• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

G.Loomis Bronzeback series rods

Anybody use this series of rods ? Looking to get one for fishing soft plastics such as slugos , tubes , finesse worms . Looking for any feed back . Thnx

I have a Bronzeback 6' 3" MH casting rod that is great--light, fast tip. No complaints, other than the expense. I find it very comparable to my St Croix Legend Elites. For a little less money, you might want to look at St Croix Avids--they run about $200 and, if you ever break it (your fault), they will replace it for $75.

I have some G. Loomis rods (mostly IMX baitcasters MBR 782(2), 783(2), an 843, and a CBR843), as well as St. Croix Premier, Avid, and Legend Tournament (LT) rods. I have not tried the Bronzeback series.

For soft plastics, I love my St. Croix 6'8" LT MXF spinning rod. Really good Senko & Cuttail Worm rod paired with a 2500 or 3000-sized reel and usually 8- but sometimes 10-pound line. Good for fishing open water, around docks, and light weeds. For heavier lillypad beds I go to a baitcaster with heavier line. It's good for drop-shotting with down to 1/8oz weight with a Zoom finesse worm, up to a 3/8 oz weight with a normal-sized straighttail worm. I like the extra-fast tip for these types of baits. You'd have to check the G. Loomis webpage to find which model will suit your needs. They list them based on length, power, and action, but not necessarily technique. Use other manufacturers (StCroix, Falcon, etc.) sites to see what rods are generally recommended for the techniques and baits you're fishing.

For lighter presentations (un-weighted finesse worms, even-smaller dropshot rig, etc.), check out the St. Croix 6'10" MLXF. I had a custom rod made with this blank for my wife a few years ago. Amazingly light and sensitive rod, with a surprising amount of power when you need it.

Edit to say that the St. Croix Premier series rods perform just as well as their more-expensive Avid and LT rods. They are light, sensitive, and perform great for half the price. They just don't come with the 'lifetime' warranty or the extra-fast tip. Here, a medium-light power, fast action rod will do you well. A medium power rod is a bit stiff here. A MH power is akin to a pool cue. Good for flipping and pitching, but not accurate casting, or working any kind of finesse bait.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom