Getting a license in Somerville and finding a range

Hey all,

One of the folks in my BFS class yesterday is from Somerville. He's been trying to get in touch with the Licensing Officer there for a while now, but he never gets a return phone call. A few questions.

1. Has anyone had any issues making an appointment?

2. What does Somerville require besides the application? Letters of reference, etc?

3. What's the closest range? From Google Maps, I found "Mystic Valley Gun Club". Other recommendations?

Thanks!

Appointments are not done through the guy in charge. The person to speak to is Jen 617 625-1600 x 7244

2. What does Somerville require besides the application? Letters of reference, etc?

Go by and pick up the application. It tells one all they will need. You make the appointment after you have completed the application.

3. What's the closest range? From Google Maps, I found "Mystic Valley Gun Club". Other recommendations?

Mystic Valley is the closest. But, if you are not practicing at Harvard (1/2 hour from Somerville), in my opinion, you are not practicing for real world conditions. Static shooting from the "line" has limited practicality.

Dave

Other ranges reasonably close to Somerville include:

- Braintree
- Wayland Rod & Gun Club
- Mass Rifle (Woburn)
- Woburn Sportsmen's (Bedford)

If you want to check out Mystic come by on a Wednesday night and someone will give you a tour. Mystic does do organized PPC and IDPA style matches on a regular basis if those are your thing. They also offer an intro to practical shooting class for members who want to try IDPA style shooting.

It's a great 50 foot indoor range, but as Dave said if you want longer range or if you a lot of action shooting type stuff you might need to go elsewhere.

Unless it changed, you will need a money order when you go for the appoinment. I forgot that myself last time and had to walk over to the post office and back. Not a big deal, but easier if you remember before hand.

Hey all,

One of the folks in my BFS class yesterday is from Somerville. He's been trying to get in touch with the Licensing Officer there for a while now, but he never gets a return phone call. A few questions.

Thanks!

Somerville is simple to get an LTC-A. You just need to call and leave a message for the firearms licensing department (617-625-1600 ext7244). They will give you a call back to set up an appointment time. They are only open on Mondays and there is a backlog of applications, so expect a late appointment date. There are no extra requirements needed. Just fill out the standard application and bring the $100 money order made out to the City of Somerville. Don't forget the copy of the BFS course certificate. Everything else (photo, prints, etc) is done during your appointment.

the requirements are on the somerville PD website: http://www.somervillema.gov/spd/firearms_licensing.html

I am licensed in Somerville and shoot at Mass Rifle in Woburn. Mystic valley is closer, but only allows pistols (I believe).

Last edited:
Mystic valley is closer, but only allows pistols (I believe).

Rimfire rifles are also OK, but it's only a 50 foot range so serious rifle shooters will probably want an alternative. Reading, Mass Rifle, and Woburn are all close enough to be worth checking out. Harvard is a bit longer drive but from what I hear is an excellent club.

There's no rule that says you can't belong to more than one gun club! I belong to one close to home (convenience) and Harvard because it has great facilities and good people.

There's no rule that says you can't belong to more than one gun club! I belong to one close to home (convenience) and Harvard because it has great facilities and good people.
If you have the disposable $. I'd prefer one and done - spend the extra money on ammo.

Joining two clubs may actually be cost effective if you shoot a lot. I do most of my outdoor shooting in the Action Shooting pits at Harvard when the weather permits. During the winter I shoot at MRA (you gotta love that 25 yd indoor range that allows centerfire rifle) which is only 15 min from my house in Medford. Harvard is at least 40 min for me, so MRA saves time and fuel.

Thanks for all of the great info. I passed in along to the student. He's got an appointment now, but it's not until February! Guess they really are backed up. He's mostly interested in pistols right now, so Mystic might be a good place to start.

If you have the disposable $. I'd prefer one and done - spend the extra money on ammo.

Mystic is a whopping $100 a year. ($125 if you get the optional locker.) For $10 bucks a month or less it's totally worth it to me to have a place that's warm and dry to shoot at in the winter. It's also about 10 minutes from my house which is a nice bonus.

*To be fair there is a $200 initiation fee so the first year is a bit more expensive, but it's still a good deal IMHO.

Mystic is a whopping $100 a year. ($125 if you get the optional locker.) For $10 bucks a month or less it's totally worth it to me to have a place that's warm and dry to shoot at in the winter. It's also about 10 minutes from my house which is a nice bonus.

*To be fair there is a $200 initiation fee so the first year is a bit more expensive, but it's still a good deal IMHO.

That first year is 10 boxes (or more) of Winchester Supreme .30-06. (I know, can't actually USE them here... )

Back
Top Bottom