Gauging interest/ basic bow & drill instructional...

Firemaking: bow and drill basics. I'm not sure how much interest there is in this (if any at all), but I offered in my thread, so here it is.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/35145-Bow-amp-Drill-Flint-Steel-amp-Hand-Drill...

This will be a basic bow and drill half day (3- 3 /1/2 hrs +/-) course for beginners wanting to learn the bow/drill basics. I'm offering this for free to NES members/fellow shooters only. No Obamanites/hippies.

Here's a quick idea (short version) of how it's going to go...

1. After introductions, I will hand out a finished bow/drill set (which I will provide) to every person in attendence.

2. We will go over the basics and I will give you an example of how it's done (while keeping in mind that there is no one way to do this).

3. Each person, if they want, can give it a shot with the bow/drill set provided. I will go step by step with you guys on this one and will give instruction to those that need help/having trouble.

4. I'm also going to try and bring some rough examples for everyone to examine... and if we have time, everyone can try making their own set from scratch. If we have enough time/access, we can hit the woods and gather the material instead, but I'll bring examples just in case.

What you need to bring...

- A good knife or multi tool. I suggest bringing a multi tool as it makes things faster and easier... again, this is a short beginners course on bow/drill.

- The knife/multi tool is a must, the only other thing I would suggest is to bring some insect repellent to protect against ticks (depending on where we are going to be) and such.

If you're interested, post here.

I need to find a location to do this. I figure we can do this in June or July on a Saturday or Sunday.

In! Much appreciate you doing this!

Would it be possible to bring 4-5 scouts from my troop as well? Know this is primarily for NES members but this is (for me anyway) a rare opportunity..... Charging an attendance fee for them would also be fine..... If you think this would be too much it's not a problem..... I can work with them with what I learn from your workshop.... Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask....[wink]

Last edited:
In! Much appreciate you doing this!

Would it be possible to bring 4-5 scouts from my troop as well? Know this is primarily for NES members but this is (for me anyway) a rare opportunity..... Charging an attendance fee for them would also be fine..... If you think this would be too much it's not a problem..... I can work with them with what I learn from your workshop.... Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask....[wink]

No problem, yes, bring them. I don't mind.

naner,

As I have said before, I am willing to host in the Manchester, NH area.

I have a small firepit available on a raised deck (firepit allows us to actually start small fires if we'd like) and very small strip of woods. A few miles into Manchester is Livingston Park, which is a public park with a large wooded area with trails around a small pond. Other than clearing the paths, park services doesn't do much dead-fall clean-up, so there's a LOT of dead-fall off the trails. This makes the area good for wood sacavaging and temperary shelter building practice. There are not fires allowed at Livingston, so we'd have to return to my house to practice with any scavenged materials.

The woods in Livingston Park are typical New England mixed Hardwood / Softwood.

So far, I have a location in Grafton, MA and ShadeWPI's offer in Manchester, NH.

This is NOT a solid date, but I'm thinking maybe Saturday, June 26th. As for time, I'm thinking 10AM-1PM +/-.

So far, I have a location in Grafton, MA and ShadeWPI's offer in Manchester, NH.

This is NOT a solid date, but I'm thinking maybe Saturday, June 26th. As for time, I'm thinking 10AM-1PM +/-.

Date sounds good for me.... Either location would be fine.....

A letter is going out to my range officials today to see if they will allow me to have it at the range (Northbridge, MA) on a Sunday (no shooting allowed on Sunday's, so I figure it makes the most sense.). I will update once I hear back.

Worst case, we have Grafton, MA or Manchester, NH as options.

Quick update...

I heard back from my range (Rockdale Rod & Gun in Northbridge, MA) and they gave me the okay... I'm going to gather up the rest of the material over the next week or so and then I'll post up a date. As of right now I'm thinking either the first or second week in July (on a Sunday).

Quick update...

I heard back from my range (Rockdale Rod & Gun in Northbridge, MA) and they gave me the okay... I'm going to gather up the rest of the material over the next week or so and then I'll post up a date. As of right now I'm thinking either the first or second week in July (on a Sunday).

Awesome! Thanks again for doing this!

Quick update...

Isn't the first Sunday in July the 4th?

Quick update... the good news is, we are still on. The bad news is that I'm going to have to push this back a bit. I have to deal with a minor medical issue, once I'm back on my feet, we are on. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Back
Top Bottom