Getting Steamrolled... Public hearings on MA license cost increases...

I'm currently participating in the public hearing, and we regular folks are getting steamrolled by special interests... "I'm with so and so league of rich sportsmen who hunt out of state"... and we're cool with the fee increases... There was 1 other regular Joe here who isn't with a special interest group reading a prepared statement. We're getting steamrolled here... Get ready for those fee increases...

It’s inevitable. Fees haven’t gone up in a long long time. The hearings are dog and pony.
This.

It's going to happen.

I'm not opposed to the prices that are proposed......I'd just like to see non hunters that use the land that hunters bought pay their fair share. They should have to buy a permit to hike and bike on that land.

Take a look at the current board members of the DFW. When I first looked them up, I thought I might've inadvertently ended up on the page for the DCR or DEP. And these "solicit feedback from community" exercises are just bullet points on their outline for what they're going to do.

Mass Div. of Fakers and Wankers don't care about those that support them, so long as they keep getting paid. I gave up on that those a**h***s long ago. They have no balls to do what is right. Back when we lost trapping in that dump. Fakers and Wankers ABDICATED their authority to manage the new law that was passed by referendum, by having legislation passed to turn over the complaints and permitting process to the local Boards of Health.

Safari Club International, Trout (catch and release) Unlimited, B.A.S.S. (another catch and release organization)

we have another thread going about not clicking on anti 2a links, because it drives traffic since NES is 55k strong. If we are that strong, then may be fraction of those people can get onto those fudds and point the finger.

I think it's complete and total BS. They claim the reason that they're going broke is because the hunting population is aging and fewer people are buying licenses since 1998. I thought to myself really. You know what else changed in 1998, the gun laws in this communist s*******. And that resulted in fewer and fewer and fewer people being able to obtain their LTC. People who can't own guns aren't going to hunt, and that means they're not going to buy a hunting license. Now did Mass wildlife study the correlation between the reduction and licensed gun owners compared to the reduction in sold hunting licenses? No they never even mentioned it. It's like such a correlation doesn't exist in theor minds.

Sure some segment of the hunting population is aging and not buying licenses anymore. But let's not ignore the 800-lb gorilla in the room, that the drastic reduction in firearm license holders in this state as a consequence of the law passed in 1998 is having a direct impact in relationship on the number of hunting licenses sold. If the state wants to maintain the 1998 law that denies so many people their LTC because of "discretion" or a misdoFelony, then funding for Mass wildlife needs to come from the general fund. The few of us who are left who are able to obtain an LTC, and hunt shouldn't have to bear the burden for the states ill-advised gun regulations that are resulting in fewer gun owners and fewer hunters. That's a financial burden they've placed upon themselves, and it shouldn't become ours to bear.

So they want to double the fees because hunters/Trappers etc have fallen off by over 50% and people over 70 get free licenses? Another reason I gave up hunting fishing and trapping in Mass years ago. They will just force more people out of the sport just like towns are doing with ridiculous rules around hunting.

Senator Jacques' asinine kick hunters in the teeth restrictions on open carry of rifles and shotguns across roadways sure didn't help.

The same people complaining about deer ticks and deer overpopulation don't want to take responsibility for their policies having unintended consequences.

This.

It's going to happen.

I'm not opposed to the prices that are proposed......I'd just like to see non hunters that use the land that hunters bought pay their fair share. They should have to buy a permit to hike and bike on that land.
Nd stay out of that land during hunting season !!

This.

It's going to happen.

Steve Rinella often talks about this. Currently, they have a very limited seat at the table. It isn't just our hunting and fishing licenses. It's Huge Dingus and Spitman Robbing Sons money as well. (Pittman/Robertson - Dingell/Johnson - PRDJ). Every piece of fishing tackle and every bullet and every gun and targets and such - a tax goes to Uncle to distribute to states.

We, as sportsmen, fund 100% of the conservation effort. As such, we buy a bigger seat at the table. It's a tough call to say, "let's tax mountain bikes and tents and Mountain House and such" because our seat will become smaller.

Although for mASS, I think our seat is at the Children's Table already. Yellow Fisher/Price table at that.

I made the argument again tonight... I was the only speaker in opposition to the fee increase... This is a temporary solution to a permanent problem.. A band-aid on a gunshot wound... The reason the number of hunters is declining is because the number of legal gun owners is declining.... That because of the BS 1998 law and the subsequent "discretion", misdaFelony, and arbitrary and capricious denial of 2nd amendment rights based solely on the town one lives and the anti-gun police chiefs running the departments.

They can raise the cost of licenses and tags... and they'll be right back here begging for more money in another 5 years... If this state wants to commit itself to reducing law-abiding gun owners then the state needs to bear the financial consequences for that bad policy. The few of us who are left shouldn't be further punished.

I also spoke about how I think they're doing a lousy job maintaining their properties. The trails on WMAs are overgrown to the point you need a bulldozer to reestablish them. Parking lots are overgrown and unmaintained. There has been no meaningful - absolutely nothing - in habitat improvement and general forest management. No prescribed burns. No clear cuts. No selective timber operations. The watering holes they dug out decades ago have all eroded and caved in. The no motor vehicle law is routinely violated by dirt bikes and quads... There's zero enforcement. The treestand laws (not in woods > 30 days, no puncturing trees) are routinely ignored and unenforced. You'll see several permanent sets just walking a trail on a WMA... assuming the trail is even passable. You may be better off walking through the understory in the woods. There's litter everywhere. One of the WMAs I hunt has an abandoned police car on it, and it's been there for at least a decade... WTF is that? I have the GPS coordinates...

I get that they run programs that people want to keep... Hunter education, land navigation, archery courses, fishing courses... Here's an idea... How about you charge for some of that stuff!!! It doesn't have to be much... but 10 bucks per head to take a course is 10 bucks... It adds up...

But none of this gets at the crux of the issue, which they are ignoring.... As long as this state remains hostile to gun owners, it will, year by year, have few gun owners and that will mean fewer hunters and you can only charge so much before people just don't buy the license here and/or hunt out of state...

Last edited:
The number of hunters is declining in this state for a lot more reasons than gun ownership. Although that is a large part, the demographics of older hunters dying off, aging out and new replacement hunters not taking up the sport is another reason. I mean take a good look at your sportsmans club.......then weed out the guys that actually hunt. Most of the time you are left with a bunch of Qtips that are on the verge of aging out, and a few Gen Xers in the bunch.

And there are various and sundry reasons why new generations are not taking up hunting. But Ill leave it at society is very different than it was before.

Other factors are the plain difficulty of starting out if you didn't grow up in a hunting family.

More factors are that Conservative type people are trying to get out of this state in droves......taking the younger generation with them.

Also the terrible management of deer in our state (very low populations central and west where most hunting can happen), is a huge reason older hunters, and new serious hunters don't bother to hunt this state. They would rather go to PA, NY, CT, etc, etc..... for more deer population. Ill go out on a limb and say most of the hunters are Boomer or Gen X now, before those generations would stay and hunt here because of raising families and cost of travel. Now those populations are at their highest earning years, or hitting retirement where they have time and money. You think they are gonna spend their time and money hunting MA, think again. I'm a gen Xer that can afford to go where I want. Certainly if I'm planning a hunt for deer it's NOT gonna be in MA.

The poor management of our WMA's and state facilities as well. I know money is not being put into these things. Go out of state and look at what other states have for hunters, public gun ranges and management of WMA's. Other states actually use the money they are provided, in MA, NFW they do. If they use it, its for paving bike paths or some other bullshit. They probably get away with spending PR money saying they are opening up access or some other horseshit.

As far as the specialty hunters like Duck and Pheasant......again seeing a big fall off in those. Before pheasant fields were full of Boomers, now their either too old, dogs have died off, or have given up. The guys that I see out there are all older than me and I believe we really will see a big fall off in the coming years.

I think the state knows this, is looking at the demographics of all this and realizes they are going to need a lot more income to replace what they are going to lose.

This whole public hearing is a joke. The fee increases are going to happen, the shitty management with stay the same as it always has, and nothing will change except the rail trails and biking paths will continue to be paved with gold with our License fee's, ATV, and Snowmobile fees.

To pay or not to pay is the ONLY choice you will get.

I won't be paying for this one. Just another reason to deer hunt out of state, and pheasant hunt at private clubs and addieville.

Back
Top Bottom