Friends Sig Mosquito issue binding when slide is pulled back

Middle earth and there's a battle brewing
I was out shooting with a buddy on sunday and he was having the damdest time with his mosquito. He was shooting Super X winchester rounds out of it. Then we tried CCI mini mags from the 50 round blue boxes and whatever else we could find but in my estimation if it cant fire either of the above its probably a gun problem. It was stove piping, FTE, FTF Light strikes the gambit. He asked me to take it home and give it a look. We got it pretty dirty after shooting. I could remove the magazine and pull the slide back and it would stay back?? kind of had a crunchy feeling at the end of the pull when pulling back the slide.

I then broke it down and near the back where the 2 "rails" are that the slide rides on the finish is gone and its bare metal and a little rough (burred). My question is has anyone heard of this? Should i try to file it down myself (no where near a wannabe gunsmith let alone a real one) or just have him send it to Sig? Your thoughts are appreciated, i even appreciate if you just give me shit because i called something by the wrong name!!

Thanks in advance..

I have one and it shoots the mini-mags all day long without issue. I'd send it back to Sig. That being said, I do make sure to apply extra lubricant right in the area you described.

yeah it was lubed up even that day, we took the slide off and it was still nice and "wet" in that area.. even after cleaning/lubing i can almost get the slide to stay back if i pull it back and release gently. I think the recoil spring had a small bow to it when taken out and layed on the table but i think there is something else going one here.

Has this always happened, or is this a brand new Mosquito ? Don't they come with 2 recoil springs , if so have you installed the other one ? Are you using grease or oil on the slide ? Shooting indoors or outdoors ? Sorry for the questions, just trying to dial in the conditions a bit. Does the slide stay back when the mag is in the mag well ?

Using oil (hoppes) not grease. Slide stays back with the mag when pulled manually in except sometimes when firing big concern is the abnormal wearing on the frame where back of slide rides. I told him best brt is to send to sig. I will have him post a few pics so you can see what i mean.

Has this always happened, or is this a brand new Mosquito ? Don't they come with 2 recoil springs , if so have you installed the other one ? Are you using grease or oil on the slide ? Shooting indoors or outdoors ? Sorry for the questions, just trying to dial in the conditions a bit. Does the slide stay back when the mag is in the mag well ?

^ This. I was going to recommend maybe swapping out the recoil spring for the other one that comes with the gun. The minimags should shoot fine with the spring that comes in the gun, but I never had any luck with Super X in my Mosquito when I had it. I could feed it Federal bulk 22 if I used the other recoil spring, but after 100-150 rounds it would get fairly dirty and didn't want to play nice anymore.

if it hasnt been worn in do yourself a favor, that gun likes polishing and light oil. make sure the guide rod is wet, polish the face of the hammer, and the portion of the slide where the hammer meets it. reduce the sliding resistance, it makes the gun very happy.

Dom

if it hasnt been worn in do yourself a favor, that gun likes polishing and light oil. make sure the guide rod is wet, polish the face of the hammer, and the portion of the slide where the hammer meets it. reduce the sliding resistance, it makes the gun very happy.

Dom

^this^
I polished the face of the hammer, and under the slide where they rub together. works wonders!

right? ours runs with every kind of garbage and premium ammo i run thru it except the winchester Dynapoint for some reason. does not like to extract, which is odd for that gun. as a matter of fact polishing the feed ramp and magazine lips, and extractor face also makes it super reliable, just some food for thought.

Dom

Sig used to ship two different springs, but now both are the same, I believe. just an extra due to the way they are disassembled/assembled. Very easy to bend or flatten the spring if not careful.

Sig also provides a small sample of grease that works great. Try that instead of the oil.

Back
Top Bottom