• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

30-40 krag

M1911a1g17

NES Member
Hello all
I was wondering if anyone here reloads 30-40 krag? Thinking about loading this caliber and was hoping anyone had some tips if they do! Thank you.

Hello all
I was wondering if anyone here reloads 30-40 krag? Thinking about loading this caliber and was hoping anyone had some tips if they do! Thank you.
I have a very accurate load that works just as well in a carbine, rifle and cut-down rifle. Its a pleasant load to shoot too.

Its 37 grains of H4895 with a SMK 175gr bullet seated to 3.080" with a light crimp.

They feed just fine even though people will tell you to use round nose. If you have one that gets hung up when closing the bolt, just pull back slightly and push forward again and it should close just fine.

I have a very accurate load that works just as well in a carbine, rifle and cut-down rifle. Its a pleasant load to shoot too.

Its 37 grains of H4895 with a SMK 175gr bullet seated to 3.080" with a light crimp.

They feed just fine even though people will tell you to use round nose. If you have one that gets hung up when closing the bolt, just pull back slightly and push forward again and it should close just fine.
Nice. H4895 is like gold now. Tough to find especially the 8 pounders

For accuracy, you can't beat the Sierra Match King 175 for the Krag. Here's my load.

Bullet: 175gr SMK
Powder: IMR4350 47.0gr
Primer: CCI BR-2
OAL: 3.075"
Chrono: 2,370 f/s

You're not going to believe this, but when I lived in CA I competed in a monthly match where we started at 200 yards and worked our way out to 1,000 yards in 200y steps. After seeing one guy with a 98 Mauser and period scope place in the middle of the pack, I decided to have fun with the sporterized Krag that I inherited from granddad. I worked up this load, comparing velocity and pressure signs with 180gr factory ammo. It shot about 1.5MOA with the above load which is fine. After 500 yards, knowing your come-ups and reading the wind is more important than the rifle's accuracy. Showing up to this match with a sporterized Krag with a 3-9 Bushnell got me stares, some ridicule and lots of ribbing[laugh]. The barrel has a 1:9 twist. I doubt it's original, but what was awesome was it kept the bullet stabilized going subsonic. Usually they tumble when going subsonic. The guy working my target in the pits said he could hear the supersonic crack going subsonic at 800 yards and couldn't believe I was still on paper. By 1,000 yards he had to watch the burm for dirt splashes because it was totally subsonic and he couldn't hear my bullet overhead. I used the Krag 3 times and beat about 1/3 of the competitors with it. That was a blast[grin]

Back
Top Bottom