Get The Lead Out (cleaning tip)

I had a stainless revolver that had a lot of lead staining on the cylinder face and in the forcing cone area. My LeadAway cloth is in storage. Searching around online, I found a suggestion to try a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and (fresh) hydrogen peroxide. I started with a cotton ball that I soaked in the mix. At first, I didn't see much of a result, but I did notice a slight darkening of the cotton ball. After a few minutes, however, it appeared that some of the face was a bit cleaner. I kept at it with moderate pressure and most of the lead eventually came off. I couldn't get the cotton ball close enough to the crane (and the crane is not readily removable from the cylinder - it's a Ruger Redhawk), so I used a brass "toothbrush" type of brush to finish around the cylinder/crane area. I then soaked the area around the forcing cone, especially the area on top in the front "corner" area and hit it with the brass brush. All clean!

Hearing about one of the "factory" versions of this mixture, a poster commentated that they then recommended cleaning the firearm off thoroughly with their "second" chemical mix or rubbing alcohol
if their mix was not available. I used rubbing alcohol to flush/clean the treated metal. I then thoroughly coated everything with lubricating oil.

Not sure what this mix would do to a blued finish, but if you have a stainless revolver with "the usual" lead fouling, you can give this a try. HTH.

Good info thank you, glad it worked for you.

As for the blueing, tough call, back in the mid 90’s I had just come back to my place and sat down with some hot chow and a can of Sprite, took my pistol out and set it on the table next to me, think it was a Sig 226 9mm, well I knocked over the can of Sprite, said %*#! and grabbed a towel to wipe down my pistol, took the blueing right off of it within seconds. That sucked.

Now I keep a separate table to set my pistol on while I eat.

That mixture will remove blueing in a heartbeat. For something much less toxic try a rectangular pencil eraser or gray scotch brite pad.

That mixture will remove blueing in a heartbeat. For something much less toxic try a rectangular pencil eraser or gray scotch brite pad.
Well, there you go. Don't use it on blued guns! I mentioned in my first post that I didn't know what it would do to blued guns; glad that someone has a definitive answer. good to know about the pencil eraser, too.

I could eat off that revolver!
Nice post, thanks.
~Matt

All my revolvers (except my new-to-me Single Six are stainless, and cleaning the lead is less than fun. DEFINITELY gonna give your method a whirl. GP100 * 2, SP101 * 2, Super Redhawk, gonna be fun:) I have a little battery powered camp/tent fan, figure I'll set it up next to me at the table and have it blow air across my workspace, should handle any mild fumes nicely along with the ceiling fan above:)

Question: How did it affect the grips?

All my revolvers (except my new-to-me Single Six are stainless, and cleaning the lead is less than fun. DEFINITELY gonna give your method a whirl. GP100 * 2, SP101 * 2, Super Redhawk, gonna be fun:) I have a little battery powered camp/tent fan, figure I'll set it up next to me at the table and have it blow air across my workspace, should handle any mild fumes nicely along with the ceiling fan above:)

Question: How did it affect the grips?
There were ZERO fumes from this. I took the grips off prior to cleaning the gun.

Back
Top Bottom