• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Funky .40 range pickups...

Has anybody ever seen anything like this? These are pickups after a USPSA match (New Bedford or Harvard). You can feel them with your finger nail. You can really feel them when you are roll sizing. They are definitely reloads. The pattern is very uniform. What kind of sizing die or funky cut chamber could cause this?

Some blowback operated guns have fluted chambers, and I've seen this on 9mm range brass as well. Something about helping with extraction, I think.

Still doesn't answer the question of what gun it is, though..... someone shooting an HK P7M10 at a USPSA match? Nah, almost can't be, not enough flutes.

-Mike

My MP5 clone does that to 9mm brass and I know they make them in .40. I believe mine has 12 flutes. Although I don't think someone would be shooting it at a USPSA match as was mentioned. Firing pin indents on the primer look the same too. Are you sure they weren't fired before the match and just left on the ground?

Is it possible that instead of being left by the gun that just fired them, that the marks are 'left over' from a previous firing in a different gun?

The flutes iron out upon successive firing, although you can still tell if you look closely. It's most likely these were from someone shooting prior to the match.

Strange, the fluting doesn't extend all the way to the case mouth. I thought the purpose of the fluting was to allow gas to get between the case and chamber wall. This type of fluting would prevent that.

Back
Top Bottom