actually doing it" in production.

I am a big fathead guy, but if that extra ounce or whatever it is and the extra bit of CHONK bothers you, then definitely get a 30S instead.

I do think the fathead has better reliability, because usually taking recoiling mass away from an existing design isn't going to improve your operational window.
Maybe it’s a millennial thing where 1/32” delta in the slide and .001 oz makes a huge difference in those skinny jeans?
if it was cheap enough I’d just drop a standard 30 slide on it.. the gap between the upper and the lower (as far as the width) just kind of pisses me off..

I’ve got a gen4 30 that Ive carried about 80% of the time for the past 5ish years. I really like it but can only carry it AIWB, I’ve tried on my side IWB but it puts to much pressure on my hips and makes my back hurt...

I may have that issue with anything of this width as it’s the fattest pistol I own but I’m the most accurate with it, I’ve put thousands of rounds through it and just like the way it handles.

Alright, got to shoot a 30SF today - it's awesome. Basically the same size as my 19 except a) it's thicker, and b) the grip itself is shorter but the 10-round mag sticks out enough to make room for your pinkie and make the overall height about the same between the two guns, although I did feel that grip/mag gap on the 30 to some degree.

The 30 shoots softer than my 21 somehow; I'm guessing the different recoil spring design has a lot to do with that. There's more felt recoil than the 19 has but it's far from a night-and-day difference, the 30SF is perfectly capable of fast follow-up shots. In fact, my split times were only a hair faster with the 19 (under a tenth of a second).

Weight is somewhere between the 19 and the 21, obviously, so I wouldn't expect to hate the weight when carrying. All the other stuff is typical Glock (again, obviously). It would be interesting to try a 30S too but so far I think the SF is great.

my advice is to wait a bit until gen5 will be out. gen5 ergonomics are much better and closer to SF without backstrips. it handles much better than gen4.
Two years later and gen5 is still only for 9mm and .40 guns :(

If you did not try p365 - try it, it may be what you actually want. Not the XL, a small original one.
Lol anyone talking about buying a G30 does not want a P365 anything, period end full stop..... [rofl] those are guns you dont cross shop for the same
role, not now, not ever, not 10 years from now. It's like telling someone to look at an O/U instead when they asked about semiautomatic shotguns.
Came across this old thread looking for something else and found this bit of the discussion amusing. I now carry both - P365 and G30SF. They're very different guns for totally different purposes. The P365 makes a great pocket carry gun and it shoots well for its size but there's not much grip room. The G30SF absolutely dwarfs the Sig - it's significantly larger and heavier but great to shoot. I really like both of them a lot, all comes down to how I'm carrying on any given day.

Two years later and gen5 is still only for 9mm and .40 guns :(

Came across this old thread looking for something else and found this bit of the discussion amusing. I now carry both - P365 and G30SF. They're very different guns for totally different purposes. The P365 makes a great pocket carry gun and it shoots well for its size but there's not much grip room. The G30SF absolutely dwarfs the Sig - it's significantly larger and heavier but great to shoot. I really like both of them a lot, all comes down to how I'm carrying on any given day.
i have now, 4 or 5 probably, glocks left, 2 gen 5 and 2 gen 3, but none in the small form factor anymore. all are g17 sized.

i do not know why and cannot explain, but when i get p365 to 25yds line with those metal plates - i hit plates incredibly consistently. i have way less consistence even with g34 there.
only cz shadows i have shoot better.

yet when i gave it to my son to try - he could not handle p365 well at all, and could not hit plates well at all at 15yds, compared to g17. so i guess it differs from person to person.

ps. with that said - i was never able to hit steel plates at 100yds with p365, which i can do with both g34 and shadows. go figure.

also, if anybody actually looked into details - the G17 and G20 gen 5 actual frames are different, right?

the 34 has a better trigger. I have a gen 3 34 and it's trigger is way better.

The 17L is obnoxious therefor it wins though.
34 has a same exact frame from the stock 17 and stock trigger assembly there is also same. so, it 'should' not differ also between 17L and 34 - but i never had an original gen3 34.
other than a minus connector, i think, the stock 34 was supposed to come with.

mine is gen5 and tricked out now, i lost count of what went into it and went out...
i think it is actually now almost back to stock, with a glock made minus connector and some flat trigger rail, but, not sure. i did not like how it grouped at 25yds for me last time i used it, so, may look more into it some time later. kinda lost interest to keep pimping it out for now...

34 has a same exact frame from the stock 17 and stock trigger assembly there is also same. so, it 'should' not differ also between 17L and 34 - but i never had an original gen3 34.
mine is gen5 and tricked out now, i lost count of what went into it and went out...
i think it is actually now almost back to stock, with a minus connector and some flat trigger rail, but, not sure. i did not like how it grouped at 25yds for me last time i used it, so, may look more into it some time later. kinda lost interest to keep pimping it out for now...
The frame is the same but the trigger in the 34 is the "34 version" or whatever the hell its called. You can buy it, nothing special. It's just a 3.5lbs trigger thats less shitty than the stock glock trigger, which I'm pretty sure the 17L has.

The frame is the same but the trigger in the 34 is the "34 version" or whatever the hell its called. You can buy it, nothing special. It's just a 3.5lbs trigger thats less shitty than the stock glock trigger, which I'm pretty sure the 17L has.
glock trigger group is always same, only connectors differ.

from same glock forum, old stuff:
Left to right, OEM 3.5lb, 2 Scherers 3.5lb , OEM 3.5lb, LoneWolf, OEM 5.5 lb

image37153.jpg

glock trigger group is always same, only connectors differ.

from same glock forum, old stuff:
Left to right, OEM 3.5lb, 2 Scherers 3.5lb , OEM 3.5lb, LoneWolf, OEM 5.5 lb

image37153.jpg
yeah thats it. The 34 has the 3.5lbs. I don't know whats changed since 2010, but I think at that time and prior only the 34 and 35 had that trigger weight.

Lol its just a 3.5 minus connector the same one i have in nearly every one of my glocks.

The real peak pull yield is never less than 4.5-5 lbs even with that connector.

Man, I do want a 17L for the lols...
That's the only reason I have it. I was messaging drgrant about it for a while and one day out of the blue he texts me "It's in stock in xyz!" and I drove straight there to buy it. [rofl]

I did classes with it at Sig in Exeter I love that thing so obnoxious.

That's the only reason I have it. I was messaging drgrant about it for a while and one day out of the blue he texts me "It's in stock in xyz!" and I drove straight there to buy it. [rofl]

I did classes with it at Sig in Exeter I love that thing so obnoxious.
Yes! @drgrant text me if you come across another one. It's pretty much my ultimate "for teh lolz" pistol.

Back
Top Bottom