Geeking out...NTS style

Ok, I'll freely admit that I am a freakin' geek here.

The more I learn about the NTS infrastructure, the gladder (is that a word?) I am that I got my license.

I sent a radiogram to my mom last night via the Central MA 2 Meter Net.

I called and gave her a heads up that some stranger would be calling her with the radiogram and asked her to tell call me when she got the message.

She called me about 830pm tonight and said that she just got the message. She lives in NV.

I was duly impressed. Less than 24 hours for the message to make it to her. That's so freakin' cool.

So, I got back on the net tonight and talked to KB1WXC. He handled my through traffic and sent it up the line. Turns out that the regional net sent my message out via NTS-D. So it was a pretty automated process and didn't have to wait for CW or voice nets to carry the message along. Again, that is so cool!

This is motivating me even more to study for my General. I want in on this stuff!!!!

In a side conversation with KC1CIC, I was told that FEMA is seriously looking at leveraging the NTS in the event of national emergencies. Got mixed feelings about that, but I'll leave it to people with WAY more experience on this to decide what is best.

Anyway...geek mode off!

Thanks for reading

Just wait until you get your general. You'll be able to send an email through the air to someone's connected radio far away who'll put it on the internet for you. In other words, if the internet in New England goes down you'll be able to send messages to friends far away without you being connected to the internet.

HHTN adds informal NTS training sked on MMRA

Ok, I'll freely admit that I am a freakin' geek here.

The more I learn about the NTS infrastructure, the gladder (is that a word?) I am that I got my license.

I sent a radiogram to my mom last night via the Central MA 2 Meter Net. ...

Dig this:

ARRL EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS SECTION
JANUARY 2016 SECTION NEWS
Joe, W1HAI, manager of Heavy Hitters Traffic Net has announced added informal sessions of that net on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10 PM on the Minuteman Repeater Network for the purpose of discussion and help for anyone interested in learning more about traffic nets, message handling and NTS. "Seasoned" traffic handlers have been encouraged to check in to help answer questions. The initial session was well attended and many questions were answered. Everyone is welcome to check in. Traffic will continue to be handled there on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. (TNX KW1U)

Dig this:

Thanks for this. I just got home and went down into the dungeon and was listening. Tons of traffic on Paxton after the meeting. I put the radio into scan and didn't hear anything on Marlboro, Weston, or Quincy at 10pm.

Any idea on when the Tu-Th net will start up?

It was great meeting you at the meeting by the way. I think I was originally getting you confused with another guy with your first name, but as soon as you said NES, I knew. [grin]

73s

Thanks for this. I just got home and went down into the dungeon and was listening. Tons of traffic on Paxton after the meeting. I put the radio into scan and didn't hear anything on Marlboro, Weston, or Quincy at 10pm.

Any idea on when the Tu-Th net will start up?

Sorry, no idea. Hmmm, I don't think that the HHTN sked is up to date. In particular, HHTN doesn't mention Weston at all. Also, MMRA doesn't claim they link the entire system for that net.

Joe/W1HAI's EMail is unlisted on QRZ, but has had an ARRL.Net address in the past. Try asking him what repeaters they're using Tue/Thu.

It was great meeting you at the meeting by the way. I think I was originally getting you confused with another guy with your first name, ...

I could tell. (And while it might turn out that I know of the guy you were thinking of, I can't imagine who it is).

... but as soon as you said NES, I knew. [grin]

I was delighted to see you'd hit CMARA (and joined immediately). Nice to meetcha, too, of course.

73's...

Back
Top Bottom