Question about short Fly Rods...

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Hey all,

I've been Fly Fishing for over 40 years and have about a half dozen fly rods, all graphite/boron. My favorite is an 8'6" 5wt custom made by the late Vince Cummings http://www.gregrummo.net/gregrummo/vince_cummings.pdf which I bought from him in 1984. I absolutely love that rod.

I really like to fish small feeder streams in the Whites but I find I spend half my time struggling with the long poles, getting them caught on brush overhanging the brooks or no room to maneuver the longer rods...some of the brooks I fish are less than 8 feet across and so it's almost impossible to fish some of these with any of the rods I have (they are longer then the width of the brook).

I am looking at a 5'6" or 6'6" 3wt rod (or maybe even a 2 wt) that, to my mind, would be easier to fish with in these small brooks and stream.

I'm guessing that they would have to have a slow or medium action because they are so short.

I have read a few reviews on these and it seems either they love them or hate them, though it seems that those that don't like them don't understand their limitations.

Does anyone here have any "on stream" experience with these shorter rods?

Last edited:
I have a 6' TFO 2wt., with this really cool tiny little real.

http://www.tforods.com/fly-fishing/rods/signature.html

Makes a tiger out of a 10" brookie.

Also, this looks kind of interesting, for the minimalist.

I'm going for sea-run browns in Southern Chile and up to a trout ranch on the Argentina side of Northern Patagonia on Friday for 2.5 weeks. I'll post some pics.

Hey all,

I've been Fly Fishing for over 40 years and have about a half dozen fly rods, all graphite/boron. My favorite is an 8'6" 5wt custom made by the late Vince Cummings (http://www.si.com/vault/1972/07/17/6...hank-of-thread) which I bought from him in 1984. I absolutely love that rod.

I really like to fish small feeder streams in the Whites but I find I spend half my time struggling with the long poles, getting them caught on brush overhanging the brooks or no room to maneuver the longer rods...some of the brooks I fish are less than 8 feet across and so it's almost impossible to fish some of these with any of the rods I have (they are longer then the width of the brook).

I am looking at a 5'6" or 6'6" 3wt rod (or maybe even a 2 wt) that, to my mind, would be easier to fish with in these small brooks and stream.

I'm guessing that they would have to have a slow or medium action because they are so short.

I have read a few reviews on these and it seems either they love them or hate them, though it seems that those that don't like them don't understand their limitations.

Does anyone here have any "on stream" experience with these shorter rods?

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddy swears by his "midge rod" a 3 wgt of some sort of make - TFO maybe, it's not a high dollar rod. Don't worry about action, it's all roll casts and dappling - any real casting and you'll sort out the timing quickly.

The Tenkara is interesting and fly fishing elitists hate it because it doesn't involve a reel - it's very effective, especially on smaller streams, there is no real casting like a traditional fly rod, all dappling.

I fish a echo Carbon 6'6" 2wt with a orvis batten kill reel it is my small brookie stream go to. I like the setup works well and didn't break the bank I love my sage rod 8'6" 5 wt but I couldn't justify $500 again for a small stream rod.

Back
Top Bottom