G17 or G34?

I don't know if I qualify as a 'Glock guy' but my 2 cents. I like the longest sight radius I can get in an iron sight pistol so the 34 would be my pick for IDPA. Longer sight radius helps accuracy for long shots. That said, targets in IDPA are mostly 30' and less by a large factor and the 17 will be do the job all day long at those distances. If I had a 17 (and I do) I wouldn't buy a 34 unless I planned to shoot SSP seriously (I mostly shoot ESP with an Infinity 2011). If I did campaign in SSP for a full season I'd buy a 34. The 34s longer barrel is an advantage as milder loads will make power factor. Some think the longer length slows the draw - it doesn't. A holster for the 34 will work for a 17 but not vice versa. The 34 could also be used in ESP. The advantages of the 34 outweigh the 17, but if you can't make up your mind - buy both.

You do make a point. I'm selling a couple things to fund this, I just want to make sure I have enough left over for extra mags and gear.

Get a good belt, holster, mag holders (2 singles, or 1 double), and at least 4 10-round mags (I'm assuming you'll shoot some matches it in MA). The good thing is that factory glock mags are pretty cheap compared to others. They aren't the cheapest but I'm fond of comp-tac holsters/pouches.

There only 2 guns I'd buy for SSP or USPSA Production are the M&P 9 Pro or the G34. If I already had a G17, I wouldn't be in a hurry to sell/trade it for a G34, but if you're buying a gun specifically to shoot matches, longer sight radius all the way.

Good stuff. I just shot IDPA for the first time yesterday at the GOAL class. I did ok with the compact M&P, but the point was pretty well made that long sight radius is the way to go, and long term, the compact wont do me any favors. Sounds like for starting fresh, the 34 is the right way to go.

I have a comptac holster for my M&P9c and while is sucks to conceal (the holster not the gun), it was perfect for the course yesterday. I'll go back there for a new holster once I have this all sorted out.

I tend to try and do things with a budget in mind, but it seems for competition shooting of any kind, it makes more sense to get the right stuff the first time rather than screw around replacing things later on.

Last edited:
If you like the M&P compact, consider the M&P 9 Pro 5" or 9L. I think the 5" M&P and the G34 are pretty much equal, I like the M&P better, but can't fault anyone who prefers the glock.

I do like my M&P but I dont want to have to screw around with getting another trigger job done. Does the Pro have the same trigger issues as the standard M&P's?.... And didn't I read somewhere that someone had a problem with the Pro? It was a while ago...

Been a Glock guy for a long time. I did quite well with a 17 in IDPA for years. At IDPA distances the longer 34 is not a big deal. The 17 is faster out of the holster and transitions a bit quicker. But when I got into USPSA more seriously I went with the 34 for the longer shots. If I had a 17 I wouldn't go out to buy a 34. if I had neither and was picking one to buy i would take the 34. They are only about $100 difference and if you get really into competitions, which you will, $100 is a drop in the bucket.

I do like my M&P but I dont want to have to screw around with getting another trigger job done. Does the Pro have the same trigger issues as the standard M&P's?.... And didn't I read somewhere that someone had a problem with the Pro? It was a while ago...

The pro has a decent trigger out of the box (4-5lb). It's not superb, but it's not bad at all, definitely better than the regular M&Ps. Underwhere had a loose front sight and a too heavy recoil spring, but Smith made it right. I have some minor rust issues with my first one that I'll get around to sending back to Smith eventually. My second one that I bought recently is perfect. 2 or 3 other guys bought them at the same time and had no problems.

Listen to these guys. Some of the finest shooters locally. I will disagree with Scott a bit on the draw- although it may not be a huge factor- getting a G17 out of the holster is faster than the G34. But... I use a G34 since all the other benefits far offset any shortcomings.

Oh and on the M&P Pro/Long- strange but Glshooter and I both agree that the Glock shoots flatter with the same loads. Not sure why or how but to me it was noticeable. And I've shot both back to back plenty.

I don't know if I qualify as a 'Glock guy' but my 2 cents. I like the longest sight radius I can get in an iron sight pistol so the 34 would be my pick for IDPA. Longer sight radius helps accuracy for long shots. That said, targets in IDPA are mostly 30' and less by a large factor and the 17 will be do the job all day long at those distances. If I had a 17 (and I do) I wouldn't buy a 34 unless I planned to shoot SSP seriously (I mostly shoot ESP with an Infinity 2011). If I did campaign in SSP for a full season I'd buy a 34. The 34s longer barrel is an advantage as milder loads will make power factor. Some think the longer length slows the draw - it doesn't. A holster for the 34 will work for a 17 but not vice versa. The 34 could also be used in ESP. The advantages of the 34 outweigh the 17, but if you can't make up your mind - buy both.

Been a Glock guy for a long time. I did quite well with a 17 in IDPA for years. At IDPA distances the longer 34 is not a big deal. The 17 is faster out of the holster and transitions a bit quicker. But when I got into USPSA more seriously I went with the 34 for the longer shots. If I had a 17 I wouldn't go out to buy a 34. if I had neither and was picking one to buy i would take the 34. They are only about $100 difference and if you get really into competitions, which you will, $100 is a drop in the bucket.

Listen to these guys. Some of the finest shooters locally. I will disagree with Scott a bit on the draw- although it may not be a huge factor- getting a G17 out of the holster is faster than the G34. But... I use a G34 since all the other benefits far offset any shortcomings.

Oh and on the M&P Pro/Long- strange but Glshooter and I both agree that the Glock shoots flatter with the same loads. Not sure why or how but to me it was noticeable. And I've shot both back to back plenty.

Hey, How did I get in a Glock IDPA thread.

Anyways, the longer sight radius is nice, but there are so many more important aspects to work on in the beginning that your time and effort are better spent on practice.

I agree with Bustnut that the M&P was surprisingly flippy

Anyways, the longer sight radius is nice, but there are so many more important aspects to work on in the beginning that your time and effort are better spent on practice.

Ok on a serious note, Mike is right on the money. There are guns that may hold you back a bit in this sport- but many new shooters often look for the "silver bullet"... the new thing that makes them faster, more accurate, etc. The best shooters work the hardest... period.

Ok on a serious note, Mike is right on the money. There are guns that may hold you back a bit in this sport- but many new shooters often look for the "silver bullet"... the new thing that makes them faster, more accurate, etc. The best shooters work the hardest... period.

I agree 100%, but the OP is looking for his first competition gun. A compact carry gun will definitely hold you back. Once you pick something reasonable, don't mess with it. Pick one and practice. The people who shoot a different gun every match will never improve much.

One of these day I will shoot my G19. I bet I'd do ok.

I agree 100%, but the OP is looking for his first competition gun. A compact carry gun will definitely hold you back. Once you pick something reasonable, don't mess with it. Pick one and practice. The people who shoot a different gun every match will never improve much.

The people who shoot a different gun every match will never improve much.

This is a major point. I've had a case of division-creep lately, even though I know better. Stick with one gun and one division until you can really shoot anything.

I shoot a Ruger SR9, great gun, but I have always felt that I would shoot faster and more accurate if I was shooting a Glock 34. A friend and I switched guns at the Classifier in Worcester last month. He hands down beat me with my own gun. Embarrassing yes. However it does show me that the real issue I have is the fundamentals, shooting a Glock 34 will not help that.

that the Glock shoots flatter with the same loads. Not sure why or how but to me it was noticeable. And I've shot both back to back plenty.

Hmmm, you could always go with a Sig...[pot]

Seriously, I have a 17 and I enjoy it but rarely shoot it anymore. If I were to choosing between the two now I would pick the 34.

ETA: as others have said - It really boils down to what you are most comfortable shooting. What feels and points most natural for you. For me it is not a Glock. They feel OK and I can shoot them with a fair amount of success but there are other pistols that just fit me better.

Dave- recoil springs could change that "flippy" feel (i know you know that already). Have you experimented?

Last edited:
I shoot a Ruger SR9, great gun, but I have always felt that I would shoot faster and more accurate if I was shooting a Glock 34. A friend and I switched guns at the Classifier in Worcester last month. He hands down beat me with my own gun. Embarrassing yes. However it does show me that the real issue I have is the fundamentals, shooting a Glock 34 will not help that.

I absolutely agree here. Its all fundamentals, no platform will make you shoot better... If I had a full size... anything in 9mm, I wouldnt really be looking to change up. But since Im moving from compact to full size for competition, I want to make sure I find the right tool for the job, and get it right the first time.

MFP 4073 said:
ETA: as others have said - It really boils down to what you are most comfortable shooting. What feels and points most natural for you. For me it is not a Glock. They feel OK and I can shoot them with a fair amount of success but there are other pistols that just fit me better.

Another good point. I havent shot a Glock in 11 or 12 years, so what I should do is head over to MFLR and try out a 17 (they dont rent 34's) and see how I like it. At least it'll give me a chance to see if I like the feel. I've always thought my M&Pc fit me pretty well, and while I've never shot a full size, I assume it would be similar. One thing I heard people talking about at the class the other day is that the with M&P you've really gotta slap the mag in there to get it to hold. I dont know if they were shooting the Pro or not, but it seemed to be the general consensus.

One thing I heard people talking about at the class the other day is that the with M&P you've really gotta slap the mag in there to get it to hold. I dont know if they were shooting the Pro or not, but it seemed to be the general consensus.

That's only if you have a pro/fullsize with the newer follower in 10 round mags and you haven't fixed it and you're loading with the slide closed. There's a thread on here about the issue somewhere. Basically, Smith changed the follower and didn't test it too much in 10 rounders.

Another good point. I havent shot a Glock in 11 or 12 years, so what I should do is head over to MFLR and try out a 17 (they dont rent 34's) and see how I like it. At least it'll give me a chance to see if I like the feel. I've always thought my M&Pc fit me pretty well, and while I've never shot a full size, I assume it would be similar. One thing I heard people talking about at the class the other day is that the with M&P you've really gotta slap the mag in there to get it to hold. I dont know if they were shooting the Pro or not, but it seemed to be the general consensus.

You should go to one of the practices and try a few guns. Most are more than willing to let you try their gear

That's only if you have a pro/fullsize with the newer follower in 10 round mags and you haven't fixed it and you're loading with the slide closed. There's a thread on here about the issue somewhere. Basically, Smith changed the follower and didn't test it too much in 10 rounders.

It sucks with the compact too, if you have new style followers.

Dave- recoil springs could change that "flippy" feel (i know you know that already). Have you experimented?

It wouldn't have been a fair experiment if I kept the M&P stock would it? [smile]

Both with 13lb springs in my case. Now... I could change grips on the M&P, tweak more, etc, etc. but in general I noticed the difference. Another friend used both guns with stock recoil springs and noticed it as well.

Back
Top Bottom