Ghost town

I have been out almost every morning of the season and for the most part in a new spot everyday in the norton,MA area. I have seen tons of scrapes and rubs and a few deer the first couple days but now nothing. With all the acorns this year i knew they wouldn't need to go far for food but by now I have usually had atleast a few possible shot oppurtunities. I tried alittle grunting and I hit my doe bleet can a few times but not to agressive and have yet to get a response saturday will probly be my first time out with a scent drag and really trying to call them in with the bleet, but is anyone else having a slower than normal start?

I hadn't seen a thing until yesterday. It went like it usually does when you aren't expecting them. I got home from work early but decided not to sit. It was far to hot as far as I was concerned and I figured I would be sweating by the time I walked in and didn't think it would be worth it. So I decided I was going to go out and fix a stand not too far behind my barn in my back yard. I grabed the .22 and figured I would do some squirrel and chipmunk eradication if I got the opportunity. Well I get on the ATV (you have to walk about 400 yards through a field and I didn't want to get covered in ticks) and drive right to the bottom of the ladder. I did the work necessary and decide to get up in the stand for a few to shoot some of the multiple furry things running around in a stone wall. So I shoot one sit for 15 mins hear a twig snap turn around and there is 2 decent does standing there 35 or so yards away looking at me. I was pissed I waved they ran and that was that. I was sweating wearing jeans a white t-shirt and some not so great smelling work boots. I don't get these damn animals even after 15 or so years of hunting you prepare and go as scent proof as possible as camo as possible and you don't see crap but when you aren't in camo and stink from work you do.

The heat this week isn't helping. Not to mention the trickle rut. I've got some semi-ok spots but there's one about 7 yards from a bedding area. Most of the time they're moving until about 9:30 AM. But yesterday they quit at 8 because of the heat. The rut won't come into full force until the end of bow season. Be patient.

I was sweating wearing jeans a white t-shirt and some not so great smelling work boots. I don't get these damn animals even after 15 or so years of hunting you prepare and go as scent proof as possible as camo as possible and you don't see crap but when you aren't in camo and stink from work you do.

Was in my climber this am and friend of a friend texted me and said he just nailed a 4 pointer. Big F'n deal (I was thinking), but this yahoo was wearing jeans (dirty, I'm sure) butt hanging off his lip, wife beater tank to boot. Real classy fella. Talk about chit luck or just good wind. I take good care of my gear and don't cheap out on nothing. Its been a tough couple week thus far with all the scent dragging, doe piss, calling, moving from stand to stand in several areas. Tell you what, the first deer I tag this year will be well earned.

IMO its too early for scent drags and bleat cans. I think you'll be imitating an estrous doe when there aren't any does in estrous. They aren't hot yet.
Right now, again IMO, you'll be better off with a grunt and maybe some antler rattling.

IMO its too early for scent drags and bleat cans. I think you'll be imitating an estrous doe when there aren't any does in estrous. They aren't hot yet.
Right now, again IMO, you'll be better off with a grunt and maybe some antler rattling.

I would disagree with that. Chasing has been pretty widely reported for the last week on numerous local forums. A guy I know from from another forum shot a monster 211 lb 11 point tending a doe yesterday in Worcester county.

I put a little estrous doe scent out monday in a spot and came back wednesday and there was a big scrape right where I put the scent. Most will come into heat around 10 days after the full moon in late Oct or early Nov. Some come into heat a bit early and some a bit later. Some wont even hit estrus till after the late Nov full moon. Full moon was on the 23rd or so.

There are most certainly some does out there right now ready to breed. IMHO that is the best time, when the bucks are seeking and there are not enough receptive does to go around. Makes them more aggressive.

I went out today because I had no work and started off in the spot I thought would be the best for first light sitting and was of course wrong haha. But after that I decided I would take the morning till about 10 am to spot and stalk pretty much all of my other spots I hit(they are really mossy swampy areas but open for a good bow shot and you make almost no noise moving). As I finished up at my final spot for the morning I got out of the woods and started heading back on the railroad tracks I go in on, and of course about 75 yards from where I came out there is a doe 15 yrds in the woods and she bolts but doesn't go far. I got ready and snuck into the woods, I never found here she must have wondered off into the swamp I was just in so I couldn't hear her move either but the scrape that was right where she took off from stunk real bad. I was planning on hitting one of my stands there tommorow morning so hopfully with her scent in the area that will drag them all into the area for tommorow.

I watched a seven pointer chasing three does last night. The does seemed annoyed and didnt want anything to do with him. He was nuzzling up to their sides, softly grunting but then the doe he was wooing would dash a few yards away from him. Trying his best pillow talk. Poor thing wasnt getting him any action.
Im with Arlow. Now is the time to use the doe scents. The bucks are horned up and looking for receptive does. This is also the time of year when a little rattling wouldnt hurt either.

I am going to go in about 12:30-1:00 tomorrow and sit till dark. I will give it a little but to settle down set out some scent and do some calling/ rattling.

There is a herd stopping to destroy my yard every couple days. There is a set of triplets this year too, unless does babysit. If I had 500' of clearance I'd let someone have at it. I don't know a damn thing about hunting.

Its pretty cool when you get to see the mom and 3 babies. They really are cute when they are small with the spots (and tender[pot]). They just end up being so small come winter compared to either single births or even twins a lot don't make it through the winter. They end up being easy pray for the yotes.

There is a herd stopping to destroy my yard every couple days. There is a set of triplets this year too, unless does babysit. If I had 500' of clearance I'd let someone have at it. I don't know a damn thing about hunting.

The owner/occupant of the building can authorize hunting closer that the 500' and an elevated stand gives the archer great control over where the arrow goes.

Bob

Got a nice fat button buck this morning. He went about 40 yards into some thick stuff after the shot.
Let him go and gave him an hour instead of pushing him.
Went home , had some breakfast and when I went back there were a couple of crows in a tree not to far from where he ran into the swamp.
They showed me right where he was.
I have six antlerless deer tags in my pocket. May as well use them and those fat butterball button bucks sure are tasty.

Congrats! I went out tonight saw 2 does and jumped a spike or 4 pointer on the way out. I wish the damn wind would stop blowing. Seems like every time I can go out its windy and I can't hear a think.

Took a 128 pound fork horn at 7am saturday morning. Now lets see if I can fill a unit m doe tag...

Back
Top Bottom