Getting cosmoline out of leather

Garys

NES Member
I just bought an Enfield bayonet that came in a leather scabbard. The scabbard is covered in cosmoline. I can clean the metal parts pretty easily, but are there any tricks for cleaning it out of the leather and restoring the leather?

Gary

All I can say is what's worked for me:

1. Scrape off as much excess as possible
2. Try cleaning with a rag and Simple Green
3. Soak in very hot water
4. Take out and allow to dry completely
5. Rub in some Pecard's Leather Treatment for antique leather.

About a fourth of the thirty (+) bayonets I have had leather scabbards, and only a few of these were really filthy. But the above worked on those.

Good Luck!

Your wife's hair dryer.
It will draw the cosmolene out of the leather and allow you to wipe it away. When you've got enough out, wipe it down with some leather cleaner and I also use Pecard's Antique leather dressing. That stuff is great!
I'd be careful with water since it can rot leather if its already brittle or weak in spots. Don't ask me how I know but I have a Turk Mauser bayonet frog that I tried cleaning with hot water and once it dried it tore.
Some cosmolene left in there won't hurt it, it will actually keep it soft especially when treated with Pecard's.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, guys. A semi related question. I have a used K31 leather sling. No cosmoline, but I'd like to treat it. I take it Pecard's will work on that too.

BTW, the sling and bayonet are all your fault Ray. Not to mention the K31 muzzle cover. :)

Thanks for the information, guys. A semi related question. I have a used K31 leather sling. No cosmoline, but I'd like to treat it. I take it Pecard's will work on that too.

BTW, the sling and bayonet are all your fault Ray. Not to mention the K31 muzzle cover. :)

I figured, thats why I let you know how I cleaned mine.[smile]

Funny you mention the K31 sling too because I just cleaned 2 last night. I started out by laying them flat and using Kiwi Saddle Soap. I then lathered up a rag and scrubed them down using a circular scrubbing motion, then did the same motion twice with a rag lightly wet with warm water to remove the soap residue. Then I buffed them down dry and let them sit for about a half an hour before applying the Pecard's.
I don't let the Pecard's sit overnight unless its a really dry sling. Usually I'll rub it in and then wipe back and forth to build up some heat friction and really work it into the leather. Then I'll hold a clean dry rag in one hand and swipe the sling through it to dry it well.
All the slings I've treated this way have remained soft enough to use comfortably. Even ones with cracks in the leather seem to soften up and be renewed. I trust them enough to sling a rifle over my shoulder and not worry about it ripping.

Rather than the saddle soap and water routine, I clean with a spray-on leather cleaner. Can't remember the brand name, but was off the shelf at a hardware store.

Pecards is great stuff. Lather it on after cleaning and drying, and it makes a big difference.
I'm not sure if you can buy it locally, but I got mine on-line:

http://www.pecard.com/store.php/

Look at just about any forum that deals with leather care on milsurps, and they'll steer you towards Picard's Antique Leather Care.

Back
Top Bottom