• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

g19 loose/worn slide stop or worn slide or old recoil spring?

i have a gen 3 g19 after shooting a mag and the slide locks back...if i slap a new mag in hard the slide will sometimes release and snap forward without having touched the slide stop...would this be a loose or worn slide stop issue or a slide wear issue or an old recoil spring?...thanks in advance

Last edited:
slide stop is either very worn (i.e. slide stop spring worn out), although more commonly it's simply installed incorrectly. remove your slide and make sure the long arm of the slide-stop spring is underneath the locking block pin. this is why the locking block pin should be installed before the slide stop. if the it's incorrect, just drift the locking block pin out a bit and slide the spring under it. if the slide stop is installed correctly then just order a new one. they are very cheap.

Does this look correct?

d769ea79258bae5c8c00e9d9ab6c4619.jpg

94ebf3b1ad067d30640ff83b48a540af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cannot see from that angle. take picture from front looking under locking block towards locking block pin. you will see a small spring coming from the takedown lever and it shoudl be UNDER the lockign block pin.

if really not sure just pop out your front pins. they push left to right. should come out easily. do not use a hammer. use a glock tool. locking block pin is removed L -> R. to remove the slide stop you will then drift the trigger pin and it will come out. it's quite easy.

http://glockparts.com/Content.aspx?PAGE=Glock+Disassembly

it's an easy swap to install a new one.
https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=7373&TERM=slide release

Last edited:
cannot see from that angle. take picture from front looking under locking block towards locking block pin. you will see a small spring coming from the takedown lever and it shoudl be UNDER the lockign block pin.

if really not sure just pop out your front pins. they push left to right. should come out easily. do not use a hammer. use a glock tool. locking block pin is removed L -> R. to remove the slide stop you will then drift the trigger pin and it will come out. it's quite easy.

http://glockparts.com/Content.aspx?PAGE=Glock+Disassembly

it's an easy swap to install a new one.
https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=7373&TERM=slide release

thanks again...i'll take a look at it again tonight hopefully and maybe get some better photos...i have to do some homework to figure out what i'm looking at

Or just leave it as is? (Some people like this "reload feature.")

^ This, my G19 (G3) will do this and its a great feature when shooting competitions, my G17 (G4) wont. I've been tempted to tweak the stop so it does this.

Just replace it. It's a cheap part. I would not recommend training around this 'feature', because a vast majority of people I see end up slamming their mags multiple times like dopes when it doesn't work. Train reliable methods with gear that works reliably. You can reload just as fast without this 'feature'.

Additionally, if the spring gets really weak, you'll eventually see the gun locking back on loaded magazines. I don't say this because I'm theorycrafting this out of thin air. I've seen it happen.

Just replace it. It's a cheap part. I would not recommend training around this 'feature', because a vast majority of people I see end up slamming their mags multiple times like dopes when it doesn't work. Train reliable methods with gear that works reliably. You can reload just as fast without this 'feature'.

Additionally, if the spring gets really weak, you'll eventually see the gun locking back on loaded magazines. I don't say this because I'm theorycrafting this out of thin air. I've seen it happen.

+1

i have a gen 3 g19 after shooting a mag and the slide locks back...if i slap a new mag in hard the slide will sometimes release and snap forward without having touched the slide stop...would this be a loose or worn slide stop issue or a slide wear issue or an old recoil spring?...thanks in advance

Usually a slide stop problem. Can sometimes be a magazine as well if its not fully engaging the slide stop on last round. This is somewhat normal IMO especially if your really slamming that mag in hard.

Google "slide releasing when mag inserted" and you'll get hits on Glock, Walther, CZ, Walther, S&W...

A *lot* of guns do this. If this were happening to a 1911, I'd take it to a gunsmith and get it repaired.

For a Glock, I'd leave it alone. Both of my G17's do this, and the first time they did it I was shocked, now I'm fine with it. I firmly slap a fresh mag into the magwell if the slide drops I'm set, if not, I slingshot it. I don't consider it a problem.

Or just leave it as is? (Some people like this "reload feature.")

This is only useful if the slide CONSISTENTLY runs forward when you slam a mag home.

Otherwise, its a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

To the OP.

Just call Glock. They will send you a shipping label, pay for shipping both ways and fix the gun for free.

Make it not your problem.

Don

I would not recommend training around this 'feature', because a vast majority of people I see end up slamming their mags multiple times like dopes when it doesn't work.

In addition to what Stu said, this is a good way to inadvertently rip the base plates off the magazine (resulting in all the round falling to the ground).

Once a Glock magazine loses it's base plate this way, it is more prone to it happening again when inserting magazines normally.

To the OP.

Just call Glock. They will send you a shipping label, pay for shipping both ways and fix the gun for free.

Make it not your problem.

Don

I think I'll do this at some point...thanks Don...should I send them the whole pistol minus the mag?...free work sounds good to me

Does the warranty matter?...I mean it's not under one anymore
https://us.glock.com/customer-service/glock-warranty

Last edited:
Call glock. It doesn't cost anything to call them and see what they offer.

Shipping is a big deal since it can cost you $75 to ship a handgun one way. (overnight or 2nd day required) and it only costs Glock or any (non-03) FFL about $10 to ship a handgun one way (USPS flat rate box or UPS ground)

Back
Top Bottom