German Mauser K98 info

southshoresig

NES Member
Been looking at lots of milsurps lately and bought a Mosin 91/30. Now I'm hooked, and want a German K98. I know nothing about them, anyone know some good info websites, I'd like to buy a good shooter with history. What are the major things to look for or avoid with these beauties.
Thanks

First take a look here:

http://surplusrifle.com/mauser98k/index.asp

then here:

http://p077.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums

That'll start you out ok, I think.

98-1.jpg

98-3.jpg

Last edited:
I just got a hell of an education on the SS K98s (NOT what you think) from the President of MF&G last night after the meeting. One of the members bought a 1919 from ZHA and was showing it off, while Greg (President and owner of The Powder Keg) had a K98 with a very interesting history (along with a GL article from June '06 with lots of info and a book on the history of the K98).

Most of you guys would have loved to be "a fly on the wall" as I did! Great BS session with about 5 of us hanging out until almost 10PM after the meeting.

Sorry to say that I don't remember most of the details.

Pilgrim, thanks fot the threads, lots of good info, and beautiful rifle!
Lens, I wish I could've been a fly on the wall, sounds like it was a great time.

Last edited:
The number of variations of Mausers is amazing. Just recently picked up a copy of Ball's "Mauser Military Rifles of the World (4th edition) and I can't believe how many countries adopted the rifle at one time or another.

The number of variations of Mausers is amazing. Just recently picked up a copy of Ball's "Mauser Military Rifles of the World (4th edition) and I can't believe how many countries adopted the rifle at one time or another.

And thats why I stuck with SKS' and Mosins.
But I did order a nice Russian capture bnz code K98 a few days ago for $259. [smile]
Carbine length Mausers (K98s, M48s, 24/47s, etc.) are great but I still think for the money that the Turk Mausers are the best deals going today.

c5126596.jpg

Mausers are fun plus there's a lot of variety with them that you can find a good example or 2.

1) K98's - Lots of history but finding the original issue ones without import stamps is getting hard/ expensive. The Russian Capture ones have some good history but condition ranges anywhere from good to sub-par. I got mine from Classic Arms and the waffemampts are there but the metal does have some pitting on it. I took off the shellac and redid it with Behr Scand. tung oil and the laminate stock looks nice. Mine has a BCD 43 barrel on it. I also have a Yugo Capture K98 that is in better condition but only has 2 waffenampts on the whole rifle. Figure between $200-$350 for one of these.

2) Gew 98 + variations - These are my favorites. Prices are about the same or more for these over the K98's. I like the long rifle lengths and there are still some floating around in great shape, if you're will to look and pay for it ( Stoneypete got a history piece that I was just about ready to get but was too slow. [sad] ) Only real bad thing with these is the excess of Turkish M38's around that look good but most of the bores are rough. My favorite one in this group is the Persian Mausers that still can be found but some of them won't be as nice as the one I have now. Excellent shooter and I just love that 29" barrel. 2nd is my Polish Radom WZ-98A. It has a good bore, matching numbers and no import stamps! Ran me $367 but I figure it was worth it as it was the first one of these I've seen + it's 1 of 44,500 made.

Pilgram gave you the sites to look at to start with. Look at these site + what you can find online/books and you should be able to get a good rifle to start with. Just keep in mind the more Nazi proofmarks on it, the more chance that it will cost you to get it!

Joe R.

I just picked up a 98K myself. Learned most of what I know from The K98 Mauser Forum. Good stickies at the top talking about the different markings and what they mean. I decided to go for a Mauser made by Mauser. Hope you have your C&R, makes things easier...

cheers,
Chuck

Back
Top Bottom