Gave the Italian Vetterli a second chance.

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
As I had used most of my ammo last time just to find out where the Vetterli (1884 Brescia, 1916 conversion) was hitting, I gave it a second chance to see what it could do. Sunny, 84 degrees and still. Shot 20 rounds of Prvi, prone, with hasty sling. The first four were left as I forgot that in addition to aiming three feet low, I also had to aim two feet right as well. Results were better than they seem - if I had been using a standard SR-1 target instead of the 1 foot Dirty-Bird, 8 of the 10 misses would have printed from 1/4 to four inches out, at 4:00 to 9:00. One off paper high, and another outlier at 8:00. The Vetterli would be the equivalent of the German's sleeving the M70/84 Mauser to 7.92x57. When the German's reworked the Gew88 to Gew88/S. they at least renumbered the sights to reflect the ballistics of the S-patronen. I guess the Italians really didn't expect these to be used in combat. But if you knew where to counter-aim it could still be an effective, although inferior, weapon.

T

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom