• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Full Disclosure?

Has anyone not permitted full access to their financial records (or utilities, employment, etc) when applying for the CT LTC (the DPS-249-C form)?

The DPS-249-C form gives the State Police authority to review any and all of one's personal information: access to checking and savings accounts, income, credit cards, employment history, real estate owned, loans, investments - anything they want.

I do not intend to give such access, and while the above-referenced form mentions that “refusal this authorization will not, of itself, constitute a basis for rejection of my application”, I am curious to know if anyone else had not given the SP access to this info AND received thier LTC.

I see what you are now saying - and I have not heard personally heard of any situations of denial based by the DPS based on one refusing to check the box granting full access to personal information but your concern is valid. I could only add that I know many of these people in Meriden and they are not bad people. However, assuming the best and not the worst, like any governmental agency, personal information can be lost/ mislaid/abused and that is why I share your disdain for carte blanche granting this information.

Have you thought about indicating that you do not wish to disclose this information but provide an attached cover letter indicating that you have not granted full access to your personal information for privacy and identity theft reasons but would be willing to respond to any reasonable specific requests for further information pertaining to your personal status that is relevant to your application?

Shall Issue

My understanding that CT is a shall issue state means they cannot deny you on that basis, you may get denied for that particular form, but you can just appeal the denial and be granted your permit. Not sure how accurate that is though, but it's what I have heard, hope that helps.

You only have to fill out the green form. Anything in addition to that may be requested by the Chief of Police, but they are not allowed to deny you based on refusal to provide anything except the green form.

I don't remember agreeing to any financial disclosures on my state form. It has been a while. I don't have anything to hide anyway( but understand the concern - it just seems comical that the state would have anything to say about my finances) . My mere financial pittance shouldn't be suspect to anyone. Its not like I make overseas transfers or anything.

I see what you are now saying - and I have not heard personally heard of any situations of denial based by the DPS based on one refusing to check the box granting full access to personal information but your concern is valid. I could only add that I know many of these people in Meriden and they are not bad people. However, assuming the best and not the worst, like any governmental agency, personal information can be lost/ mislaid/abused and that is why I share your disdain for carte blanche granting this information.

Have you thought about indicating that you do not wish to disclose this information but provide an attached cover letter indicating that you have not granted full access to your personal information for privacy and identity theft reasons but would be willing to respond to any reasonable specific requests for further information pertaining to your personal status that is relevant to your application?

Actualy yes. My plan is to mark out what I am not "OK" with.

My understanding that CT is a shall issue state means they cannot deny you on that basis, you may get denied for that particular form, but you can just appeal the denial and be granted your permit. Not sure how accurate that is though, but it's what I have heard, hope that helps.

Nope. CT is a "may issue" state. They can deny and then you may appeal. You were correct in your understanding that you can appeal, but if CT were a "shall issue", they would not be able to deny you unless you were a felon, etc. As it stands, if the police chief in your town or your first selectman, etc., doesn't like you, you can get denied and will have to appeal.

This may help too:

http://www.ccdl.us/resources/permit-issues/105-victory-for-connecticut-gun-permits

Last edited:
When I applied for my CT non-res. permit I didn't sign that "full disclosure" form, and I got it back quickly without any issues.

I don't think it is likely to cause your disqualification. Guggie is correct, CT is a 'may issue' state. In theory, your town's First Selectman or other top official such as Chief of Police has to OK your permit prior to it going to the state level, and that person can reject you for any reason they see fit. They define this as the 'local authority' or 'temporary permit'.

Sec. 29-28a
(b) The local authority shall, not later than eight weeks after a sufficient application for a temporary state permit has been made, inform the applicant that such applicant's request for a temporary state permit has been approved or denied. The local authority shall forward a copy of the application indicating approval or denial of the temporary state permit to the Commissioner of Public Safety. If the local authority has denied the application for a temporary state permit, no state permit may be issued. The commissioner shall, not later than eight weeks after receiving an application indicating approval from the local authority, inform the applicant in writing that the applicant's application for a state permit has been approved or denied, or that the results of the national criminal history records check have not been received. If grounds for denial become known after a temporary state permit has been obtained, the temporary state permit shall be immediately revoked pursuant to section 29-32.

It says nothing about providing a reason, just that they have to tell you that you were denied. So, the 'local authority' may decide they do not want handguns in their district, and deny your claim.

You do have the right to appeal to the BFPE. This can take 2-3 years @ current, and based on previous records, does not seem to yield a favorable response. In most cases, they side with the state, but not all.

To follow up: I did not send back the 'give us access to everything form' at all, but instead wrote a letter explaining that, as it was optional according to the law, I chose not to submit it or grant such permission. That said, I did include proof of my firearm saftey instructor’s training and copies LTC’s from 4 other states. I received my CT LTC today. If anyone want a copy of the letter I sent, send me a PM.

I'm looking at a DPS-799 and there is nothing about disclosure.

Are you saying this question is only on the non-resident application??

Don

There's a form that comes in the non-resident packet when they mail it out, it's very vague. It was optional so I didn't fill it out, but I got my permit back in about 1.5 months anyway.

Back
Top Bottom