HAM Radio Outlet New Spring/Summer 2020 Edition

How small that FTdx101MP is. That would make a great rig to through in your brief case!

They still print a catalog in 2020?

They print a catalog full of products that require you to go online or call for pricing?

(my FT-891 rig came from Salem, and they are a fine store. It’s just silly they print a catalog still)

They still print a catalog in 2020?

They print a catalog full of products that require you to go online or call for pricing?

(my FT-891 rig came from Salem, and they are a fine store. It’s just silly they print a catalog still)
Yes and you are right, no prices in the catalog. That's more ridiculous since damn near every ham item is price-fixed, so there never is a deviation of more than $1.00 from vendor to vendor for the same item.

My new Comet antenna (2M & 70cm) just arrived with 25ft of cable. I’m just waiting for the mast to come from Amazon so I can get that antenna properly situated and use my cheapo MFJ-1622 for HF stuff Instead of having to switch outlets every time I want to listen to something else.

Also, any thoughts on the new ICOM 705? Looks interesting for any number of reasons, but don’t know what the final price point will be and when it’s actually going to be released to the US market.

EDIT - I got my stuff from DXEngineering, not HRO.

Last edited:
My new Comet antenna (2M & 70cm) just arrived with 25ft of cable. I’m just waiting for the mast to come from Amazon so I can get that antenna properly situated and use my cheapo MFJ-1622 for HF stuff Instead of having to switch outlets every time I want to listen to something else.

Also, any thoughts on the new ICOM 705? Looks interesting for any number of reasons, but don’t know what the final price point will be and when it’s actually going to be released to the US market.

EDIT - I got my stuff from DXEngineering, not HRO.
IDK the 705 seems like a lot of money for a 10 watt rig, $1400 plus.

I'm trying to ignore it ... I've used my Covid vacation time to redo my shack a bit ... better grounding, new Kenwood TM-V71A and antenna, new HF antenna mast, cable prep / crimping kit, bulk spool of buryflex ... I'm already $1000 poorer. Unfortunately I still need a mobile/antenna for my new truck so here I go...

I do like the look of the Yaesu handhelds. It might be a better investment than a drawer full of busted Baofengs.

Agreed......I need a catalog. Registered and requested a catalog....I guess I am old school about reading catalogs.

Last edited:
Be aware that on common electrical items, HRO and other specialty shops might not be a good deal.

Sigma Electric ProConnex Grounding Clamp
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sigma-Electric-ProConnex-1-2-in-Grounding-Clamp-Conduit-Fitting/1000571 - $4.98 (yes, suitable for burial and SS screws)

while at HRO what definitely looks like the identical items is $37.95!!
You are being redirected...

--------------------------------------

Also Lowe's is offering a helluva deal on 6AWG bulk stranded soft drawn copper bare wire at $0.30/ft. thru 5/26/20.

Be aware that on common electrical items, HRO and other specialty shops might not be a good deal.

Sigma Electric ProConnex Grounding Clamp
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sigma-Electric-ProConnex-1-2-in-Grounding-Clamp-Conduit-Fitting/1000571 - $4.98 (yes, suitable for burial and SS screws)

while at HRO what definitely looks like the identical items is $37.95!!
You are being redirected...

--------------------------------------

Also Lowe's is offering a helluva deal on 6AWG bulk stranded soft drawn copper bare wire at $0.30/ft. thru 5/26/20.
Thanks for the heads up! Didn’t think of that.

Hmm, when I ordered it on Friday it was at the Nashua store at $0.30 and said on sale to 5/26. Now it shows at $0.85. ????

Good for you you beat the glitch ;)
Not really, I just looked at the order status and found that they canceled the entire order! Also, another store claims to have the wire, but at $0.68/ft, so it seems random pricing at each store for the same stuff (likely closing out that wire). I'm on the phone with them now.

It turns out that it was mis-labeled (wire) and they didn't have all the grounding lugs I ordered so they canceled the order. After speaking with (I assume) the manager, he found the wire and only one grounding lug, so he placed them as a phone order and charged me $0.17/ft for the wire. o_O

This was a constant complaint even when I worked there in the early 90s. Their reasoning is that prices fluctuate like precious metals and it's easier to give up to the minute prices over the phone than to haggle over a price that may be one price when the catalog was printed and a different one half a year or more later. I understand their reasoning I guess but still, it's frustrating. When I go through their catalog, I need to be near my computer to check prices. Kinda sucks.

Back when I worked there, there was no "on line" the first few years so it wasn't unusual to field a hundred or more phone calls a day.

Last edited:
Not really, I just looked at the order status and found that they canceled the entire order! Also, another store claims to have the wire, but at $0.68/ft, so it seems random pricing at each store for the same stuff (likely closing out that wire). I'm on the phone with them now.

It turns out that it was mis-labeled (wire) and they didn't have all the grounding lugs I ordered so they canceled the order. After speaking with (I assume) the manager, he found the wire and only one grounding lug, so he placed them as a phone order and charged me $0.17/ft for the wire. o_O
When I went for pickup, it was a disaster. They charged for 200' but only had 68' in the store. The grounding clamp they gave me was the wrong one, and they didn't have any of the correct one in spite of inventory showing 7 in stock. I spent an hour there as they scoured the store to see if they had any more wire or proper clamps. Finally I got credited for the 132' of missing wire and wrong clamp and left with 68' of 6AWG for $0.17/ft. Oh well!

Back
Top Bottom