Glock 23 Reloads

I just purchased 1000 rounds of .40cal for my G23 without remembering that a friend mentioned you cant shoot reloads out of a stock Glock barrel due to misshaping of the cartridge that occurs after firing. Now, with some researching, I am worried about KB's with my G23 and am wondering if anyone has had personal experience with shooting factory reloads or, possibly, with this exact ammunition because the site I ordered from doesn't allow for returns. I'm aware that an after market barrel works and is recommended, but as of right now I don't own one and really don't intend on purchasing one anytime soon.

Ammo I purchased - http://www.luckygunner.com/m-b-i-40-s-w-ammo-for-sale-40sw180fmjmbi-1000

Thanks!

You should not shoot lead projectiles through a factory Glock barrel because of the style of rifling the barrel uses. It is prone to a lot of leading ultimately leading to a constricted barrel and extreme pressures issues. I shoot reloaded jacketed rounds in my Glocks all the time without issue. As for brass sizing, I have had issues with ''Glocked'' brass but only in 9mm and that can easily be corrected with a good resizing die.

Curtis

It's the octagonal rifling that Glock and HK use: apparently it's more prone to barrel leading with lead bullets. FMJ and HP bullets are fine, just avoid lead and you be all set.

Glock chambers are sometimes problematic when the cases bulge near the rim from the chamber being unsupported relative to the chambers of other guns or Glock aftermarket barrels made by KKM or LWD. Google image search Glock bulge, which is common in 40 and 10mm. Is shooting reloads an issue? Not specifically,but the issue is sometimes in reloading brass shot through Glock barrels. Some people shoot hot loaded ammo with no issue and some shoot factory medium loads and see the bulge. Each gun and its setup is different. Before you reuse your brass, inspect it. If it is slightly bulged you can use a pass through die or something like it. If it is badly bulged reusing this brass could be KBoomy.

Regarding lead, can you shoot lead in Glock barrels? Yes, but this comes with a different routine, and has varying levels of forgiveness before you have excessive leading and the issues associated with it. Proceed with caution and at your own risk, although most will say just avoid it.

I don't plan on shooting lead anytime soon either so that's good news considering they're FMJs. I'll definitely still be a little skeptical when it comes to shooting these, but thanks for the help!

I just purchased 1000 rounds of .40cal for my G23 without remembering that a friend mentioned you cant shoot reloads out of a stock Glock barrel due to misshaping of the cartridge that occurs after firing.

You can shoot reloads just fine out of a Glock, just be aware that with the stock barrel in .40 it is going to bulge the shit out of the brass. All Glocks bulge brass but its worst in the .40s.

So the only real issue is whether or not you are gonna re-use the brass... I know with a U-die you can get rid of the bulge, but I'm not sure how many reloads you can get out of Glocked 40 brass this way. .40 brass is so commonplace though you can reload it once or twice and throw it away after that.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

It's the octagonal rifling that Glock and HK use: apparently it's more prone to barrel leading with lead bullets. FMJ and HP bullets are fine, just avoid lead and you be all set.

A complete myth and non problem if you make your lead bullets correctly and monitor leading. I know someone who shoots only lead 155s out of his Glock 22 2nd gen, and if the lead was an issue he would have blown himself up by now. [laugh]

-Mike

You can buy a Lone Wolf replacement barrel for around $99 brand new. This has traditional rifling and allows you to shoot lead, jacketed, plated etc... Just google lone wolf and pick a vendor. I use one in my Glock 22

Back
Top Bottom